Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

Shows

General Chat
1 2
Ozzfan486  
7 Mar 2009 21:35 | Quote
United States
Licks: 1
Post some stories of gigs you've done or been to. Personally I have an Alan Jackson show under my belt [I was 4 gimme a break]. And thats about it. Well, post 'em!
BodomBeachTerror  
7 Mar 2009 22:02 | Quote
Canada
Lessons: 2
i went to Alice Cooper. front row. yelling my lungs out. person next to me got spat upon by Alice himself... greatest thing ive ever seen
patleh  
7 Mar 2009 22:19 | Quote
United States
i've never gone to a big show. but i've gone to tons of local small bands' gigs.
Ozzfan486  
7 Mar 2009 22:25 | Quote
United States
Any good stories?
EMB5490  
7 Mar 2009 22:40 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 1
lol heres a funny one. i get ther, my band is set up, we go on in 5. were on stage, im just plugging in my pedals and amps. i play a chord nothing happens. none of my pedals work, im like wtf. 5 mins later...after much stress and nevousness...i realized i put the "in" in the "out" and vise versa lol.
patleh  
8 Mar 2009 00:48 | Quote
United States
Emb that happened to me one one too. I was like really getting nervous because at the places I play at if you don't start on time
Another band will fill your spot.
madman3123  
8 Mar 2009 04:19 | Quote
United Kingdom
I saw alice cooper 2 years ago and slipknot in december

lost my voice and a bit of my hearing in slipknot my parents got me n my mate seat tickets but we had our own 2 man mosh pit going =P
Guitarslinger124  
8 Mar 2009 06:53 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 12
Licks: 42
i played my first gig in germany last sunday at the irish pub in meinz. the whole thing was improv with a drummer and bass player that id never played with before so i was kinda nervous but the crowd seemed to enjoy it :) plus i got some free drinks out of it which is always a good thing.
jcb3000  
8 Mar 2009 08:03 | Quote
United Kingdom
Last year saw Iron Maiden at twickenham stadium in london. caught adrian smiths pick! also at the start of Iron maiden they came onto to aces high and the mosh was just too great.

another gig, Pendulum, a few months back left me near deaf for 3 days as i was at the rail by the PA. ouch. nevertheless amazing.
blackholesun  
8 Mar 2009 09:31 | Quote
United Kingdom
Dude, you saw Metallica last week as well!!

My favorite gig was the Red Hot Chili Peppers in 2006. I was meant to see Incubus back in 2007 but it was postponed because the guitarist had carpel tunnel syndrome, and I couldn't make the new date. I saw Reel Big Fish last week for the third time in two years, I was right at the front, got a bit crushed on the barrier but it was all good fun. As I was saying to JCB the other day, hardly any big bands come to South-West England.
jcb3000  
8 Mar 2009 09:42 | Quote
United Kingdom
yeah i do live in an ideal location for gigs. london to the north, brighton to the south. both a quick train journey away so i get to go to big gigs quite often. i do agree they should stretch more towards bristol and southampton.
Ozzfan486  
8 Mar 2009 11:49 | Quote
United States
blackholesun says:
guitarist had carpel tunnel syndrome

I thought the groupies were supposed to fix things like that? lol. I joke.
BodomBeachTerror  
8 Mar 2009 13:32 | Quote
Canada
i really wanna see Iron Maiden before theyre done
jcb3000  
8 Mar 2009 13:35 | Quote
United Kingdom
they said at the gig that their doing another album so i guess youll have another chance to. unlike other bands theyre like a fine wine. they get better with age.
patleh  
8 Mar 2009 13:45 | Quote
United States
i'm dying to see muse in philly because they're live shows are amazing.
BodomBeachTerror  
8 Mar 2009 13:51 | Quote
Canada
sweet. personally i dont like theyre new music too much. but theyre legendary so i gotta see em
JazzMaverick  
8 Mar 2009 14:15 | Quote
United Kingdom
Lessons: 24
Licks: 37
Gigs I've been to (that I can remember):
Stomp
Jimmy Carr
The Star Wars Convention!! (Oh yes)
Lego Land! (I know it's not a gig but I had to tell you guys)
Amon Amarth
Tyr
Wintersun
Hello Goodbye
Less Than Jake
Symphony X
Dream Theatre
Avenue Q (lol)
Cinderella Musical (oh yeah)
Jimmy Eat World
Jazz Convention
Sirish Kumar with Chanan Hanspal
Billy Ocean
Alkaline Trio
Philharmonic Orchestra

