Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

Who can reccomend me some killer blues artists?

Music and Bands
Heather  
14 Jul 2009 14:50 | Quote
United Kingdom
Licks: 2
Okay so I've really just started getting into this genre lately. After I made what was possibly the best mistake of my life. When I accidently bought a blues album ('Two men with the blues' by Willie Nelson and Wynton Marsalis), and I loved it! Now I want some other names, I want to look at more songs in blues. I mean, if I'm starting to consider it's good enough to be compared with country then knowing me I must really like it! More artists and songs to reccoemend me please?
league  
14 Jul 2009 15:33 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 2
Muddy Waters, Robert Johnson, Ma Rainey, Bessie Smith, T-Bone Walker, John Lee Hooker, Howling Wolf, BB.King

Now these are some hardcore blues artists which may differ from Willie Nelson and Wynton Marsalis,whom are known for Country and Jazz respectively.

Plus many Jazz musicians were considered Blues musicians.

Listen to this

This is more Rock N Roll

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqgcM_CmhdA

Listen to this one

This one is a favorite

hahahha this last one has some random pictures but just listen.

Some Blues Solos were unreal made you believe they did sell their soul to the Devil and no matter how much others try

nobody beats the early Black Man's Blues because it came from the heart.
Empirism  
14 Jul 2009 16:00 | Quote
Finland
Lessons: 4
Stevie Ray Vaughan (Mix of Texas and Chigago Blues)
T-Bone Walker
Muddy Waters
Blind Lemon Jefferson
Elmore James (Slide god)
Freddie King
Charlie Patton
Howlin' Wolf
Sonny Boy Williamson I
Lightnin' Hopkins
Charles Brown
Albert King
Albert Collins (Cool)
Hound Dog Taylor
Buddy Guy (well worth to check)
Johnny Winter
Big Joe Williams
Etta James
Otis Rush
John Mayall (Incredible)
Julia Lee
Eric Clapton
Taj Mahal
Luther Allison
Johnny Ace
James Cotton

Heres couple...
Empirism

PS. its never too late to turn to blues ;)
EMB5490  
14 Jul 2009 16:03 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 1
Licks: 1
if you like southern blues then maybe allen collins or steve gaines.
EMB5490  
14 Jul 2009 16:03 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 1
and of course duane allman and the new slide legend derek trucks
Empirism  
14 Jul 2009 16:11 | Quote
Finland
Oh, forgot mention Eric Sardinas (Maybe most cool blues guitar player on earth. Also Shemekia Copeland and her Father, cant remember first name just now. Bobba Chubby is cool new name too to check out.

Also Joe Bonamassa!! I mean he is young and just Incredible, if I remember right he was 12-14 year old, when he played warm up to B.B King. Well worth to check out.

And I seen that no1 mentioned Jimi Hendrix lol...
well... Doh...I got overenthusiastic. I stop now lol...

Cheers.
future_god_of_the_axe  
14 Jul 2009 16:20 | Quote
United States
haha! i was just about to say Eric Sardinas! i can go forever listing all my favorite blues musicians, but you should start with the basics like Stevie Ray Vaughan, Eric Sardinas, Muddy waters, and BB King. and Jimi Hendrix is known to play some really good blues songs other than red house. and did you know Muddy waters was the first person to electrify his guitar, he put little microphones under his strings. and les paul built the first solid-body electric guitar. just wanted to throw that out there. oh and he is mainly jazzy, but les paul can play a mean blues too.
Empirism  
14 Jul 2009 16:44 | Quote
Finland
Lol yeah, there are so many greats, btw I didnt knew that Muddy Waters thing. Thanks.

@Heather.
When you have 1 hour spare time, Watch this video and its highly recommended to any other who love blues. Excellent interview of an Unbelieavable blues musician Mighty Mo Rodgers.

telecrater  
14 Jul 2009 23:59 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 8
Empirism says:
Stevie Ray Vaughan (Mix of Texas and Chigago Blues)
T-Bone Walker
Muddy Waters
Blind Lemon Jefferson
Elmore James (Slide god)
Freddie King
Charlie Patton
Howlin' Wolf
Sonny Boy Williamson I
Lightnin' Hopkins
Charles Brown
Albert King
Albert Collins (Cool)
Hound Dog Taylor
Buddy Guy (well worth to check)
Johnny Winter
Big Joe Williams
Etta James
Otis Rush
John Mayall (Incredible)
Julia Lee
Eric Clapton
Taj Mahal
Luther Allison
Johnny Ace
James Cotton

Heres couple...
Empirism

PS. its never too late to turn to blues ;)

Damn that is quite the list.

Albert collis is one of my fav's and really got me into the blues. nothing like the master of the telecaster. You can't go wrong with the three king's...albert, freddie, and BB. Muddy waters is great also hit up some of his blue sky recording with johnny winter..some killer guitar there. Eric Clapton did a record called "From the Cradle" some almost perfect blues tunes and and good itnro into some other blues styles.
carlsnow  
15 Jul 2009 07:58 | Quote
United States
w/out looking up (why that'd be a'cheatin!)

