Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

rap, why?!?!?

General Chat
1 2 3
KicknGuitar  
9 Apr 2008 20:20 | Quote
Lessons: 6
Don't you think it would be interesting to see how rap came around? If that was offered at my college... I guess i have some research to do, but for a quick, unsound source,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rapping

I think it takes your environment/biological factors which will lead to your openness and crave for something new. It could be going from Classical to Hispanic, or Rock to Jazz, or Rap to Reggae.

I wouldn't be surprised to see rap originating from funk. Take something upBEAT and danceable, keep the rhyme schemes, except give a greater focus on the words as opposed to the backing music. It's like a flip. The focus of melodic voice switches to an oratory ability to speak in some artistic form. Over the years, technology allowed for a quicker way for producing possibly. Which leads me to techno.

What do you guys feel about techno? By far quite computerized but does require the ability to compose. Or even look at Nerve, a LIVE techno band, live keyboard, bass, vocals, drums AND Live sound production incorporating effects such as delay, distortion, chorus... anything you can think up, all done instantaneously.

To deny talent in either field would be like claiming no writer can write well, or engineer to produce something worthwhile. Its an invention of something universal or at least relative to us on a mass scale. And to do that doesn't happen to everyone every day. Maybe I'm too open about it all, but I feel I learn so much more from moving onto another plateau. It's a great sense of understanding, and gaining knowledge.
league  
9 Apr 2008 22:12 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 2
See kicknguitar, you said it yourself
KicknGuitar says:
give a greater focus on the words as opposed to backing music

Maybe its poetry but no musical significance. Specilly when the music is not theirs.
Doz  
10 Apr 2008 01:59 | Quote
United Kingdom
Leauge: what about scratching? It's rhythmic. What about mixing breakbeats? It's a skill... if you have a look at quick mixing on decks you'll see. And then their are the great lyrcists, and arrangers. Also, the studio techniques. I see hip hop as musically signifcant.

And as Kicknguitar said sort of mentioned: rap did come from funk. Funk breakbeats made by early hip hop artists (Grandmaster Flash, Afrika Bambaataa). It also had other influences but this was a major one.
KicknGuitar  
11 Apr 2008 19:00 | Quote
Lessons: 6
league says:
See kicknguitar, you said it yourself. no musical significance. Specilly when the music is not theirs.

Two things,
I did not say "no musical significance." In fact I said the opposite, Greater focus, does not mean i am or am not diminishing anything, There is one height( in this case the focus upon the backing music) and there is another which is raised above the other, that is "greater." in fact, to say the backing music is not important in rap just leaves us with some slam poetry, no? But because it's there, and the two communicate with each-other it requires attention of both. Maybe I was wrong to give the idea of one is above the other, as Doz pointed out, DJing (scratching) is something that requires technique too, and has a big part of hip hop. You don't just start sounding good by touching a turntable, it requires work just like driving, writing, reading, typing, playing guitar.

If the "backing music" isn't important in rap, would it still be called rap? There's a reason its there, as opposed to being left out. Think of rap as a fusion of funk and spoken word. For this art form, it requires both.

It would be amazing to see bands follow in the footsteps of Nerve, especially with using reverse engineering( I think thats what it is called when you sound engineering live), it would definitely open more people up to hip hop.

Secondly, to say the music isn't theirs is like saying Jimi Hendrix and Led Zepplin weren't original or for that matter, any band that covers another's songs. On top of that you have artists who learn a lick and change it around. many people learn from playing others work, and usually end up stealing a technique. Just because some rap artists incorporate clips of others does not mean its a reason to disbelieve it as an art form, or use as an excuse to not listen to it, woudl you do the same with jazz or rock?
GRX40  
11 Apr 2008 20:40 | Quote
United States
Licks: 1
What about a rap group like N.E.R.D? They have guitar and bass guitar, and they actually play it in concert, not like a pre-recorded sample.

Or the Roots, they have drums and bass and keyboards, and they have a real funk vibe.