Gigs I've done:
Loads when I was in college, once a week for two years.
A fair few pubs and clubs
One Festival

So a lot, but details will not be given on where. :D
Empirism  
8 Mar 2009 14:57 | Quote
Finland
Lessons: 4
Well, maybe I post some here too, I dont know if there any cool stories or anything... they were almost all big experiences :)
some of them from festivals where been many artist, I put years if I remember xD...

Ive been in gigs...

Iron Maiden
Wasp
Hanoi Rocks
Buddy guy
Carlos Santana
Joe Bonamassa
Eric Sardinas
Metallica
Bo Didley
AC/DC
Nightwish
Bruce Springsteen
Jamiroquai
B.B King
Steely Dan
Stevie Ray Vaughan (in year 1985, I still have shudder when thinking that one...)
Bob Dylan (1996)
John Lee Hooker (1991)
Lynnyrd Skynnyrd (1996 or was it 95...)
Porcupine tree

oh damn... and tons of others and minor bands...

Crunch  
8 Mar 2009 15:39 | Quote
United States
I saw the Chili Peppers in November of 2006 in St. Paul. That was pretty much awesome, and it also introduced me to The Mars Volta. Just this Friday I was conned into going to a Third Day concert. I'm not a fan of christian rock (or really anything to do with religion), but they are some good musicians and pretty cool guys. I was quite surprised when they actually accepted my request for "FREEBIRD!!! YEAH JESUS!!!" It was only first verse or so, but still cool.

Like everyone else I've been to various small local band shows. Two years ago a band from Fargo was playing a 4th of July show here and during one of their early breaks a buddy and started talking to them after which they invited us to play with them, it was pretty damn cool.
BodomBeachTerror  
8 Mar 2009 21:28 | Quote
Canada
you got to see wintersun jazz? no fair! i doubt theyll ever come to alberta lol
macandkanga  
9 Mar 2009 13:26 | Quote
United States
I've been to a lot. My first ever was Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow. Pat Travers oppened for them.

Here's a list of all of the bands I saw in concert:
Judas Priest
Ozzy
Black Sabbath
Dio
Motorhead
Rush
Heart
Jon Cougar Mellencamp
Aerosmith
Sammy Hagar
Slayer
Scorpions
Yesterday and Today (Y&T)
Jean Luc Ponty
Al DiMeola
Return To Forever
Mahavishnu Orchestra
Al DiMeola, John McLaughlin, Paco Delucia
Al DiMeola, John McLaughlin, Steve Morse
Al DiMeola, John McLaughlin, Paco Delucia
Stanley Clarke, Al DiMeola, Jean Luc Ponty
Allan Holdsworth
Steve Morse
Frank Gambale
Tribal Tech (Scott Henderson)
Steve Lukather
Chic Corea
BB King
Stevie Wonder
I also saw Randy Rhoads at a backyard party in Cerritos.

I've played at:
The Anti Club in Hollywood
Madam Wongs West in Santa Monica
A blues club in New Orleans (I was too drunk to play Purple Haze!)
Tons of backyard and garage parties

The coolest thing that ever happen was when we took a break at a huge party at the Spy Glass estates in Whittier. I said I wanted a beer and some guy said "the guitar player wants a beer!" About 10 people came up with beers and handed them to me. I felt like a rock star!

Empirism  
9 Mar 2009 13:50 | Quote
Finland
Return to forever!!!!... lucky one :P
JazzMaverick  
9 Mar 2009 14:42 | Quote
United Kingdom
BBT, Yeah, they were great live, I got punched in the face for that gig, then elbowed in the same spot moments later. That's a metal mosh pit for you.

M&K, SO JEALOUS! Maaaaan I would love to see Al De Meola, John McLaughlin and Paco De Lucia together live, that'd be such an experience.

