Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

"Blues" vs real blues

Technique
BodomBeachTerror  
27 Aug 2010 12:22 | Quote
Canada
Lessons: 2
Licks: 1
Know what burns me up inside? When people say players like Slash or Jimmy Paige are blues players. Granted, they are bluesy. But by no means are they REAL blues.

Discuss?
macandkanga  
27 Aug 2010 13:33 | Quote
United States
It's really a matter of ones own unique perspective and what you really want to get out of the discussion. I dont personally consider Slash or Page blues guitarists at all either. I do think they are versatile guitarists that often use the blues scale and play a lot of blues songs and very well I might add, but not "Real" blues guitarists.

I feel the same about Greenday being called a punk band. Really?
BodomBeachTerror  
27 Aug 2010 15:03 | Quote
Canada
most of the "real" (in what my opinion of real blues players are) blues players are black, because they invented the genre. But white people can play blues too, like SRV, or myself haha. but I would have to agree with mac. the most Real blues there is is guys like Robert Johnson, Son House, or Skip James. just the man, guitar, and the blues. thats what the blues is to me.
Duff  
27 Aug 2010 16:04 | Quote
Romania
Licks: 4
All the blues genres are great if you have the blues....
tinyskateboard  
27 Aug 2010 16:45 | Quote
United States
Just like there are lots of unclassifiable musical styles, there are lots of kinds of blues. It's a lot easier to think about this kind of stuff as if you were listening to a college radio station that plays a Crystal Method song after a Johhny Cash song after a Ramones tune. Is the Ramones really punk? Is Johnny Cash Americana or Folk?
Is Crystal Method worth listening to?

Those questions are moot. Did you like the song, did you learn anything? That is what I find important, "did I like the song?".

Jimmy Page seems more of a bluesman than many up-tempo Jump Blues musicians.

In this video you'll see some great music, but It's not Blues like Bessie Smith or Robert Johnson.

Is it still blues?

BodomBeachTerror  
27 Aug 2010 17:09 | Quote
Canada
I would say its still blues. Not the original delta blues style blues but more modern blues like Stevie Ray Vaughan. but again thats just me talking.
macandkanga  
27 Aug 2010 17:29 | Quote
United States
Yeah. The genre thing sometimes takes away from the artist. There are a lot of bands that are genre specific in every song they produce. I dont know if this is a good example but Pantera is a heavy metal band. 99% of their songs are heavy metal songs. But Zeppelin, Deep Purple, even Sabbath all have produced blues songs, folk, pop, or whatever songs of all kinds.

Like Tiny said "did you like it?" To take it a step further, "can you appreciate it?" I've said this before but I don't like Springsteen. I just dont get what a lot of people get but I do appreciate him as a musician and a writer.
les_paul  
27 Aug 2010 19:52 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 3
Licks: 2
Still one of my favorite videos

JazzMaverick  
27 Aug 2010 20:03 | Quote
United Kingdom
Lessons: 24
Licks: 37
@ M&K,

Greenday are modern punk, they'll never be the original punk - but they're the new generation of it.

@Btim,

He does have a point - most of the best blues musicians are indeed black. Not to mention Jazz, too!

What can I say, they're legends. They invented the damn genre, I wish they invented it from a less painful way though.

@ BBT

Even though they're not the original Blues, they're cross over genres - they'll never be the original because they're trying to be something new and vary their style.

I personally wouldn't call them Blues either but if people do, people do. Just ignore them if you have a different opinion - truth is most people won't bother changing their opinions once they've already set their mind to it.
EMB5490  
27 Aug 2010 20:06 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 1
Well i mean if were talking real blues like 30s blues...

But Great players incorparate blues tastefully in their playing, theyre not playing blues music, rather blues influenced music... And thats real blues to me, anyone who reconizes, plays, appriciates and listens to blues is a blues player, whether they play in a pshycadelic band or a metal band... Given theyre not a soley blues player but a blues player...In the sense they...Play blues :)
Ozzfan486  
27 Aug 2010 22:53 | Quote
United States
I'd say "real" blues is just a feeling. You get "blue", or down, and you play what you feel. Whether or not it appeals to anyone as what they commonly label blues or whatever else doesn't matter, because it's a product of the player's own feeling. I'd say guys like Page, Joe Perry, or Slash, have all felt the same kind of blue feeling as all the "real" blues players. They just express it differently.
Empirism  
28 Aug 2010 01:33 | Quote
Finland
Lessons: 4
Ive seen when old man (african I think) played and singed Blues with one wire set to two nails. Thats a Blues, what scales?, What colours?, no one can change the roots, they are always there.

Admiral  
28 Aug 2010 10:56 | Quote
Germany
Oh guys, relax.
For this topic you would first need a definiton of what blues really is? This is kind of the same topic as the people on youtube going on about what genre a certain band is in, and that a certain band isnt heavy anymore, the are emo now, etc. Music is an art, and art is all about a subjective perspective, and perception. If slash pulls off one of his solos and it sounds bluesy to someone, then it might be the "real" blues for him. As I said, for you the "real" blues might be something else than it is for me.
Ozzfan486  
28 Aug 2010 11:41 | Quote
United States
+1
JazzMaverick  
28 Aug 2010 18:08 | Quote
United Kingdom
CAT FIIIIIGHT! Shall I get a pool of muddy water for you two to fight in? ;)

A REALLY fat woman is hot.

Most of you would say she isn't, but I say she is; therefor she's hot.

Get it? :D

You two both missed what I said previously...

JazzMaverick says:
...truth is most people won't bother changing their opinions once they've already set their mind to it.

Chill, have a smoke, and write a song about it! ;)

You're both great people and brilliant musicians- so please settle down.

