Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

Is Rock and Roll Dead?

Music and Bands
1 2
future_god_of_the_axe  
29 Nov 2008 15:59 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 2
its seems like rock and roll is dying. is there anybody out there who wants to join me in ressurecting the rock?!
Ozzfan486  
29 Nov 2008 16:05 | Quote
United States
Licks: 1
Let us royally kick the ass of the age of Jonas!!!!! lol.
future_god_of_the_axe  
29 Nov 2008 16:06 | Quote
United States
i play a cheap epiphone les paul junior. but i even it out with a mid-70's fender bassman ten amp.
Ozzfan486  
29 Nov 2008 16:07 | Quote
United States
lol. What kind of guitar you play man?
future_god_of_the_axe  
29 Nov 2008 16:11 | Quote
United States
i play a cheap epiphone les paul junior. but i even it out with a mid-70's fender bassman ten amp.
les_paul  
29 Nov 2008 16:54 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 3
Licks: 2
To me rock, and rock and roll are two different things. Rock has changed a lot over the years but it is still popular, but real rock and roll is hard to find at all in modern music.
future_god_of_the_axe  
29 Nov 2008 17:01 | Quote
United States
les_paul says:
To me rock, and rock and roll are two different things. Rock has changed a lot over the years but it is still popular, but real rock and roll is hard to find at all in modern music.

Hell Yeah!! thats exactlly how i think. rock and roll is something spiritual, it has deep meaning and can go the distance. i catogorize all music into two things. Entertainment: where its just fast solos and its about a hooker n stuff, but then theres MUSIC, where theres a message behind the song and it actually means something. like "for what its worth", or "American Pie" songs like that, eventhough they are a slow tempo sometimes or arent too impressive in some songs, that is what TRUE rock and roll is.
BodomBeachTerror  
29 Nov 2008 17:43 | Quote
Canada
what lp said
GRX40  
29 Nov 2008 19:36 | Quote
United States
Is rock dead? No.
future_god_of_the_axe  
29 Nov 2008 19:45 | Quote
United States
the way its going it will
GRX40  
29 Nov 2008 20:00 | Quote
United States
I think it's already turning around. People are releasing music without major record labels and taking it in their own hands. All you have to do is look around, maybe not on the MTV or the Top 40 radio (though there are some good things on there) but in your local record store, in your local concert venue, on the MySpace, on the independent radio stations. There's good music, it's just a little harder to find.
telecrater  
29 Nov 2008 20:15 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 8
I think your right, The problem with self releasing music is that sometimes would does not get out as quick. The major labels are not going to tell you about it.
Empirism  
30 Nov 2008 15:38 | Quote
Finland
Lessons: 4
Rock...never die, its more than music. Its lifestyle, its attitude, Union and nation. We might get outnumbered, but we dont get exiled.

They are...

future_god_of_the_axe  
30 Nov 2008 15:42 | Quote
United States
exactly, rock and roll will never die, it will come close, but it will never die. but, it can be held captive by wierd, stupid, emo, jonas, miley, and all kinds of **** music. right now, rock and roll is stuck in a P.O.W. camp and is being stabbed kicked and spit on my some emo kid, the jonas brothers, and a bunch of guitar hero players.

WE HAVE TO SAVE IT!
Empirism  
30 Nov 2008 15:47 | Quote
Finland
These days rock not rule the lists, but it rule the festivals, live performances and gigs in pubs and bars... Rock give hell of an parties...no friggin XTC PumpPumpPump...

Added a little local band above post. Its rarely been high in Finnish lists, but that band is a legend. everyone here know these guys.
JoeDalton  
1 Dec 2008 09:25 | Quote
First of all, rock and roll is a much more swinging type music like Elvis, I'm guessing he is not who you are thinking off.

Rock has taken many shapes, seems like it is still dominating the charts, just maybe not the type you like.
If rock is to die it's by the hands of people who are trying to claim it as their own little unique experience that the "mainstream" couldn't understand.

