I need a MASTER can anyone help?

Beginners
1 2
EMB5490  
6 Feb 2009 22:24 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 1
Licks: 1
kk i read this, saw a lot of misinformation and then guitar slinger who is always right. here is my input

get a teacher. get a book, take theory in school. the modes as said by gs are

ionian-major-I
dorian-minor-ii
phrygian-minor-iii
lydian-major-IV
mixolydian-major-V
aeolian-minor-vi
locrian-diminished-vii

a triad is a 3 note chord 1,3,5 the one 3 and 5th notes in a scale, maj chord 135, minor 1 flat3 5, dim, 1, flat 3, flat 5, beyond those chords takes some more understanding, those are really just the basics. memorize notes on fretboard, where you are nd stuff, learn scales, modes, connecting them, soloing diatonicly, then soloing out of diatonics but making it sound good (this is where i am now) then putting everything together and making an insane solo, this can take weeks, months, years, all matters. but one thing is for sure, if ur serious, u MUST MUST MUST MUST MUST MUST learn this.
shredder101  
6 Feb 2009 23:22 | Quote
Hey cloudfor, welcome to the forums! Being an Asian or not isn't important, all of us here understand each other for who and what we are.

Well, about your problem, start learning the basic chords shapes first, and after analyzing them (whether major or minor), start learning scales and so on. Learning is a process, just like any other thing, you should start from the basics!

Hope I helped!

And FYI, I'm Asian too! I'm from the Philippines. :)
JazzMaverick  
7 Feb 2009 10:05 | Quote
United Kingdom
Lessons: 24
Licks: 37
EMB, what we were saying was that it's way too early to mention the modes to him. He needs to study other things first.

Plus, just so you and everyone else knows; when you use the roman numerals for music, I - VII, you need to put them in capitals unless they're flattened. the lower case always indicates a flat.
e.g. I, II, iii, IV, V, VI, VII => which means there is a b3.

shredder101 says:
Being an Asian or not isn't important, all of us here understand each other for who and what we are.

Agreed.
RA  
7 Feb 2009 11:54 | Quote
United States
actually jazz i have seen it more commonly use to indicate minor and major(especially in more beginner theory learning dealing with JUST the diatonic major scale) it one of those times when you need to know both and not take anything out of context. music theory's funny like that
aaronz  
25 Feb 2009 01:24 | Quote
Too funny. I went into this thread because I saw 'BEGINNER' then I was quickly blown away by a bunch of words that I couldn't pronounce.

As a true beginner, the most motivational and useful thing for me to learn was power chords. Go ahead and start bashing me... I know...

If I didn't know about them and know songs that I could play with them, I probably would have given up.

Cloudfor, check out power chords. They are super easy to learn and you can play tons of songs that actually sound good right away. Sure, any hardcore guitar player will tell you that you're not REALLY playing guitar, but most people won't even know.

I started building a list of songs that you can play with power chords on my blog. There's an explanation of what they are too - although I gotta believe you can find it here too. If you want to check it out it's at: http://guitargodin90days.com/complete-guide-on-guitar-power-chords/

I know, corny name, but it was late and it was my goal at the time. Guitar God in 90 Days

Hope that helps.
JazzMaverick  
25 Feb 2009 12:29 | Quote
United Kingdom
You guys should seriously erase every form of power chords from your brain and start learning real chords!
madman3123  
26 Feb 2009 09:49 | Quote
United Kingdom
well power chords are easy and alot of people get depressed when they cant see any great progress

power chords are easy and can make an absolute beginner feel a bit more motivated it just depends on the person really
JazzMaverick  
26 Feb 2009 12:09 | Quote
United Kingdom
That's only for modern day beginners. Beginners should start with real chords otherwise they'll be lead to believe these "power chords" are real chords. You should always start with the open chords, then gradually work your way up the fretboard.
BodomBeachTerror  
26 Feb 2009 12:25 | Quote
Canada
Lessons: 2
electric guitar with distortion is when you use power chords. acoustic or clean dont sound so good with power chords.
JazzMaverick  
26 Feb 2009 14:07 | Quote
United Kingdom
Not really, again it's down to the musician on when they use what, it's also down to opinion on what sounds good. But power chords are the easy way out of learning music, when they aren't even chords to begin with...
macandkanga  
26 Feb 2009 15:24 | Quote
United States
I agree with Jazz on this. I'm a victim of power chords!

I used to play power chords only and play them wrong to boot! I would fret the top string with my index finger and play the next string with my pinky instead of my ring finger.

