Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

an experiment

Suggestions
nater2  
5 Nov 2009 17:05 | Quote
United States
so starting now, every day i'm going to use a metronome and play every scale shape/pattern i know and play it at one not per beat. starting today at 40 bpm. i just did it and i didn't know it was so hard playing them ultra slow. every day i will increase the bpm by one and hopefully in 250 days i will be able to play them as fast as i want. anyone else wanna do it with me? ha ha probably not. i have never heard of any one going this extreme but hey, it's gonna teach me patients.
BodomBeachTerror  
5 Nov 2009 19:04 | Quote
Canada
Lessons: 2
Licks: 1
ive tried to do this but ive never stuck with it
nater2  
5 Nov 2009 20:34 | Quote
United States
ha ha, hopefully i will
apollos  
5 Nov 2009 23:00 | Quote
United States
this might work...if i had the time i would do it
JustJeff  
6 Nov 2009 00:30 | Quote
United States
So, a great jazz guitarist performed at my school, and I just had to ask him:

"I'm a beginning guitarist, what do you recommend to pass the 'good' level and become 'great'?

This is what he told me:

"Do you really wanna know? Cause I can tell you, but I know that 90% of the people that know this don't do it. If you want to be great, every day sit down with a song that you love, or something that has influenced you. Learn the riff from that song. understand what he is doing and memorize it. Do this every day for the next 2 years. If you can learn a new riff of a song you love every day for the next 2 years, you will be a great guitarist, and you can come to one of my shows and I will let you play with me and you will blow me out of the water."

For those curious, his name is Cyrus Pace.
vincejonesiii  
6 Nov 2009 07:33 | Quote
United States
im gonnna learn one dethklok song a day then move on to muse then to some nobuo uematsu(FF7&8)
Domigan_Lefty  
6 Nov 2009 16:48 | Quote
United States
250 days?

I just look up some Tabs for songs i like and play with the music my psp.
And occasionally steal parts for my own songs.

Anyway, Rammstein pretty much taught me guitar, and how to stay in beat. I used a Metronome once. I was too fast for it.
guitarmastergod  
6 Nov 2009 19:44 | Quote
Canada
I'll go with you! also did you know rammstein made a new album?
case211  
6 Nov 2009 21:12 | Quote
United States
Licks: 6
i saw it, my little brother loves Rammstein, and he showed me the album cover and wow... that was all I could say was "wow..."
They're awesome though.

@domigan

if your playing too fast for the metronome that's kind of what its supposed to help with, it's there to help you stay/learn to stay in time... and you may have wanted to speed it up if you were too fast for it, like I found out that most of my riffs naturally end up being about 150 BPM, so it's weird when I play something in 120 BPM that's original.
RA  
7 Nov 2009 19:14 | Quote
United States
@nater-- ain't worth it best that will happen is you will sound like a robot, practice things slower then speed up just not like robot and your fingers don't work like that.

Domigan_Lefty says:
I used a Metronome once. I was too fast for it.

that means drum roll please............... your out of time/ maybe can't keep time. you missed the point of the whole thing
carlsnow  
8 Nov 2009 10:11 | Quote
United States
RA says:
@nater-- ain't worth it best that will happen is you will sound like a robot, practice things slower then speed up just not like robot and your fingers don't work like that.

@RAabsolute 100% disagreement.

@nater - slow down to move fast

RAWK!
Cs
RA  
8 Nov 2009 23:42 | Quote
United States
maybe your misunderstanding(i write bad i know) maybe not but, my point isn't just play as fast as you can. that's silly always start out slow, understand all that going on, then built up. My issue was with the moving up small increments day by day that's silly, and moving up like that at day 250 you won't be able to play at that(if you can it's not because you move up one by one) your body doesn't work like that.
JazzMaverick  
9 Nov 2009 04:11 | Quote
United Kingdom
Lessons: 24
Licks: 37
@ Vince, Nubuo Uematsu composed every Final Fantasy Soundtrack, not just 7 and 8.

@ Carl, RA was saying the same thing you were - slow down to move fast.

I'll join you guys on this too :) Always fun to go back and slow down. I'm starting at 40bpm today though, since I only just read this topic.

@ Jeff, I TOTALLY AGREE! So many people know what to do, but they just don't bother doing it. I can honestly say that I was one of them, and for what reason? Doesn't matter - fact is; it didn't get me anywhere! So I'm serious all the time now. And have you kept it up? It'd be cool if you have, perhaps you could play with him on stage one day - that'd be a fun thought :D
vincejonesiii  
10 Nov 2009 09:38 | Quote
United States
jazz i know i was just clarifying which one i liked :D
JustJeff  
10 Nov 2009 10:01 | Quote
United States
@jazz

I haven't even started yet!! Engineering is too much to allow me to sit around all day playing music. The most I get nowadays is an hour, tops.

I have to wait until I graduate to be able to hold up something like that. It's a bit disappointing.
carlsnow  
10 Nov 2009 11:21 | Quote
United States
RA says:
maybe your misunderstanding(i write bad i know) maybe not but, my point isn't just play as fast as you can. that's silly always start out slow, understand all that going on, then built up. My issue was with the moving up small increments day by day that's silly, and moving up like that at day 250 you won't be able to play at that(if you can it's not because you move up one by one) your body doesn't work like that.

JazzMaverick says:

@ Carl, RA was saying the same thing you were - slow down to move fast.

ahhh
Ohhhhh
I seeee

I DID think it rather odd that i was in disagreement w/ the cat I agree with the MOST on here, Jazzy!
so thanks for making me look ^UP^ again!

@-RA
Yup, Yup and uh, Yup!
My personal approach (for students under 5 years experience, usually)is setting at 40 for a week, hitting 60 (after warm-up @ 40),
then 90.. then stopping @ 120 for awhile.. and instead of "upping the Gnome" having them remove themselves from "hitting every click" and moving to 8th notes (rather than the forced quarter-notes) to the beat(120Bpm) Then 1/4 and 8th-note triplets, 16th-notes, 16th note triplets and so forth and so on. I use a Gnome with 3/4, 6/8 etc time signatures that i encourage them to purchase.
(This has worked very well and was implemented the day i decided to begin teaching, some 10 or 11 years or so ago)

and it never ceases to amaze me (i get referrals, mainly) why so many students , new to me, cannot play the 'fast' licks they wanna impress me w/ during wk one at a slower tempo. its freaky.

Thank God for James Brown!

RAWK!
Cs

vincejonesiii  
10 Nov 2009 12:22 | Quote
United States
so... if i want to shred my head of and light fingers on fire... gotta do it SLLOOOOOW first ... listen to "duncan hills coffee jingle" by dethklok its really cool :D the solo is cool and i play that at slower speeds to get acuracy
JazzMaverick  
11 Nov 2009 07:50 | Quote
United Kingdom
Lessons: 24
Licks: 37
Jeff, that's such a shame man! It'll be tough until you graduate 'cause as each year approaches, more work is loaded on you. Especially in an engineering course! Best of luck to you man!

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.