I don't see why someone would hate the Jonas brothers, they are under the disney label arent they? What do you expect? Some guys getting on stage with the needle still in their arm?
I would say you should be happy about it, they are breeding a whole generation of rockers who will grow up to expand their horizon.
madman3123  
1 Dec 2008 09:51 | Quote
United Kingdom
@ empirism whats that band you posted the video of

and rock like floyd or zep is in the decrease although metal seems to be coming back strong so rock should some day
Empirism  
1 Dec 2008 15:49 | Quote
Finland
Well Joe, for me consept Rock is all Rock. Clam rock, Hard rock, Rock'n'roll to mention few... but also, its an attitude... Elvis had it, Stray Cats had it...its also lifestyle... I have it, even I dont own Elvis style hair...

But you are also right Joe, maybe i should correct my meaning a little. In album charts, there are few rock bands :), but if you look single charts, there is almost none in top20. And what music tv and such commercial channels show...are singles. So that might give a little false reality.

@madman

Its a band called Hanoi Rocks. One of the most best live bands ever been. Even gun's n roses didnt want to share same stage (in japan if i remember right), because Hanoi rocks are too rock, told Axl. They were close friends.
macandkanga  
2 Dec 2008 12:39 | Quote
United States
Even as an old fart who has complained a lot about music today I'd still have to say no. The great thing about music is that it never dies. Somebody somewhere is always into something. I spent the weekend listening to old Grateful Dead and Neil Young albums!
telecrater  
2 Dec 2008 18:45 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 8
I love the Dead!!!!!!!

just in case anyone forgot
JoeDalton  
3 Dec 2008 06:52 | Quote
Emp
I meant Rock and Roll is it's own genre of music. It's very swinging. It's not actually what the maker of this topic seems to think it is.
Rock is kind of the big daddy that had many offspring which rock and roll falls under.

Anyway let me ask this.
Say rock is to go back to GnR or back to the Stones... what do we gain?
We already have that music, we have a LOT of that music, we already have the ability to listen to it.
Music is a forward motion, that's the only way it will gain anything.
Looking back is fine to get inspiration, but you should look forward to make music.

brodyxhollow  
3 Dec 2008 08:21 | Quote
United States
Joe, that's probably one of the best ways that I've seen it put.
JazzMaverick  
3 Dec 2008 08:54 | Quote
United Kingdom
Lessons: 24
Licks: 37
Exactly.
future_god_of_the_axe  
3 Dec 2008 09:42 | Quote
United States
its not neccesserely the music that im worried about, its the spirit of the music. like i said, i dont think rock is dead, i think its held captive. i know there are alot of music out there that still have the rock and roll message. but yet, the people controlling the mainstream rock are slowly crushing rock. and even though i dont like the jonas brothers or musicians of that kind, i still have to give them credit when some of there songs stay true to rock.

nowadays, rock is over populated with fast metal solos that go on forever, screaming into the mic, or some emo kid crying about his feelings. everybodies trying to out do eachother, and thats not what rock is about. dont get me wrong, if a song sounds good and has a message that speaks to me, then i listen and like.

it seems to me that when people say that rock is an evolutionary genre, it gives freedome to anybody to tottaly butcher it. todays music sucks, and you cant lie that if it keeps evolving, its going to turn into britney spears type bubble gum pop! unless we make music that changes the direction of rock! we are a new generation of rockers, and i will not stand by while we continue to go down the wrong path. (sorry the whole thing was so long)
Empirism  
3 Dec 2008 11:13 | Quote
Finland
What do we gain if we look back and get another new Brian Setzer into todays music? Luckily Brian still rockin... Music is a forward motion, so is there something new we had with these britney spears, Mika, Jonas Brothers and so on? No, they are puppets of recording companies that are made from same stone everyone whose only attitude is look good and farm money, praise the god and jump on every trend which seems or are supposed to sell good. Do they create something new?

