Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

The biggest decision in my guitar career

Instruments and Gear
1 2
Musical_Magic  
3 Feb 2009 21:28 | Quote
United States
So, i was listening to je...I mean...jimi hendrix, and i was thinking about a few thoughts...

"I need a new guitar...But most guitars are right handed.., and the lefties are expensive!"

"I want to prove to people that i'm smart at music...How should i do that?"

And, i looked at jesus..i mean, jimi hendrix's guitar...And i Had it!

I'm going from a whole diffrent approch,

I'm gonna go backwards..

Wish me luck people...(At least i wont have to buy a lefty every time xD)

And yes, i know i've been watching too much jesus chr...I mean jimi hendrix..
RA  
3 Feb 2009 21:39 | Quote
United States
huh?
buy right handed restring it. it's easy
BodomBeachTerror  
3 Feb 2009 21:55 | Quote
Canada
Lessons: 2
Licks: 1
i do believe that jimi had a left handed guitar but had it stringed as a right handed one. correct me if im wrong im not huge into jimi hendrix
RA  
3 Feb 2009 22:00 | Quote
United States
no he had right hand look at it it's up side down

http://download-blog.chip.eu/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/rockroll_026_jimi_hendrix.jpg
BodomBeachTerror  
3 Feb 2009 22:04 | Quote
Canada
ohh he had a right handed guitar and played it left handed
Phip  
3 Feb 2009 22:10 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 1

Hendrix's guitar, a 1968 Fender Stratocaster with a sunburst finish that was modified to accommodate his left-handed use, sold for a staggering $168,000, well above its pre-sale estimate of $80,000 to $120,000.

The guitar has been kept at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland since the museum's opening in 1996.

RA  
3 Feb 2009 22:46 | Quote
United States
now I'm not one of those people that generally care about this stuff but when your spending that much on a guitar something is wrong with you or us i might add(I mean the world in general). then just to put it on a self till it rots??? is that really what jimi would of wanted hell he would more then likely of burn it if he knew and I'm with em lets burn it shove it up there rock and roll hall of fame asses their dumb anyway
RelaxedDude  
3 Feb 2009 23:15 | Quote
United States
Licks: 2
Lol, valid point but some people like that stuff

Nothing is wrong with them, its just a difference of perspective

Im sure there are people who question why we spend hours on end just making different notes on a peice of wood (I play acoustic) when we could spend our time doing what they deem appropriate

Theres alot of different people out there man
Afro_Raven  
4 Feb 2009 05:42 | Quote
United Kingdom
Think you took the whole jesus/hendrix metaphor too far really.

Afro
brodyxhollow  
4 Feb 2009 08:11 | Quote
United States
Afro_Raven says:
Think you took the whole jesus/hendrix metaphor too far really.

Yeah, Jimi so much was much cooler. I kid, I kid. But in all seriousness, good luck with what your trying to do. Jimi definitely played a right handed guitar strung upside down, so it's completely possible, though you'll have to modify the intonation.
telecrater  
4 Feb 2009 19:24 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 8
jimi hendrex is/was over rated but it brings up a good point. If you suck playing on a "better" guitar ain't going to fix that. You'll still suck but you'll suck on a good guitar.
JustJeff  
5 Feb 2009 11:02 | Quote
United States
A better guitar will definitely make a bad guitarist sound better. I mean, there are some people that just can't be saved, but there are others who can be.

I know in my opinion, using an epiphone to play my style of music does not work, and my guitar sounds like **, and in turn makes me sound like **. Howeer, if i play on my OM03 Larrivee ($1000 guitar), my tone and sound is much much better.

Guitars create tone, tone makes a guitarist.
foogered  
5 Feb 2009 11:47 | Quote
United States
Licks: 11
I STRONGLY disagree, JustJeff. Look at Jeff Beck:

He detested the whole "signature tone" state-of-mind of guitarists at the time and instead strove to make the guitar sound like something totally new using various techniques (but not by buying the best guitar he could). In fact, as I listen to some of his music, it sounds like he used the most terrible guitars he could find some times!

Also, I think you're using a poor example. You're comparing tone on an electric guitar to tone on an acoustic guitar. THEY'RE PRACTICALLY DIFFERENT INSTRUMENTS! :P
macandkanga  
5 Feb 2009 12:16 | Quote
United States
@Musical, if you mean you're right handed and you are going to buy a left-handed guitar and play left-handed that's a whole other story. Good luck with that.