Admiral says:
Music is an art, and art is all about a subjective perspective, and perception.

Those are very wise words dude! Can I use this please? :D
EMB5490  
28 Aug 2010 19:12 | Quote
United States
Yeah what i find is that people if they dont know too much about it will be easily convinced just to go along with someone

Dude 1:"Dude shes so hot!"
Dude 2"yeah totally"
other random dude "no way man she has like ugly"
Dude 2:"oh yeah totally"

But its all opinionated man, thats the beauty and the flaw in music

YOu see, people r different for whatever reason, familys, geography, they didnt eat their corn flakes... And they will odviously have different opinions... I have friends who get stoned and listen to death metal... I think if i did that id feel like death or like watching hannah montana, or... WANTING TO LISTEN TO A JONAS BROTHERS SONG. Nah the last was extream... Anyway people have their different oppinions on everything, However some peoples opinions will be similar, thats why certain people like and do certain things... They are similar, not the same. And just because 1 guy says one thing sucks doesnt mean dippidly squat. Its your own opoinion...

Thats the reason i hate "Who/What is the best..." No such thing... In baseball you can equate a best... The yankees are the best, they won the world series... (although red sox fans will argue because they cant climb the green monster) its a fact, that year the yankees were the best :)

But everything musical and artistical and everything is opinionated.

Which is why i RARELY trash another genre. besides me going up to my sister and bashing in the tv when hannah montana is on i rarely bash other music, the only music i dont understand why people enjoy is death metal... but ive come to a point in my young life in realizing

1) Its your opinion, not a fact, Ex. Jonas brothers couldnt write a good song if they had sex with janis joplin. (fact). OMG OMG OMG David gilmour is the greatest guitar player ever and death metal sucks asss. (opinion... by a douche bag... but still an opinion) And theres no sense in telling someone theyre wrong in an opinion. I dont like death metal, i dont like punk pop rock that they make now, but that doesnt mean i say its terrible ** and is horrible, I respect it and move on

2) I think because downing people is in no way gonna get you anywhere man. I see a lot of people my age going up to me (knowing i play guitar) and being like "DUDE i heard you rip, play something!" (generally im like no i dont wanna) then usually after they say "DUDE i heard your SOOO much better then ____ (dont wanna say his name) he sucks ass, hes a ***ing emo faggot man" Honestly ive heard that, all that does is make a douche outta yourself you know. IF its honest critique i have no problem saying that in my opinion that wasnt too good, but wont do ** like that...

Not saying that anyone here does that idk why i even said that... I think i too jazzys advice too literal...

JazzMaverick says:
Chill, have a smoke, and write a song about it! ;)

Admiral  
28 Aug 2010 20:59 | Quote
Germany
JazzMaverick says:
Those are very wise words dude! Can I use this please? :D

I will send you the bill in a few days time. I do not accept cheques! hahaha.

Thank you for your kind words! You want to use the words? For what? :D

Anyway, please use them! But i do not take any repsonsibility if they wont give you your desired grade! haha
macandkanga  
28 Aug 2010 21:18 | Quote
United States
Ok. I'll chill and have a Nicorette. I qiuit smoking ten years ago. I'm settled.

Thanks Jazzy! And everybody else too. I get all riled up. I can't help myself sometimes.
BodomBeachTerror  
28 Aug 2010 21:21 | Quote
Canada
Since you quit, you can have one. haha.

Sorry. that had nothing to do with the topic at hand. Probably no-one knows what that was from.
BodomBeachTerror  
29 Aug 2010 00:49 | Quote
Canada
*facepalm*
Mici  
29 Aug 2010 03:17 | Quote
Kosovo
+1
Admiral  
29 Aug 2010 07:36 | Quote
Germany
A problem can't be solved on the same level on which it occured.
BodomBeachTerror  
29 Aug 2010 10:23 | Quote
Canada
Can a mod clean this up?
JazzMaverick  
29 Aug 2010 19:14 | Quote
United Kingdom
@ BBT,

It's sorted now. :)

@ You two good sirs!

Good God... You two need to seriously take a chill pill...

I'm going to delete every comment you two post on here if it's going to be that silly!

Now back to the awesome topic at hand...

Did you happen to ask them to ellaborate when they said that Slash and Page are blues players? I mean, they might have meant it in a bluesy way, but not REAL blues if you get me...? I could be wrong though...
btimm  
29 Aug 2010 20:33 | Quote
United States
Hey everyone. I wanted to take a second to apologize to the community here for not being able to let things go and ruining the great atmosphere of both this site and what this thread would have been if I had just left well enough alone. You have my word that if I have any issues again, I will take a different course of actions that will be much better for everyone involved. I am sorry.
BodomBeachTerror  
30 Aug 2010 00:14 | Quote
Canada
nah I dont really know anyone around here who says that specifically. I'm not sure anyone i know would know who those guys are haha. but just on like youtube or whatever.
coleman  
30 Aug 2010 02:38 | Quote
United States
slash a page don't even sound close to each other slash is butt rock to me GnR can suck on deez nuts. page on the other hand is more blues influenced but not a "blues player" if it was like that charlie parker and almost every other jazz muscian would be a "blues player".
gx1327  
30 Aug 2010 10:31 | Quote
United States
green day used to be a punk band... they used to be one of my favorite bands... dookie is still one of my all time favorite albums...
macandkanga  
30 Aug 2010 11:33 | Quote
United States
I would also like to appologize for my actions as well. I also want to appologize for any comments that may have offended anyone in this or any other thread. I have no excuses and I will just leave it at that. Also, if something heats me up again in the future I will also take a different course of action or maybe inaction in my case!

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.