How they not have musical significance? They are musicians, since they play "real" instruments, in person.
EMB5490  
11 Apr 2008 21:31 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 1
lol soljia boy plays live with a band. doesnt make tht rock. i have a feeling thers always gona be a music type thts argued against, the next i susspect is gona be some techo shit thing, thts worse then rap in my opinion. u agree
Doz  
11 Apr 2008 22:29 | Quote
United Kingdom
GRX: I think, even though the title of this thread would suggest anti-rap, it's really more focused on being anti-hip hop.

And Soljia Boy is a horrible example of a hip hop artist, please guys - if you're going to give examples pick Kanye West or Jay Z or something. Someone even half decent at least. :D
EMB5490  
12 Apr 2008 08:04 | Quote
United States
i no i was sayn tht even the wort have bands
GRX40  
12 Apr 2008 09:32 | Quote
United States
EMB5490 says:
lol soljia boy plays live with a band. doesnt make tht rock. i have a feeling thers always gona be a music type thts argued against, the next i susspect is gona be some techo shit thing, thts worse then rap in my opinion. u agree

I'm not saying it's rock, and that's not what I'm trying to say. It's NOT rock.

But the groups I mentioned are different than Soulja Boy's band because they are part of the group too.

Led Zeppelin wasn't called Robert Plant, even though Plant was the lead singer. Jimmy Page, John Bonham, and John Paul Jones were all integral parts of the band.

The same thing applies with the Roots. It's not named after one member of the group, since each member contributes as an integral part of the whole thing.

Soulja Boy could care less about who is playing his music. He isn't part of a band/group. He is a solo artist. His musicians probably change around all the time, and he won't care as long as they can play his song.
EMB5490  
12 Apr 2008 09:56 | Quote
United States
thts what i ment to say, he plays with diff bands and just plays his songs
GRX40  
12 Apr 2008 10:06 | Quote
United States
EMB5490 says:
thts what i ment to say, he plays with diff bands and just plays his songs

Yes. So Soulja Boy isn't actually part of a band.

But there are other groups (the Roots, or Rage Against the Machine) that are actually like bands, since they have the same members who actually write and perform the songs.
goodtunes  
16 Apr 2008 12:07 | Quote
United States
kinda off subject but lets look at NWA one of the first big time commericially successful "hard core" or "street" rap groups. now Ice Cube a founding member of NWA is a star in Disney family movies. Do you still think hes got some street cred back in compton?
davidbahar  
16 Apr 2008 12:26 | Quote
United Kingdom
Musical expression comes in many forms, rap music is musical expression like any other, if you can relate to it and understand what its getting at, you will love it, if not you will hate it, same for jazz pop and rock.
glad i found this site hi everyone
davidbahar.com
Doz  
16 Apr 2008 13:14 | Quote
United Kingdom
Hey, welcome to the site. Glad to have a new member. :D
EMB5490  
16 Apr 2008 14:35 | Quote
United States
welcome
gshredder2112  
30 Mar 2011 01:16 | Quote
United States
Licks: 3
rap tis weaks
nullnaught  
30 Mar 2011 01:36 | Quote
rap is my least favorite genre of music.
AlexB  
30 Mar 2011 01:38 | Quote
Mexico
Licks: 2
WHy? why to bring to life a topic that died 3 years ago??

Anyways,rap with some good music (extreme metal,dubstep) kicks ass
gshredder2112  
30 Mar 2011 01:49 | Quote
United States
@alex idk why boredom? seemed like an interesting topic? maybe ima troll idfk! anwyay i agree wit nullnaught.
BodomBeachTerror  
30 Mar 2011 02:40 | Quote
Canada
Sitting by myself; no no no

Sitting in a car with my friends havin a good time; yessss
gshredder2112  
30 Mar 2011 02:49 | Quote
United States
@bbt well im usually #1 of what u just said,but id rather be a loner,than somebody who listens to a certain type of music just to please other people,im not one for being a sell-out of my integrity...
neomass1  
30 Mar 2011 03:01 | Quote
United States
Ok fine if we are going to start this lets do this right.