@telecrater, Hendrix over rated!!!??
BodomBeachTerror  
5 Feb 2009 12:25 | Quote
Canada
macandkanga says:
@telecrater, Hendrix over rated!!!??

i think he meant by people calling him jesus, which he obviously, is not
JustJeff  
5 Feb 2009 16:18 | Quote
United States
foogered says:
Copy and Paste quote here!

A better instrument will always make you sound better, but it will not make your music sound better >.
Empirism  
5 Feb 2009 16:43 | Quote
Finland
Lessons: 4
Ofcourse it make you sound better, because they are better sounds, well, who listens what, but for me complex "technically superior" poor sounded compositions do not work as well as good sounding stuff.

Music is also athmospheres, and for me better sounding instruments and sounds make better athmospheres and thatway for me better music. As an whole.
soy.el.che  
5 Feb 2009 17:13 | Quote
Mexico
i met a guy that used a righties guitar and was a leftie, he left the strings as they were and now he plays way 2 good.. if i were u i would buy any guitar and play it upside doown
RA  
5 Feb 2009 17:17 | Quote
United States
both opinions are right but i diffidently side with foogered and i ****ty guitarist can sound good can't they(they still suck unless REMIX).
league  
6 Feb 2009 12:17 | Quote
United States
Hendrix is definitely overrated. He was a very talented electric guitar player that was creative but that's all he was.

His guitar definitely made him sound better.

I mean some may argue that feedback or distortion is an art form of its own but I believe a true guitarist should be able to play on any guitar.
BodomBeachTerror  
6 Feb 2009 12:22 | Quote
Canada
league says:
Hendrix is definitely overrated. He was a very talented electric guitar player that was creative but that's all he was.

and a heavy influence on rock n roll
league  
6 Feb 2009 12:37 | Quote
United States
Yeah in retrospect I realized was wrong. Hendrix was a good performer and embodied the 60's.

I still think hes overrated.

As for the lefty guitar dont buy one unless you have excess hundred dollar bills lying around.

Hendrix and other left handed guitar players just restrung it.
blackholesun  
6 Feb 2009 13:30 | Quote
United Kingdom
I'm left handed, but I play right-handedly, and I know quite a few people who do the same. It's useful because you can pick up pretty much any guitar and play it, and you have a lot more coordination for forming complex chord shapes.

Musical_Magic says:
I want to prove to people that i'm smart at music...How should i do that?

Simple, don't act as if Hendrix is the only great, influencial musician to ever pick up a guitar...

JustJeff  
6 Feb 2009 13:53 | Quote
United States
As Blackholesun said (great song by the way, I love it), most left-handed players play right handed, just because of the fact that you can easily pick up any guitar and play it.

I know after experiencing the agonizing pain of left-handed sports, that left handed guitar would just not be worth it, so I forced to learn right handed, and that ended up being more natural for me to play anyway.
macandkanga  
6 Feb 2009 14:15 | Quote
United States
I don't think you've listened to enough Hendrix if you still think he is over rated.

JazzMaverick  
6 Feb 2009 14:54 | Quote
United Kingdom
Lessons: 24
Licks: 37
I like Jimmy Hendrix, but I still think he's over rated. He was great because Acid helped his creativity, but it also took him too far, and then sometimes it lacked any decency.

Funnily enough, I'm right handed and I started out playing left handed guitars. But now I play a right handed one. Ambidextrous I guess.
Musical_Magic  
6 Feb 2009 15:56 | Quote
United States
Ok, before this starts i want to say one thing...

Right handed is not an option for me! I am not going to Get a whole diffrent feeling.. and, besides...Would you like it if i said "Just go play left handed" ?
blackholesun  
6 Feb 2009 18:01 | Quote
United Kingdom
JazzMaverick says:
I like Jimmy Hendrix

Epic mistake!

