Mexico
Licks: 2
Punk
case211  
13 Jan 2010 23:55 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 2
Licks: 6
something that makes people come to tears(NOT EMO). Did that to myself tonight(though already pretty down :( )and it was definitely more impressive to myself than any other "metal riff" I've come up with. Not sure what type of music that might be, maybe a ballad? something that makes a person feel alone and saddened too, though I really don't know how to categorize those properly since I don't mean rock n' roll or metal or punk... definitely a ballad of some sort though.
AlexB  
14 Jan 2010 03:14 | Quote
Mexico
Case, what you might refer to is called MUSIC,that's music. Any style any tempo.
Empirism  
14 Jan 2010 05:52 | Quote
Finland
Lessons: 4
Yeah, think about it that way... first we have to specify the consept "skill"... well... if it comes to "most skill", we have to specify the consept "most skill"... but then we have to know, what are the priorities of "most skill"... I think it vary a lot in different musical genres... since the world have so many music genres and subgenres for different music genres that old bluesmens lost a track how many there even are...

well... I think many of people lean to idea, that ground to consept "most skill" is your technical ability to play a guitar. Since when there are so many areas in "technical ability", its hard to specify which area we have to examine to get response to question which area is most difficult to play and does it vary in different types of music...

allright, I think that every type of music require a most skill to play them perfectly.

Empirism
EMB5490  
14 Jan 2010 07:03 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 1
Licks: 1
how on g@ds earth is it punk? lol or were u joking?
gx1327  
14 Jan 2010 07:39 | Quote
United States
well.... most punk IS very fast... plus a lot of screaming if you are also the singer...? this is sort of a moot topic though.
case211  
14 Jan 2010 07:47 | Quote
United States
@alex

lol I wouldn't call it any type of music, since slayer doesn't really make me cry so much as headbang at 6 AM(yes I put on "Seasons in the Abyss" that early)

Though there isn't any one style that is going to be harder than every other style to play, since, well people adapt and are naturally going to be better at one thing than another person might be at another :P
I agree with gx1327 though too, this is a moot topic.
AlexB  
14 Jan 2010 14:06 | Quote
Mexico
Lol yeah I was joking about punk.

The thing is, you may not cry listening to slayer at 6 am, but a true hardcore headbanging fan might do,and if that's the case, the music might have reached its true meaning, getting into the listener. Don't know if I explained myself well
BodomBeachTerror  
14 Jan 2010 14:23 | Quote
Canada
that sad music that makes people cry doesnt have anything to do with skill imo. im going to agree with case when he said people are better at somethings than another, like a shredder can shred the crap out of his guitar, which takes skill. but might not be able to play something like SRV, which is a whole new ball game of guitar playing
case211  
14 Jan 2010 14:34 | Quote
United States
yeah, I prefer to say that skill is never going to comparable since SRV was an amazing blues player, but, I'm not sure he could pull off Paul Gilbert very well, and well vice versa.
Every genre has it's own skill involved, which you can't really compare most musical styles because of it. Also many players draw from multiple things for playing, like blues, rock, heavy metal, flamenco, exotic scales in use(like Hungarian minor?). It's just very hard to find common ground between 2 guitarists seeing as how most don't have all the same influences and interests.

@alex
Now I see what you meant :D I do agree, if the music makes the person feel something(really anything) I say that it is quite good, I just think that making people feel sad is something notable.
Notim  
14 Jan 2010 18:55 | Quote
United States
I think that the music that takes the most skill is trying to find or write a type or diff a style that has not been played....sry...just being honest
case211  
14 Jan 2010 19:16 | Quote
United States
you do have a very valid point though...hmmmm I'd say that is very true.
Afro_Raven  
15 Jan 2010 05:36 | Quote
United Kingdom
This is actually a question that my course dedicated an entire module to last year.
The 2 questions you need to answer are:
1. Define 'music'
2. Define the ultimate purpose of music.