What would you say is rap???

Rap is a art form of spoken or chanted rhyming lyrics, or a technique used in lyrics.

sooooooooooo... with that stated

Me, I think 90% of rap sucks, BUT 90% of everything sucks. Movies, Games, Books, and Music.
Think about that, how much music is out there? and how much of it do you hear? and how much of it is good? food for thought.

back to the topic the 10% of music has to be

Immortal Technique he is one of them "I'm talking about real S*^t kind of rappers, So its off an on with him and I. The way he puts his songs together, the layering, rhythm, and sampling are great and well done.

I dig Will Smith, but again I only like half of his music. His album Lost and Found was what I think to be his best album. A good mix of fun song, and meaning full story's full of emotion and meaning.

Now if you go out to the sub genres we getting to ALL KINDS OF FUN STUFF!

Linkin Park has to number one on my list
I thought their first two albums where amazing, Meteora has to be the better of the two. I didn't think Minutes to Midnight was a bad album, just didn't stand up to there 2nd album and I think people held that one them. As for there new album

ITS AMAZING, its no Meteora but nothing will be like that.

From every stand point of music this album hit every mark.

This song has some amazing rapping.

Then you Have Rage Against the Machine has to be another band that stands out.

They can talk for them self's

coleman  
30 Mar 2011 04:55 | Quote
United States
this topic is stupid! hip-hop is da bomb:

Mici  
30 Mar 2011 05:22 | Quote
Kosovo
I'll have to agree with what neomass said in the beginning of his post.
I don't listen to rap either (maybe with an exception or two in half a year or so) but come on, you have to stop the hating.
There have been so many discussions on similar subjects and so many people still go on classifying music as good or bad.
JazzMaverick  
30 Mar 2011 06:23 | Quote
United Kingdom
Lessons: 24
Licks: 37
Well... you guys are irritated with western rap - which is perfectly acceptable. But sometimes it can be pretty cool... Honestly guys - it may be crap or extremely bad to you, but the fact that they're actually out there - being successful kinda proves it's worth while.

Also, Jazz hasn't died in the slightest. Just because it's not spammed in your face like modern pop crap doesn't mean it's died - it is very much alive.

Anyway, this rap by Aesop Rock is one of my alltime favourites...

Lyrics can be pretty powerful if you take the time to read it. But it's the exact same in every genre - there will always be a poor attempt and you will sometimes have to dig through it for a while to find the best.
nullnaught  
30 Mar 2011 06:58 | Quote
Saying something is crap or sucks says something about yourself not what you are reffering to.

interesting video Jazz.

This song is cool in my opinion.

JazzMaverick  
30 Mar 2011 07:04 | Quote
United Kingdom
I LOVE THEM!!!!

I could spam that message for years. *bounces around* yeeaaaah baby.
nullnaught  
30 Mar 2011 07:16 | Quote
Some rap aint too bad..

This should not exist and im posting in shock that i actually found it.

JazzMaverick  
30 Mar 2011 07:28 | Quote
United Kingdom
AHAHAH I nearly forgot about this amazing song...

nullnaught  
30 Mar 2011 07:34 | Quote
Im coming to believe rap and disco are very related.

Cool song jazz.
btimm  
30 Mar 2011 08:59 | Quote
United States
There is definitely good rap out there. I prefer rap from the early and mid 90s personally when I do listen to it, which is rare nowdays, but artists like Ice Cube, Dr. Dre, Snoop Dog, Public Enemy, Scarface, A Tribe called Quest, etc, that is good music.

But I also think that ALL genres of music I listen to then and now was better then. Rock had Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins, Screaming Trees, and so many other bands. Metal had old Metallica, Pantera, Sepultura, etc. Even country had better music. However, I think for most people (not all), the music you grow up listening to will always sound better to you than anything else.