-all but one or two = acoustic delta blues-(my "habit", lol)-

Lightnin' Hopkins
Mississippi Fred MacDowell
Son House
Charlie Patton
Blind Willie Johnson
(best isnt blues tune evah...'Dark Was The Night , Cold Was The Ground. played to his wifes humming, with a knife fer a slide .. 1932 i think (Alan Lomax stuff)
Mississippi John Hurt
Freddie King
Albert King
not BB
Hector Qirko
Jelly Roll Morton
Sam Chatman
Sonny Terry
Sonny Terry w/ (Ac) Buddy Guy
Buddy Guy
Brownie McGee
Bukka White

league  
15 Jul 2009 08:04 | Quote
United States
Man I forgot Jelly Roll Morton

I also love Early New Orleans Jazz or "Real Jazz" as I like to call it.

Damn I also forgot SRV.

But the Robert Johnson type make me want to play the blues. Straight from the heart.
Guitarslinger124  
15 Jul 2009 08:55 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 12
Licks: 42
I can't believe ya'll forgot Keb' Mo! He is definitely my favorite blues player.
DarkRiff  
15 Jul 2009 10:19 | Quote
United States
There was only a couple of blues guys I listen to and that is
B.B. King (Saw him live)
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Carlos Santana (He's Latin Blues)
AlexB  
15 Jul 2009 14:15 | Quote
Mexico
Most of the big names have already been mentioned!!
Empirism  
15 Jul 2009 16:52 | Quote
Finland
Aaah, soz GS m8... damn, Keb Mo is fantastic..

Aye Alex, but not all...so..

Bo Diddley. Above video is highly recommended to watch. I am proud and fortunate that I had change to see him live. Even when he was over 70 years he and his band rocked many of these days stars to swamp. He died only couple years after that.

He was recording on same company at same time with Chuck Berry and been Biggest influence for a bands and artists like Yardbirds, Beatles, Rollingstones. I insist that Diddley is one of the biggest reason how Rock and Rock'n' Roll sounds or even exist. Enjoy.

Big Bill Broonzy, copyrighted over 300 compositions including many traditional songs. One of the biggest influences on Chigago Blues.

Goddamit... I found myself again doin this. So many still left who deserved to mentioned like Jeff Beck, Peetie Wheatstraw, Papa Charlie Jackson, Jim Jackson, Lead Belly oh! and ofcourse im so glad that you mentioned him Carl.

Mississippi John Hurt. Needless to say nothing more.

Cheers
Empirism.
AlexB  
16 Jul 2009 00:35 | Quote
Mexico
Maybe Gary Moore? Jimmy Vaughan?
Heather  
18 Jul 2009 07:34 | Quote
United Kingdom
Sorry I've took a while! Computer's been...well exploding on me at random really...I'm starting to wonder whether nows the time I should get rid of it and get a new one. I don't trust the way this one often goes smokey when I try to use it. Ah well.

Thanks for the names! And wow, Emp I wasn't gone looking through your huge list of musicians for all that time! :P Unfortuneately, a family member seems too have nicked my computer speakers :( but I'll have a listen to some of these people you've all mentioned and let you know what I think! Should keep me busy I think.
carlsnow  
18 Jul 2009 09:10 | Quote
United States
Empirism says:
Mississippi John Hurt. Needless to say nothing more.

Amen !
but the trinity must include 'Lighnin' Hopkins & Fred MacDowell, lol, to be complete

Dug that list Bro ... good'un!

Cs
BodomBeachTerror  
18 Jul 2009 13:36 | Quote
Canada
deefa  
22 Jul 2009 15:02 | Quote
United Kingdom
Well I'm shocked and stunned! No one's mentioned Fleetwood Mac (I'm talking very early F.M. when Peter Green was the chief guitarist, singer, songwriter).
I've just recently bought a compilation album of F.M from that era. It cost only £5.99 from Morrisons and it's got everything you could ask of Brits playing American blues.
Good investment Heather!
Oh! And have a listen to the 'Free' Tons of Sobs album from 1968 if you get the chance. Well bluesy before their 'Alright now' days.
deefa  
22 Jul 2009 15:11 | Quote
United Kingdom
Just found it. Classic F.Mac blues.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxeQKQQ6k4s

Enjoy!
RA  
23 Jul 2009 22:04 | Quote
United States
it saddens me that no one motioned "skip James" come on carl you got Booker and hurt yet no skip

boom boom is so far form rocking roll is not funny hooker had no set rhythm granted he had to tone it down for that.

also heather look more into Taxes blues then delta and east cost like
Blind Lemon Jefferson and other early stuff because the newer stuff isn't the same but still call Texes blues. but if you want more country(hillbilly) stuff look around just stay clear out of the delta for the most part. ain't no Celtic folk down there but Charles Patton (hopefully you get the joke)

@edit i could make a huge list but i feel it better for you to do the exploring and i hope you do
telecrater  
24 Jul 2009 00:17 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 8
Good call on skip james

If your new getting into the blues check out the modern stuff. If you've been into the blues for a while hit the old stuff.

I love JLH's tone that grainy airy sad tone. every one should just turn the tone controlls off once an a while and just play. Back when he started playing his amp may not have even had tone controls just volume.

RA  
24 Jul 2009 09:49 | Quote
United States
i knew i shouldn't of said tone on a guitar forum. want i meant was he had to cool down his playing ever notice why he always plays by himself(his is not that old his contemporaries are muddy and hollowing wolf, the older guys where told to record that way but they all play in bands) it because his music is rhythmically free it's not in 4/4 7/8 or anything he makes it how he wants is so no one can play with him that why they always recorded his foot hitting a block of wood. verses rock and roll which is highly rhythmically stricken

and look up JB Lenoir(solo) you like him tele

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.