Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

Differences

General Chat
V3N0M3333  
31 Jul 2011 16:03 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 1
Licks: 15
There are plenty of guitarists in the world today from all different styles of music.

to me there are two types of guitarist:

the first kind is a person that has a highly unique style of playing. when you hear them you say "thats HIM/HER!", whoever it might be.

then there are others who are really good players that mimick the style of a combination of many great players. when you here them play, you can tell who they listen to and who influences their playing

EVERYone is influenced/inspired by something, even the person/people who "tamed" music.

theres a good and bad about both of these though.

when you are unique and bring something new to the table, people are unsure about it and naturally, they shun it. most people find something they like and prefer to stay within their "comfort zone". but of course, like everything else, they eventually accept it and you would even have followers trying to copy and develop your style.

when you show your influences in your playing, people will automatically like you and recognize you, but at the same time, they most likely wont want to hear an entire era again. or, if youre influenced by a person of your time, they will compare you. Its ok to reuse those "public domain" licks as much as you need, but at least do it in your own way. this is mainly seen in blues guitarist IMO

So now i ask....how are you or how do you want to be recognized?

i know i want to be known as the first kind that i mentoned...thats why i have been trying to literally create a new style of music. its a very difficult task though. for all i know its already a genre of music....simply put, its a combination of jazz, neo, blues, and i guess a litte metal(????). whats weird is that those styles are rooted into other styles

case211  
31 Jul 2011 17:19 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 2
Licks: 6
I think you miss the point that music is music-we as a society have a knack for categorizing and sub-categorizing things, including music. There's different genres, but the main thing is that it all is music.
I don't care to try to be groundbreaking, I want to merely play loud guitar and have fun doing it--and if people enjoy it, then that's an added cherry on top :)
Empirism  
31 Jul 2011 18:10 | Quote
Finland
Lessons: 4
V3N0M3333 says:
thats why i have been trying to literally create a new style of music. its a very difficult task though. for all i know its already a genre of music....simply put, its a combination of jazz, neo, blues, and i guess a litte metal(????). !

Well, m8... mixing jazz, neo and blues with a metal is done thousand times so nothing new, if you want mix there few other categories and subcategories... Im sorry, but its very possible, that its done already... man, theres a song of silence which have 3 minutes or whatever pure silence so... think about it. though i admit that setting goal to there is admirable.

like I am currently making a mixdown of trance, psy-trance with metal and rock elementals based on that where normally leads are done with synthetizers I play it with quitar and morph sounds to sound like synthezisers so it give a weird touch to it...and I had many ideas and plans to have a orchestral, choirs (real choirs where are at least around ten singers) adding soundscenes (imaginary) from northern cultures like vikings and and so on, but even it MAY sound something wicked or new... its not. definately not. So I pretty much agree with Case, its good not to try anything groundbreaking, just enjoy playing and composing and audience is that what makes it succeed or not.

Emp
V3N0M3333  
31 Jul 2011 20:36 | Quote
United States
HAHAHAHA.......i was a little under the influence when i made this i actually dont even remember typing all of those words. i mean i knew i wanted to type this i just dont remember actually doing it

none of it makes since XD....at last not how i wanted it to...so ill clarify

sorry about that you two

but since im "sane" now, @Emp im glad you think its admirable that i want to create my own style so thanks for that

@case as much as it may seem that way, i dont mean how do you want a crowd to see you...i by no means play guitar to please ANYONE but myself...the crowd was just a scenario thing. doesnt mean i dont want to be well known though :)

what i meant was how do you develop your playing?....do you take what you hear from the music that you like and make it your own?, or do you start completely from scratch and create your own licks, scales or whatever

for example......there are blues licks, and then there are jimmy hendrix licks. you get me?

when i said "combination" of genres, i meant just the fundamentals of those genres, if that makes any since....

im honestly not too good at explaining myself...i would have to play to show you....V3 is in its early stages of development so i cant actually show you licks and stuff like that lol
JazzMaverick  
31 Jul 2011 20:54 | Quote
United Kingdom
Lessons: 24
Licks: 37
You're such a crazy dude :)

But what's cool is that even while you're drunk you think about music. Good man!
V3N0M3333  
31 Jul 2011 21:00 | Quote
United States
@jazz thanks

and yea i definitely think about music no matter what...i sneezed one time and tried to find out what note i started with....true story
tinyskateboard  
31 Jul 2011 21:41 | Quote
United States
People (here on AGC) were saying that Reggae was the same song over and over again, probably the same for Ranchera music, Cumbia, West African High Life, Polka, Techno...whatever.

But Pink Floyd went crazy and played a crazy set of things.

I Still like Desmond Dekker, Peter Tosh. Jimmy Cliff and Bob more than Floyd, but Floyd was pretty cool. Those Reggae guys all sounded kinda there same, but I love it.

Sometimes you can break through with genius, sometimes with doing the same old thing really well.

The Cure was kinda like Floyd for me... they did something sorta different...and were really successful at it. Like Zeppelin..that stuff was all borrowed...but they did it so well.

