Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

finding the right guitar effects you want..

Instruments and Gear
owel  
29 Jan 2011 06:01 | Quote
Philippines
hey guys..this was my "immortal" problem for years that I can't really solve, so I decided to ask here.And as as beginner, I just wanna ask, Is there some websites that teaches how to mix guitar effects for different genres of songs like, alternative, metal, funk, contemporary, jazz etc. can you please send me some lists of websites.
Thank you guys..
:C
Empirism  
29 Jan 2011 15:14 | Quote
Finland
Lessons: 4
I think you are in bit wrong direction, other than general mixing and mastering tricks thing is to use your ear and imagination. Not any sites or "presets" to specific genre.

I think there are no websites for Just that you asked, but general mixing and mastering sites there are plenty I think. Yeah, also studio and gig mixing are totally two different things so one clear answer is impossible.

But I think you should start here.

http://www.audiorecording.me/

Good luck m8 and feel free to ask if got some problems
Emp
MoshZilla1016  
29 Jan 2011 15:39 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 4
Licks: 19
This may help http://www.ehow.com/guitar-effects/. It show different effects and their sounds. Also which order may work best-ex. gain effects first, then modulation, then delay. Possibly putting delay after the volume for swells that hold a little longer. But to put a pedal for a certain genre would be hard to do since most genres use reverb, delay, chorus...plus even in the same genre settings are different to give each band/guitarist their own sound. Think about the sound or effect you are trying to get and listen to examples. Then just tweek it to your preference. Good luck owel.

@Emp Dude that is a good site Thanks :)
Domigan_Lefty  
29 Jan 2011 16:20 | Quote
United States
Some common effects for the genres you mentioned are
any/all of them
or none of them.

It's up to you. If you want death-metal gain for a country song, or a smooth jazz tone in a metal band, go ahead.
If you want to put flangers and wahwah in the middle of a verse, go ahead.

I would suggest delay, wahwah, and distortion; you can choose to try it, see if you like them, if not keep looking

We cannot tell you what effects to use, I'm afraid only you can figure that out.
harleyofdoom  
29 Jan 2011 18:28 | Quote
United States
Why don't you tell us a couple of specific songs that have effects you would like to aim for in them?

find youtube links to the songs post them up, we can try and name the effect being used and you can go from there .
owel  
9 Feb 2011 05:17 | Quote
Philippines
Empirism: Thanks for the advice,you're right. Im very thankful I've found this site.
Moshzilla: Thanks for the site, I think It'll help me.
Domigan: thanks
Harleyofbodom: do I need to mention them? anyway, I think I have to. Because Im a musician in a church too, so i play praise and worship songs, I like the effects that they use..If you know hillsong,I'm just wondering if what effects they usually use,eg.song is,Adonai,Came to my rescue,etc.
For metal,the lamb of god effects..
macandkanga  
9 Feb 2011 18:36 | Quote
United States
Try this site: http://www.guitargeek.com

On the bottom right corner is top 100 most viewed rigs. It gives detail, in pictures, of famous guitarists set ups. I've used it for a few and its somewhat effective!
ChicagoMedic  
9 Feb 2011 19:41 | Quote
United States
I think your best bet is to goto your local guitar shop and diddle around on all the pedals until they kick you out. I swear I can forget time in a guitar store.....
nater2  
9 Feb 2011 21:18 | Quote
United States
Just try out as many pedals as your possibly can. Also, I went through a lot of effects before I realized the importance of a good amp. In my opinion(and a lot other people's too) tube amps sound a lot better than solid state. So it might be a good idea to get a good amp first. Just a thought.
AlexB  
9 Feb 2011 21:33 | Quote
Mexico
Licks: 2
Try these,they were useful to me:

gx1327  
10 Feb 2011 12:55 | Quote
United States
listening doesn't mean sht if you can't identify which specific effects and pedals are being used. yeah i can listen to songs and say "i like how that sounds" but if i'm unfamiliar with effects... how is that supposed to help?
AlexB  
10 Feb 2011 14:42 | Quote
Mexico
Licks: 2
Listen to the actual FX,go to a guitar center,play with your friends FX,use virtual guitar amps and FX,compare and learn,and then compare/listen to songs,so when you hear them,you will say "hey,i like how that sounds,it sounds like a low ms delay with a bit of chorus and some orrganic distortion from a valve amp or pedal"
case211  
10 Feb 2011 14:48 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 2
Licks: 6
just listen to effects samples. They're usually on sites with the pedals listed by the manufacturer. Once you start to get that sort of sound down to memory you'll start to know exactly what's being used. Took me a while to get to, as I'm sure it may take you a while too.
BodomBeachTerror  
10 Feb 2011 18:32 | Quote
Canada
Licks: 1
or just youtube search different effects
case211  
10 Feb 2011 18:48 | Quote
United States
Licks: 6
+1 for simplifying my long, and overly complicated reply XD

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.