It's pretty funny but for us it seems to go from metal, down to a variety of Jazz.
macandkanga  
9 Mar 2009 14:55 | Quote
United States
Emp, I saw RTF back in August. It was an incredible show!

Jazz, to see these guys live was amazing!

Your right about the metal to jazz thing. I think it has to do with our progression of taste and appreciation. I still love metal but as a student of the guitar, jazz and fusion is just so awesome, challenging, and interesting. Watching them play is literally like watching a magic show. I would think how do they do that?
jcb3000  
9 Mar 2009 14:59 | Quote
United Kingdom
we naming all of them?
i feel quite one sided, i would love to branch out and see some real live jazz or blues someday, but so far its all metal and rock. it goes as follows:
Foo fighters
The offspring
Sum 41
Avenged sevenfold
Machine head
Iron maiden
Pendulum
Metallica
Megadeth

and other smaller bands in and around the south east. i think one of my fondest memories of a small gig was when i was helping my friends band on my 14th birthday at a gig supporting two bands, The Envy Corps and Seargent. they were both great people and awe inspiring live. anyway when word got to them it was my birthday they gave me an entire crate of 24 fosters and a bottle of wine. was pretty damn cool!

i think my final big band to see in my life has to be muse.

Empirism  
9 Mar 2009 15:03 | Quote
Finland
Aye, for me first was blues, followed by rock, metal, funk, and various types of jazz... I dont really like traditional jazz, but im big fan of acid and smooth jazz as well as groovy stuff... But blues and rock never leave me xD
Phip  
9 Mar 2009 15:07 | Quote
United States
Led Zeppelin
B.B. King
Southside Johnny
Pat Benatar
Hall & Oats
Beach Boys
D*ck Dale
Chubby Checker (haha)
Chatted on the phone with Mick Jones (the clash) he called me

I sing in the shower (fully clothed) does that count?
macandkanga  
9 Mar 2009 15:34 | Quote
United States
Phip! I never got the chance to see Zeppelin. I bet it was an awesome experience you'll never forget huh?

Why did Mick Jones call ya?

I put my clothes in the shower then sing outside naked. The neighbors are'nt to happy about it.
stratoman_33  
9 Mar 2009 15:40 | Quote
United States

Styx
The Donnas
Avenged Sevenfold
Johnny Winter
Buddy Guy(got his autograph)
Ike Turner
Blues Traveler
Kenny Wayne Shepherd
Doug Kershaw
Hell Yeah
Seether
Hurt
Apocolyptica
Gogol Bordello
Randy Hansen
I'm going to see Candlebox in a few weeks
Seen more, but I can't remember all of them

My old band opened for 36 Crazy Fists a few years ago. A 60 year old drunk woman with no teeth flashed me for one of our CD's. I haven't slept since
Phip  
9 Mar 2009 15:51 | Quote
United States
macandkanga says:
I put my clothes in the shower then sing outside naked. The neighbors are'nt to happy about it.

Haha, let me see if I can stop laughing long enough to answer your other questions. God, that was funny!

funny story about Mick Jones. I had a roommate who was in possession of certain, shall we say, "party favors". Evidently Mick got the number and called looking for some and my roomate wasn't home. I swear he must have called every fifteen minutes for about two hours before I finally told him to f**k off. (roommate was really pissed about that).

yeah, zeppelin was outstanding. never forget that night. '72 I think

Phip
Ozzfan486  
9 Mar 2009 19:58 | Quote
United States
@ Mac - When did you see Ozzy?
6StringEvil  
10 Mar 2009 08:19 | Quote
India
I've been to Iron Maiden gigs thrice in three years, Megadeth, Machinehead, Sepultura, Deep Purple, Aerosmith and Joe Satriani.
The most memorable gig was when we jumped over a barricade erected to seperate the sections, over the heads of the security. We moshed with police carrying batons. That was hilarious and crazy.
Moral of the story: Never mess with me when I'm drunk...lol.
matthewmoran  
10 Mar 2009 10:47 | Quote
United States
Some concerts/shows I've attended...