When you can answer both of those coherently, not only will you be one of the cleverest people in the history of the world, but also answer the initial question put forward.

Study well, young padawan...

Afro
case211  
15 Jan 2010 07:00 | Quote
United States
Here's what I might have tried to answer those with:

1. Music is another form of communication from the human mind using precise vibrations/noises to form a "melody", or selection of notes that sound very good when played together.
2. The ultimate purpose of music may be to get deeper emotions across that may be hard to explain using words. Music may be used to get an audience to feel the same as you do emotionally about anything.

I'm guessing those are pretty poor answers lol

So what class did you take that got you these questions? and did you ever find/figure out either answer?
Afro_Raven  
15 Jan 2010 08:54 | Quote
United Kingdom
Well attempted case, but here's what you need to think about:

1. Define 'very good'?
2. Why do both sentences use 'may be'? For the answer to be coherent, the thing either 'is' or 'isn't' - no 'may be'.

Please don't think I'm having a dig at you btw, just trying to get you thinking. And actually, those we some pretty decent answers for a frist attempt!

Afro
case211  
15 Jan 2010 09:02 | Quote
United States
lol yeah, that's the tricky part about it though, I'm not entirely sure about my "theories"! lol
These would be my two answers using what you also got me to think about:
1. Music is another form of communication from the human mind using precise vibrations/noises to form a "melody", or selection of those noises(called notes) that sound appealing to the human ear when played in a certain order.

2. The ultimate purpose of music is to get deeper emotions, that are quite difficult to materialize with words. Music is used to get an audience to feel those said emotions in order to better connect and relate to the musician(s).

I'm fairly certain that those are coherent answers now, even though I did have to resist heavily to use "may be" lol

PS thanks for getting me to think a little bit deeper into the answers/questions :D
carlsnow  
15 Jan 2010 14:49 | Quote
United States
Afro_Raven says:
1. Define 'very good'?
2. Why do both sentences use 'may be'? For the answer to be coherent, the thing either 'is' or 'isn't' - no 'may be

a wonderful essay-ish commentary addressing this written by the insanely brilliant Brian Eno exists out there in web-land, (i have hard-copy and will scan if need be)
I'll try and snoop it out for ya.

RAWK!
Cs
Notim  
15 Jan 2010 17:43 | Quote
United States
Defining very good is something that the person that is hearing it can understand and relate too, but can,t play it.
The purpose of music is for the person that can play, but doesn't comm well and they express there self, in this manner

I tryed....lol
Domigan_Lefty  
15 Jan 2010 18:24 | Quote
United States
@afro, all four can have many meanings, its mostly opinion
Notim  
15 Jan 2010 18:52 | Quote
United States
Dom....you just said nothing.....we know that its all opinion....lol
Notim  
15 Jan 2010 19:43 | Quote
United States
Sry Dom That came out wrong.
Empirism  
15 Jan 2010 21:02 | Quote
Finland
Lessons: 4
Defining something that cannot be proven to be true by any concrete evidences is if not imposible, atleast very hard. So we actually cant say "is" or "isn't" because of that. (what im thinkin')

Or is it possible to have an truth that is proven to be true by any concrete evidences, that give definiton of music or ultimate purpose of music?

Are emotions concrete evidences that can be pointed to be resource to where our definitions are partly based for?

as an consept, ultimate purpose of music sound to me words, that cant have solid ground if those words are not borned from the meaning itself.

If there was first the consept and then we have to find a definiton for it, our approach is wrong.