@Musical_Magic, what do you mean by a whole different feeling, and what are you playing at the moment? If you're playing right-handed and thinking of switching to left-handed, then you would be better off sticking as you are. If you have a left-handed guitar and are thinking of buying a right-handed guitar and restringing it, then I don't think it's that big a deal.
JazzMaverick  
6 Feb 2009 18:40 | Quote
United Kingdom
Matter of opinion, BHS. I'm not doing so bad, so I'm pretty sure it's not a mistake :)

Musical Magic, play what you want, it's down to what makes you feel good. We're here to give opinions, doesn't mean you need to follow them. Do what you want. :D
blackholesun  
6 Feb 2009 19:05 | Quote
United Kingdom
I wasn't referring to whether you like Hendrix or not, I was referring to the fact you called him "Jimmy"! I myself really like his music.
Guitarslinger124  
6 Feb 2009 19:38 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 12
Licks: 42
Jimi Hendrix said himself after playing his last show at montery (however you spell it) that there was nothing more he could add to the music world. and i couldnt agree more. jimi hendrix was a blues rock player, nothing more. he played one genre, one tone, one sound. i love hendrix, electric ladyland is one of my favorite albums, but he was in no was shape or form a "guitar god" (said in reference to the jesus metaphor). he was inovative and creative and knew his blues thats about it.

@musical_majic: just do what you do, dont try and immitate anyone. play what sounds good to you and play stuff that evokes your own emotion, in my opinion, thats all that matters.
Guitarslinger124  
6 Feb 2009 19:39 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 12
Licks: 42
who cares anyway?
JazzMaverick  
7 Feb 2009 09:58 | Quote
United Kingdom
hahaha. So I did. Ah well.
Empirism  
7 Feb 2009 10:20 | Quote
Finland
Lessons: 4
Guitarslinger124 says:
Jimi Hendrix said himself after playing his last show at montery (however you spell it) that there was nothing more he could add to the music world. and i couldnt agree more. jimi hendrix was a blues rock player, nothing more. he played one genre, one tone, one sound. i love hendrix, electric ladyland is one of my favorite albums, but he was in no was shape or form a "guitar god" (said in reference to the jesus metaphor). he was inovative and creative and knew his blues thats about it.

Agreed. But from other perspective, he changed the whole guitar playing world. None was played like he before. He practically showed what you can do with that axe with his visonary style. And that make him one of the guitar gods because of that. Music itself yes was just blues with Jimi style and hell it was good.

One of his "forgotten" records that almost none notice anywhere is South Saturn Delta. check that one out :).

Cheers!
Empirism
RA  
7 Feb 2009 12:01 | Quote
United States
what is often over look is the huge influence of jazz that Hendrix included in his playing. and don't under-rated Jimi in your thinking of him being over-rated in fact don't rate anybody just listen and learn and feel your not proving anything with these who the greatest and best ideas. your just proving how stupid we humans can really be.
Musical_Magic  
9 Feb 2009 19:07 | Quote
United States
what do you mean by a whole different feeling, and what are you playing at the moment? If you're playing right-handed and thinking of switching to left-handed, then you would be better off sticking as you are. If you have a left-handed guitar and are thinking of buying a right-handed guitar and restringing it, then I don't think it's that big a deal.

...I'm left handed, and SOOOO damn tired of having to pay more than someone whos right handed will pay, I said screw it on the idea that this thread is about...But somthing needs to be done, "for every right handed guitar made, a left handed must be made too" and the have to cost the SAME...But thats ,my opinion on what should happen...I know not everyone will agree, but just because theres more right handed people, doesnt mean that leftys should be screwed when buying a guitar
BodomBeachTerror  
9 Feb 2009 19:26 | Quote
Canada
maybe not to every right a left. but i do agree that it shouldnt be more to buy a left handed guitar
soy.el.che  
9 Feb 2009 19:35 | Quote
Mexico
use a right handed guitar, play it left handed and dont restring it, to my point of view, that will give you a radically different point of view on the fretboard, creative, automatic, advantage artisticly
blackholesun  
9 Feb 2009 20:02 | Quote
United Kingdom
I've made a poll about this, not to prove anyone right or wrong, but just to see what the general idea is.
Musical_Magic  
9 Feb 2009 20:32 | Quote
United States

maybe not to every right a left. but i do agree that it shouldnt be more to buy a left handed guitar

Well, if the every right a left thing doesnt happen...There will still be 51 choices while rightys have over 1000... And thats not fair, now is it?
1 2

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.