Front row - AC/DC - Back in Black.
Front row - Black Sabbath - Black and Blue
Rush - few times. Hated their outdoor show, loved the indoor show ???
ZZ-TOP - ended up with one of Billy Gibbon's guitar picks - which I proceeded to use and lose..
14th row - Prince - wasn't a fan before show but was after, great guitar player.
Billy Squier - great show
Saw the Scorpions when Bon Jovi opened for them. Runaway was starting to climb charts.
Motley Crue at Gazarri's before they "made it"
Fleetwood Mac - Irvine Meadows - 5th row - one of the greatest shows I've even been to. Fleetwood Mac in Vegas - 1000 seat theatre - great show too.
Stevie Nicks a few times.
Bob Dylan, Stevie Nicks, and Tom Petty in a single show.
Kiss, no makeup - amazing showmen

Judas Priest - about 4 songs into show something flies out of stands, hits my friend Jon in the back of the head. He turns around - hits the guy behind him - thinking he did it. Jon is about 5'7", 130 lbs and the guy he hits is probably 6' - but scared to death cuz Jon was so pissed. We had to leave because he had to get stitches.

Night Ranger - club in LA.

Lindsay Buckingham - couple years ago in Mesa, AZ. Great guitarist.

Collin Raye - amazing showman and voice.

Shawn Mullins (Lullaby) one of my favorite songwriters at a 200 seat outdoor amphitheater called "The Camp" where I live.

Roadied for a band in 1981-82 - brother in law of my best friend. Met Steve Lukather and Dave Page of Toto - saw Frank Zappa in the audience at one of their shows. It was fun being 16 but gettng into clubs because we were hauling equipment.

Story from my own playing...

As far as playing - done quite a few but one of the "weirdest" times was last year, opening for another act - and this guy who I know through another lady - friend of my ex- is drunk. Making a bunch of noise. He gets asked to leave and starts yelling right as I end my final song.

and he's referring to me, screaming, "I know him! He's my friend! He's played guitar at my house!"

And I'm thinking, "great..with fans like this, who needs..." - it was actually pretty funny if not a little embarrassing.

I actually have no interest in attending stadium shows anymore. Love small venues - bands that don't play too loud and instead go for great sound!!! Acoustic instrumentation - so much more tone in my opinion.
macandkanga  
10 Mar 2009 11:04 | Quote
United States
@Ozzfan,

I saw Ozzy in 1982 at Irvine Meadows. It's now called the Verizon Center. Randy died earlier that year so I did'nt get the chance to see him play then.
Ozzfan486  
10 Mar 2009 15:51 | Quote
United States
Cool. Who'd you see? Jake E. Lee or Zakk?
macandkanga  
10 Mar 2009 16:49 | Quote
United States
I think it was Brad Gillis? I'll look it up on the net.

Yep. I just looked and it was Brad Gillis. I don't remember much except that Brad was excellent. Ozzy was kind of a mess but still good. Rudy Sarzo was amazing. And it was LOUD!
Ozzfan486  
10 Mar 2009 19:07 | Quote
United States
Haha. I never heard of Brad Gillis. He do anything else?
league  
10 Mar 2009 23:21 | Quote
United States
I dont have many

Santana
Megadeth
Children Of Bodom
In Flames
Coheed and Cambria
Slipknot
Trivium
Job For a Cowboy
Backstreet Boys (Good Singers)

The few pits that I've been in where in small shows with small time bands.
If I'm gonna see Megadeth I wanna see them not the pit.

The worst injury was an elbow to the bridge of my nose I was bleeeding all over the place.
6StringEvil  
11 Mar 2009 07:20 | Quote
India
Well last month I had been to the Iron Maiden gig (again!). I did bungee jumping there. They had this huge crane there, from top of which you could jump out. It was fun. but it sure didnt beat fighting with the cops.

league says:
Backstreet Boys (Good Singers)

WTF?!! They give me the creeps with their mushy goodie-goodie songs.
JazzMaverick  
11 Mar 2009 13:27 | Quote
United Kingdom
Either way, melodically, they are good. I like them.

I forgot, I also went to see Little Ritchie. (there's more to come once my memory returns! damn old age!)
1 2

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.