Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

First Cover Song Written by Me - Any Feedback?

Songwriting
JustJeff  
5 May 2009 12:27 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 2
So ya, I have never written my own cover song. I've usually just watched someone else play, or grabbed the tabs. So... this time I've written my own cover.

The song I picked is Hero by Enrique Iglesias. Now, before you go all, "Oh my god, that song sucks wtf?!", I picked it cause it was stuck in my head for some reason and I needed to get it out. It's a very simple melody with an even simpler rhythm.

There's the song. Take a listen and give me some feedback!!

Key = G.
Rhythm:
Verse = G, Em, C, D
Chorus = G, D, C
Metronome = 75

Thanks!
Guitarslinger124  
5 May 2009 12:59 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 12
Licks: 42
Kind of generic sounding, but you did an excellent job. very fluent. kind of relaxing to listen to. rock on man.
Phip  
5 May 2009 16:50 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 1
Sounds great jeff!
I've always liked the way you work the melody and rhythm into a piece that one guitarist can play alone.
Good job
Phip
Jguitar914  
5 May 2009 17:27 | Quote
United States
wow. thats really good dude.
Jguitar914  
5 May 2009 17:30 | Quote
United States
how did you put that player in the post?
JustJeff  
5 May 2009 17:54 | Quote
United States
Soundclick provides standalone players for all of the songs uploaded on it. So you just copy the embed code and put it here and it works :)
league  
6 May 2009 00:42 | Quote
United States
Great picking

Thats a good song on acoustic.
JustJeff  
6 May 2009 07:59 | Quote
United States
@league
Thanks for the compliment. It really does sound nice, it's just very repetitive. I may try to work in the ***ty solo it has in it, maybe spice things up a bit. Would be weird trying to play a solo while keeping the rhythm going. Should be a nice, easy song to try it out on.

Man, who knew that writing a cover song could be so much fun!
telecrater  
6 May 2009 19:38 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 8
Hey Jeff,

I have to say that some of your other original stuff is much more impressive that this song. not that playing was bad but i just in joy or original songs better.

I love that august rush inspired song

JustJeff  
6 May 2009 23:07 | Quote
United States
@telecrater
I find that my original stuff doesn't really draw much attention when I play. Nobody really cares. Though, when I play a fingerstyle cover of one of their favorite songs, people listen. It's the sad truth, but I'm converting

Just as a side note, I feel like a real veteran with the "Joined: way back" under my picture :)
telecrater  
6 May 2009 23:24 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 8
Yeah I think thats just the way it is. being a musician you want to express your self by creating your own art, but as a performer you got to play what the people want....and that usually songs they know.

Keep it up I really like your original stuff but I'll keep hitting up your sound click site eve if you post covers up there.
Afro_Raven  
7 May 2009 17:20 | Quote
United Kingdom
Fantastic. Loved every second - nice one dude!

Afro
JustJeff  
8 May 2009 01:03 | Quote
United States
@afro_raven
Thanks for the feedback man. Appreciate the words.

The song is ranked #15 on the soundclick charts for having 100+ plays. I wonder if I can get it to the top 10.
Afro_Raven  
8 May 2009 02:58 | Quote
United Kingdom
One thing I've just noticed dude - at the end of each chorus on the phrase "my breath away", you're ending on a G chord, whereas in the original it ends on a C chord. If you knew that but decided to end on G, sorry my mistake!
Like I said before though, love it.

Afro
JustJeff  
8 May 2009 08:09 | Quote
United States
I don't think that last phrase ends on a C... if you listen to the song, there is another chord change in between "you can take" then "my breath away"

I think he goes on that last line, G, D, C, G, just a fast change on the C.
blackholesun  
8 May 2009 16:55 | Quote
United Kingdom
Licks: 1
It sounds good. I love how you morph the chords and melody into one guitar part.
JustJeff  
9 May 2009 09:58 | Quote
United States
@blackholesun
Thanks man. Appreciate it. You should try it some time. Especially if you are improving a solo on the spot: it's good to be able to morph the vocal onto a guitar. I love playing behind people who sing and harmonizing with them. It just makes the vocals sound oh so much better :)

Next time I'll pick a more challenging song so its a bit more impressive. This took me only about an hour to tab out and learn. I didn't even have to cheat :) Next song should be "I'm yours" by Jason Mraz. I was playing it all day while I was studying, and when I just picked up my guitar I was able to play the whole thing just by thinking of it in my head. So it should be apretty sweet cover when I record it. :)

Up to #13 :) Only a few more to get on the top 10 :-P
Admiral  
11 Jun 2009 18:04 | Quote
Germany
Good work Jeff! Really like the song!
Good one to impress the ladies, haha.

keep up the good work

greets from germany
patleh  
11 Jun 2009 18:28 | Quote
United States
i don't get if it's a cover than how did you write it, isn't it more remixing?
JustJeff  
11 Jun 2009 19:16 | Quote
United States
It's an arrangement written by me... meaning you won't hear it done by anyone else :-P
crislyn23_nt  
11 Jun 2009 20:47 | Quote
United States
yea, i like it! the slaps you did on the strings sounds really nice,
patleh  
11 Jun 2009 22:18 | Quote
United States
i think i get it now...
JazzMaverick  
13 Jun 2009 14:58 | Quote
United Kingdom
Lessons: 24
Licks: 37
Jeff, our interests seem to be the exact same I swear... I was going to record this song and just found that you had posted it! I prefer your verson of this than my one. You should post it up on here for the others to learn.

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.