It took me months to unlearn this and play correctly. I also learned all of the open chords and how to properly play chords in all positions and how to transition. Not only is it the right thing to do but it's right for a reason. It makes it easier on YOU!

Yeah, power chords make it easier for the begginer but you will STAY a begginer and become unsatisfied in the long run.
cloudfor  
3 Mar 2009 08:28 | Quote
Malaysia
hmmm hmmmmm hmmmm
i learn a bit power chord also...
btw...wat means of real chord =.=?

like C ???
---|---|---
--3|---|---
---|-2-|---
---|---|---
---|---|-1-
---|---|--- this one?
vincejonesiii  
3 Mar 2009 11:11 | Quote
United States
im a shredder so i have to know my thoery
JazzMaverick  
3 Mar 2009 12:24 | Quote
United Kingdom
@ VJ, And how much theory do you know?

Cloudfor, a power chord is not a chord because it only contains two notes and the octave... root, fifth and the octave (e.g. C, G, C). Where an actual chord needs to have three or more notes to be a chord. (e.g. C, E, G)
cloudfor  
4 Mar 2009 05:19 | Quote
Malaysia
ic...:D
blackholesun  
4 Mar 2009 08:02 | Quote
United Kingdom
JazzMaverick says:
Where an actual chord needs to have three or more notes to be a chord.

When she said that she meant 3 different notes, repeats don't count!

macandkanga says:
I used to play power chords only and play them wrong to boot! I would fret the top string with my index finger and play the next string with my pinky instead of my ring finger.

Tony Iommi used to use his 1st and 4th fingers for power chords, and it never did him no harm, admittedly he lost the tips of his 2nd and 3rd fingers in an industrial accident though. Some guitarists use their 1st and 3rd fingers as well as their 2nd and 4th fingers, so they can quickly alternate a power chord with a power chord one fret up without having to shift their hand.

macandkanga  
4 Mar 2009 16:30 | Quote
United States
@blachkholesun,

That's true about Tony Iommi. I also consider him to be the father of all metal and have much respect. But he's limited. Not by choice but by his injuries. Also, he's Tony Iommi. I'm not. I want to be able to play more than just heavy metal barre chords. I want to shred. I need all my fingers and they need to all be in the right place to work as efficiently as possible.

Also, Jimmy Hendrix played with his thumb, some play with the strings reversed, some with their feet and so on. Do whatever you want to do I'm just saying why limit yourself if you don't have to. Most of the people above do what they do for a reason.
BodomBeachTerror  
4 Mar 2009 17:04 | Quote
Canada
Tony Iommi still had some shredding solos despite his lack of fingers
Ozzfan486  
4 Mar 2009 19:52 | Quote
United States
He made leather caps for his fingers though. Also, Tony always played in Drop D. Nobody thinks it but he did it so his fingers wouldn't hurt as much.
cloudfor  
19 Oct 2009 00:33 | Quote
Malaysia
ermm...guys, how to improve SCALE? just play like that? or any recommended method?
carlsnow  
19 Oct 2009 15:11 | Quote
United States
Learn 12 basic 'open chords' and a few Barres, (F and B)

Learn the Major scale ...in F, preferably

Then ask away! i'll be happy to help w/ whatever i can!

RAWK!
Cs
guitarmastergod  
19 Oct 2009 19:03 | Quote
Canada
hey carl,

i saw that you said learn the major scale in F but wouldnt it be more preferable to learn it in G, but i guess it doesnt matter.
JoshJones  
19 Oct 2009 20:49 | Quote
United States
if you learn the scale and its modes in F than it would simply shift up for G. By learning in F you go all the way up to the 12th fret without dealing with open scales.

See Carl, I have learned something from ya!
carlsnow  
20 Oct 2009 09:20 | Quote
United States
JoshJones says:
Copy and Paste quote here!

Ha ! ...wait till next lesson.

... " Man killed in Lydian-Dominant tangle , news at 6! "

RAWK!
Cs
JoshJones  
20 Oct 2009 09:50 | Quote
United States
Ah Crap, looks like death is imminent..... least its not the jazz chords yet! :)
case211  
20 Oct 2009 12:01 | Quote
United States
Licks: 6
@carl
lol
telecrater  
20 Oct 2009 20:22 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 8
carlsnow says:
... " Man killed in Lydian-Dominant tangle , news at 6! "

JoshJones says:
Ah Crap, looks like death is imminent..... least its not the jazz chords yet! :)

Josh, it was nice knowing ya'
carlsnow  
21 Oct 2009 08:00 | Quote
United States
telecrater says:
Josh, it was nice knowing ya'

what Josh?
1 2

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.