Anyways, that was a tangent. Yes, some rap is good music, no different than any other genre. I think people need to be less close-minded and realize there is really good music out there. I am not a huge fan of the more industrial type of music or whatever the rave stuff is called (Forgive my lack of knowledge for this genre name!), but a while back AlexB posted some stuff by Infected Mushroom and that group is awesome!! The point is, some of all music is good imo.
tinyskateboard  
30 Mar 2011 11:25 | Quote
United States
FAIL on reviving such a negative, stupid topic.
gshredder2112 says:
id rather be a loner,than somebody who listens to a certain type of music just to please other people,im not one for being a sell-out of my integrity...

So Shreddo, you won't shop at the grocery store since they play Musak in the background? At least you didn't talk about your testiculature this time!

Coleman had some great clips above, and I actually got turned on to Immortal Technique yesterday and have tickets for this weekend's show.
Mos Def can be great...anyway if you've never heard a genre, there is no need to say it sucks. Anyone who says an entire universe of music sucks can usually only name a pop version on that music.

Does Tuvan Throat Singing Suck? Does that goofy guy who plays 4 guitars suck? No...but hate sucks, and the Red Wings:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DY1pcEtHI_w

gx1327  
30 Mar 2011 12:28 | Quote
United States
AlexB says:
WHy? why to bring to life a topic that died 3 years ago??

honestly this is not a very popular forum. compared to the digital camera forum and other forums that i read, there aren't a lot of "new" topics on this site. (compared to a website where a post disappears from the front page after 2 days because so many new posts have been started)

gshredder2112  
30 Mar 2011 12:45 | Quote
United States
well@neomass sometimes you cant avoid certain things and you have to do them wether you like it or like listen to muzak in the grocery store,but i cant control what they play,so i just have to deal with it.
on the other hand if im in my car with my friends i can tell em to tu rn it off and such and i never said i hated rap,i said it tis weak,sure you can quote my profile where i said its crap,but that doesnt me i hate it,i just greatly dislike 90% of it.hate it is disliking something maliciously,i do go out and punch rappers,i just boo when they perform.

and on a side note i like the sugarhill gang,rage against the machine,and some oldschool rap,i just dislike newer you pop rap because it all sounds the same.

and finnally to anybody who told me reviving this thread is a bad idea,well this is an interesting topic that alot of nnewer members havent had a chance to read or comment on yet,it seems like alot of people WERE interested in it because they commented on it,and finnaly i dont see a rule that says you cant comment on old posts...ftw thanks Gx

other than^^^^ good morning agc (:
coleman  
30 Mar 2011 14:40 | Quote
United States
@gshred you are making yourself sound like a moron, i don't think you know the anything about hip hop. it is just like everyother genre of music no more or less valid.
nullnaught  
30 Mar 2011 14:45 | Quote
i like the idea of reviving old topics. And there is a lot of disco i like.
gshredder2112  
30 Mar 2011 15:25 | Quote
United States
@coleman i never said hip hop was not a valid genre nor did say i know anything about,i was just stating that i dislike it and that it sounds the same to my ear.
tinyskateboard  
30 Mar 2011 16:05 | Quote
United States
Disco.....Disco Funk
JazzMaverick  
30 Mar 2011 19:02 | Quote
United Kingdom
I think you all missed Gshred's point.

He's stating that he just quite simply doesn't like the genre - he never said anything about hating it. He's allowed to say it's crap - that doesn't mean it is.

I also don't think it's necessary to put in any effort in trying to change anyone's mind on the matter - because they're allowed their opinion, just the same as us.

And I'm assuming he's referring to poor attempted talent like 50 cent.. 'cause he's just immature on every level.

It's all gravy baby, why waste time hating when you can take advantage of their ignorance and be ten times better? Think about it. ;)
gshredder2112  
30 Mar 2011 19:33 | Quote
United States
wow jazzy you understand what i was gettn at A+
1 2 3

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.