"Do what you like..." as Digital underground sez.
Domigan_Lefty  
31 Jul 2011 21:43 | Quote
United States
Back when I had a whammy bar:
Everything I did, I tried to be like Eddie Van Halen.

Eventually my POS Ibanez crapped out on me and I became a "new person" in my playing. I no longer played covers, I no longer tried to play like someone else. Whatever happened, happened.

Unfortunately I lost my song book. So pretty much everything became mashed into 3 minute sets of improv.

Until I fixed my Ibanez (Sort of, it's whammyless now)
Now I play bass on my Squier P-Bass. (How did that happen from fixing my Ibanez?)

When I play bass I sometimes "borrow" styles (Mostly from Flea),
but I add my unique touch to it.

But pretty much what I'm saying is whatever comes out when my fingers touch the fretboard, Its Mine. It may be "inspired by..." but when I play, it's my creation. When I hear something I don't like, I fix it, I adapt to make it fit into whatever I'm playing. I don't limit myself into a genre or six. I play whatever I feel like and form the genre around the guitar, not the guitar around the genre.

PS. I don't even understand half of what I just said.
tinyskateboard  
31 Jul 2011 21:48 | Quote
United States
Oh...to answer the question...I'd like to be known for a half a dozen catchy songs. I have some elbow nerve problems, so i don't think I'll be a guitar star. I'd like to have a few of my songs live on past my demise.
Ozzfan486  
31 Jul 2011 22:08 | Quote
United States
Licks: 1
I don't care how I'm recognized honestly. I just want to be seen as "good" enough that I can use my music as an excuse to vent what I feel, and hopefully go see the world. I think we owe it to ourselves as human beings to not stay in one spot, but to get out and take it all in. Will I be successful? Probably not lol. Whatever though. It's my life, I'd rather be roasting in a desert with some friends than dying in an office. Or worse yet, still being a dishwasher. lol.
Empirism  
1 Aug 2011 04:45 | Quote
Finland
Lessons: 4
Ozzfan486 says:
I'd rather be roasting in a desert with some friends than dying in an office. Or worse yet, still being a dishwasher. lol.!

I definately agree, btw... Stevie Ray Vaughan (guitar hurricane) was dishwasher rofl...
case211  
1 Aug 2011 13:33 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 2
Licks: 6
@Venom

ohhhhhhh XD haha sorry man, I've been sort of fried lately(pretty sick the last 6 days)

Well, the way that I develop my playing style now is very different than what it was a couple years ago. Now, I hear a cool lick, and then I learn it, however, I usually try to change it up for my taste. Back in the day, I would just copy it and use it verbatim. The only way that I "practice" is by sitting down and running through some songs that I know(with the backing tracks usually) to keep my chops up, or I just sit and tinker with the guitar for a few hours trying out new ideas with riffing and soloing. I don't really have a set in stone way of practice, since I may have said before, it feels more like homework rather than fun. I just let my 'muse' take me wherever :P
And as Dom mentioned, I've also stopped trying to sound like anyone in particular and just play my leads and riffs how they sound, not how Dave Mustaine(or anyone) would make them sound.
macandkanga  
1 Aug 2011 15:51 | Quote
United States
I will at least say that there are guitarists that are so recognizable almost imediately. Allan Holdsworth, Eddie Van Halen, Ritchie Blackmore, etc. They have a distinct tone and style. For the most part, they typically find a sound and stick with it.

gshredder2112  
1 Aug 2011 16:43 | Quote
United States
Licks: 3
Im a melting pot. I take all the styles I like
and basterdize it into something new.
Examples.
COUNTRY-FUSION
REGGAE-METAL
SHREGGAE(SHRED+REGGAE)
TECHNO-JAZZ
BLACK METAL-BLUEGRASS
some of them.might have been done before
but those are my personal favorites.
\M/(*-+)
gs2112
V3N0M3333  
1 Aug 2011 21:46 | Quote
United States
@gs black metal sucks nuts....but that is more suited for the "your opinions" page

@case no prob, dude....also, i didnt want to sound like i go at this whole "creating a style" thing everyday anyway haha

i popped a string(again-stupid ernie balls) so im actually gonna be at a halt for practicing stuff.....well...i still practice anyway but it gets aggrivating XD

but yea case...recently i started practicing similar to how you do in order to get my prasing better....backing tracks
gshredder2112  
2 Aug 2011 01:21 | Quote
United States
@V3 Yes,it more suited for the opions thread.
Its A shame you feel that way,As a shredder,id think
you would have respect for that genre.Its where i learned
to play fast.

*fun fact* I was in a blackened techno death band
called martyroath,we ripped.

\M/(*-+)
gs2112
V3N0M3333  
2 Aug 2011 14:13 | Quote
United States
i have respect for every genre...i just choose not 2 listen to it
gshredder2112  
2 Aug 2011 15:54 | Quote
United States
V3N0M3333 says:
Black metal suck nuts!

I dont think that qualifies as respect imo.

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.