...oh well, my late night couple of cents...good night.
Empirism
Guitarslinger124  
15 Jan 2010 23:08 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 12
Licks: 42
What you are seeing here is the birth of some holy discussion waiting to happen. Define "purpose"? That's a little deep. I think for most of us, purposes are beyond what we are capable of understanding. There is some greater being out there who has decided the purpose of music (Unless you believe in the big bang theory, in which case, music has no sufficient purpose other than to please yourself). We will probably never know its thoughts or intentions. Perhaps the purpose of music is for the good of evil, or perhaps for the downfall of good. I'll be willing to bet though, and this is similar to what Case said, the purpose for music is to help different people respond and react to each other. The only other things I can think of, off the top of my head, that the socially polar opposite people in our screwed up world will drop their hats to come together as one for are things that are essential to our survival as human beings, such as food (sorry PITA if it's you or survival... well survival wins), water, human rights, saving the planet and others similar. Music brings these people together in very much the same manner. Where else will you find American soldiers head banging next to Neo Nazi skin F**** than at a Rammstein concert? Anyone from Philly will tell you that we don't like illegal Mexicans. We hate them. All of them. But go to a heavy metal concert and I bet you'll see us drinking a beer with a couple of 'em.

Music is whatever you want it to be. Heard of the quote: Music to my ears? Yea. One mans trash is another mans treasure. Whatever floats your boat. There is no set standard for what music is. Some people bang on trash cans pluck racks in refrigerators and call it music. Hate to break it to you, but noise is music. OR maybe silence is music.

Rock on.
AlexB  
15 Jan 2010 23:20 | Quote
Mexico
Main Purpose of music: entertainment
JazzMaverick  
16 Jan 2010 07:04 | Quote
United Kingdom
Lessons: 24
Licks: 37
I like this...

deefa  
16 Jan 2010 07:04 | Quote
United Kingdom
In an attempt to answer Afro's two questions:-

1)A pleasant sound that attracts and holds an individuals attention.

2)To achieve a feeling of well being by creating a surge of positive emotion.
btimm  
18 Jan 2010 12:48 | Quote
United States
To me, the perfect definition of music that requires the most skill can be summed up in one song: Little Wing.

It combines amazing technique, phenomenal creativity, and emotion that is rivaled by very few songs ...

Just my two cents.
BodomBeachTerror  
18 Jan 2010 13:07 | Quote
Canada
2 words, Tuba... Shred
Ozzfan486  
18 Jan 2010 14:14 | Quote
United States
Not really on topic, but great vid Jazz. It all made perfect sense too because I'm studying the atom in my science class atm. Thanks for that.

Ozz
Schecter_player  
18 Jan 2010 22:58 | Quote
Canada
They're still a ways from actually coming up with a unified theory though. Anyway, who can imagine 10 dimensions?
future_god_of_the_axe  
19 Jan 2010 00:46 | Quote
United States
if you think that any one style of music is harder than the other, than your not playing it right.
PT_Cruiser42  
19 Jan 2010 15:11 | Quote
United Kingdom
I personally reckon jazz requires the most skill, that's just what I find though.
EMB5490  
19 Jan 2010 15:44 | Quote
United States
i think it matters what instrument and if you writing or not...
Domigan_Lefty  
19 Jan 2010 20:24 | Quote
United States
Id say stringing a floyd with 3 springs and .08 strings to a floyd with 3 springs and .10 strings with a completely shredded screw that wont let you put in more springs and a retarded tuner and ive been doing this for 3 hours.

I say its not music that takes skill, its restringing a floyd rose... Good night.
Notim  
20 Jan 2010 20:00 | Quote
United States
Bro...You don,t take off all the strings at one time, One string and replace the tention never comes off the rose, then adjust.
Domigan_Lefty  
21 Jan 2010 04:59 | Quote
United States
Yea, but .08s to .10s? That bridge is gonna stick up, no matter how you do it. Plus, i have only 3 springs, i had to adjust the springs and claw for enough tension. Then, i couldnt even get tuned because of not enough tension, plus, remember? tune one sharp, the othes go flat? Then intonating. After 4our hours of fighting, i got it to drop c, with a capo on 2nd fret making it drop from there.

And i did do one at a time. Im not stupid.

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.