Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

Your New Year's Guitar Resolutions

General Chat
JustJeff  
7 Jan 2010 18:13 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 2
A little late, I know: But I was without internet access during New Year's due to a vacation, and I'm now back.

What goals are you setting for yourself to complete by the end of this year? I feel that everyone should set goals for their guitar playing and this is a great time to set them down to really start focusing on them.

For me, the list looks like this:

1) Work on my ear. Start writing instrumental versions to popular songs to test my ear.

2) Bring an old guitar with me to school to do work on (i.e. action, fret replacement, adjustments, etc.)

3) Perform at least 3 times in front of people in shows, gigs, or open mics.
BodomBeachTerror  
7 Jan 2010 18:15 | Quote
Canada
Licks: 1
I aint superstitious, if i want to change, why wait till the end of the year?
Schecter_player  
7 Jan 2010 18:57 | Quote
Canada
I also want to try to work on my ear, because its miserable right now. I also want to work on reading staff notation.
Domigan_Lefty  
7 Jan 2010 19:54 | Quote
United States
1. Play some songs with my bassist friend and other guitarists in my school.
2. STOP DROPPING THE WHAMMY BAR! Im gonna end up cracking the wood near the bridge or in the back soon.
JazzMaverick  
8 Jan 2010 01:46 | Quote
United Kingdom
Lessons: 24
Licks: 37
BBT, it's not being superstitous, it's about getting your act together and working hard this year - be much better than you were last year.

@ Jeff, I have a good program which might interest you for your ear training, it's called "Ear Master Pro" I think the newest verson is 5, teachest you inversion, chords, intervals, note values etc. etc. There's a free trial out too.
case211  
8 Jan 2010 04:54 | Quote
United States
Licks: 6
Let my creative and experimental music side run free!

also, let my playing show more emotion/soul!

I have a couple other's but they aren't about guitar playing.
deefa  
8 Jan 2010 08:54 | Quote
United Kingdom
Finish off all the musical projects I started and never finished last year. That should just about see me through 'till 2011!
JustJeff  
8 Jan 2010 09:03 | Quote
United States
@Jazz
What is the name of this said program? I would like to check it out. Hopefully it has a complete beginner section ^.^

Though, I am getting a bit better... but I would love it if I could get rid of a lot of the guesswork that I do. :(
vincejonesiii  
8 Jan 2010 09:57 | Quote
United States
mine is to ... start playing acoustic songs along with electric songs..
.. cus i started out on electric and went to acoustic and its kind of confusing for me but .. ill have a new song by sunday :D
JazzMaverick  
8 Jan 2010 14:03 | Quote
United Kingdom
Lessons: 24
Licks: 37
It's called "Ear Master Pro 5" and yeah, it has a beginner - Expert level. I really like it.
BodomBeachTerror  
8 Jan 2010 18:43 | Quote
Canada
okay not really superstition, more like a tradition. i still will change something about me whenever i want
JustJeff  
8 Jan 2010 18:59 | Quote
United States
@bbt
It's not like we're trying to buy in to some thing that is being sold to us. The new year allows us to try and start fresh, correct mistakes that we have been making. For most people who put this kind of stuff off (like I do), we need a reason to do it.

New Year's is a great reason to do it :)
Ozzfan486  
8 Jan 2010 21:10 | Quote
United States
1) Improve, obviously.

2) As Mr. Ferrell said, play with more soul [hahaha. Just messin' with a ya dude. But I am going to hop on the soul train with ya.]

3) Pick things up faster. I already do get things within about 10 minutes of hearing if it isn't to blazing, but I'd like to be able to decipher shred better.

4) For a fun non-geetar resolution, pick the women'z better. I did better last year, but got ONE local chick whose dad was a d1ck, and about 3 crazy MyYearbook ho's [If you have a MyYearbook account, you know what I'm talking about lol].

5) I almost forgot the ongoing quest! To get a band going.

With love,

Ozz
case211  
9 Jan 2010 01:02 | Quote
United States
@ozz

lol There's a lot of people that link me to Will Ferrell! lol(hopefully you were aiming that at me lol)

Also bands are a lot work, but are so much fun after you can get past the meet up for practice, end up jamming stage and actually get some direction for covers and originals you want to play

Just had practice actually, twas good to come back from AZ and meet up with the band and freaking rock the house down(literally stuff was falling from some shelves! lol)

good luck man, just be careful in who you choose for your bandmates. :D
Ozzfan486  
9 Jan 2010 01:21 | Quote
United States
Haha. Yeh, it was 2 you dude. I heard you say about the Ferrell thing in some other thread. And cool. Were you just practicing or was it a gig?
case211  
9 Jan 2010 01:34 | Quote
United States
just practice lol

Was fun though, we ran everything 2 times! and we made the final change to Mr. Crowley for our Battle of the COVER Bands(Sad face since we have a couple of decent originals) song.

so much fun to play in a band man, once you get going and get on track with a goal in mind, it's a lot of fun to meet up once or twice a week and play together :D

For me, whether it's practice or gigging it's a lot of fun, it's basically just jamming with reason for me and my friends, and I was headbanging so hard tonight I actually ended up losing my glasses! lol
Crazy Train's opening riff + me headbanging riconculously = flying glasses of doom! lol
Empirism  
9 Jan 2010 05:33 | Quote
Finland
Lessons: 4
1st. Stay on rhythm more, even without drums or metronome.
2nd. Complete my experiments with major and minor scales to nail them into spine.
3rd. Practise melodic approach.
Guitarslinger124  
9 Jan 2010 14:11 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 12
Licks: 42
Playing guitar to keep my sanity over the next year :)
navitello  
12 Jan 2010 12:33 | Quote
United States
I agree with Bodom. No need to wait to set goals.

My goals are:

To build some confidence. I want to get on stage at some point. I'm not afraid of the crowd I'm afraid of not being prepared.

#2. I need to start hanging out with people that actually play. That will help I think.

Good luck to all with reaching there goals this year I'll help any way I can.

Later.
carlsnow  
12 Jan 2010 13:50 | Quote
United States
odd i didn't see this till now!

i make no resolutions

to me the whole 'resolution' bag reminds me of (ugh) "thanksgiving"
EVERY day should be a day of thanksgiving (wife, guitar, music-gen, Dawgs, the SEC....etc) AS WELL AS a day to ask oneself
"what could i do(or not do) that would improve myself and/or my surroundings."

RAWK!
Cs

BodomBeachTerror  
12 Jan 2010 13:54 | Quote
Canada
well said carl
Musical_Magic  
12 Jan 2010 18:50 | Quote
United States

I suck right now, lololol
Musical_Magic  
12 Jan 2010 18:53 | Quote
United States

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.