I get my inspiration to music from attitude, I know that many do not, but I dont demand it. Yes I look back to get Inspiration, because I have to, todays lists have not that kind of bands that can give it and I believe that that is the point also thread starter thinking of.

Yes, Rock and roll is a swinging style music and Rock is more straight, but they all have connection called attitude, and I must say that it's much more better style than these "´Pump, Pump, Pump, Pump" techno ****. (yes there are many who like techno, but for me its a techno ****)
or "gum pop" :P.

This not mean, that I think all todays music sucks, but most of them and almost all that can be found top 20 do. Do we found Jazz in todays lists?...I dont see many. Do we see rock in todays lists?, yes I see few, Do we see crap in todays lists?, yes I see many.

Cheers!
Empirism

madman3123  
3 Dec 2008 11:44 | Quote
United Kingdom
the screaming thing is more metal which isn't really rock i mean it was born from rock like rock was born from blues but it is now turned into somthing of a separate entity with all its sub genres. Rock that is good and talented is out there its just that a lot of teenage girls dont like bands because theres no "fit guys" and that damages a lot of bands when people go on looks not talent

I used to date a girl whos only defence for Pete Wentz of fall out boys bad playing was that it didnt matter as he looked good this is how people are raised to think and i hate it. I seems to bring forth the idea that people won't love you or your music if your ugly or largely seen as unattractive and if you do suceed you have to wonder is it because of my face or my heart.

We only have society and the media to blame for this flaunting of celebrity culture.
BodomBeachTerror  
3 Dec 2008 11:57 | Quote
Canada
yeah its all about image, if bands just spent all the time getting the hot new clothes or trying to look good, and actually practiced and got lessons? there could be some good mainstreme bands out there
ThePusher  
3 Dec 2008 12:35 | Quote
Canada
Lessons: 3
Wow I miss this sight but its gone the way I thought it would, anyways rock is not dead its an immortal anyone saying different knows no music but the mainstream bull*** forced down your throat by MTV and Much Music, for a valid oppinion you have to ook at bands like Slough Feg who still sound like classic old hrd rock/metal and think their last release was last year so in conclusion its in a sad place but so is AGC this is my formal resignation as a poster odd place for it I know
future_god_of_the_axe  
3 Dec 2008 20:10 | Quote
United States
you guys arent getting what im saying! i know that rock will evolve, im very proud of it. BUT, the way that its evolving is not the rock that i want to be a part of! you can try and say that theres local bands that still have rock and roll spirit, but the fact of the matter is that the mainstream media CONTROLS the media! it doesnt matter if there are lone bands, people dont give a f*&ck! ill alwas be a fan of those no name bands, but the people that are deciding the fate of music are the followers of the mainstream! so what will become of rock if you guys keep putting this idea aside, with your excuses of local bands and not repeating the past! ill be dead im my grave before i let rock slip through my fingers.
GRX40  
3 Dec 2008 21:24 | Quote
United States
In the "Mainstream Media", rock has generally fallen to pop music, so pop dominating the charts is nothing totally new/surprising. These are the top 10 Billboard singles of 1975:

1. Love Will Keep Us Together, The Captain and Tennille
2. Rhinestone Cowboy, Glen Campbell
3. Philadelphia Freedom, Elton John
4. Before The Next Teardrop Falls, Freddy Fender
5. My Eyes Adored You, Frankie Valli
6. Shining Star, Earth, Wind and Fire
7. Fame, David Bowie
8. Laughter In The Rain, Neil Sedaka
9. One Of These Nights, Eagles
10. Thank God I'm A Country Boy, John Denver

So, out of those, maybe only Eagles and David Bowie could be called rock, and they're definitely not heavier rock at all. But you know what other singles came out in 1975?

"Tush" by ZZ Top (20), "Trampled Underfoot" by Led Zeppelin (38), "Rock and Roll All Nite" by Kiss (68), "Sweet Emotion" by Aerosmith (36), "Squeeze Box" by the Who (16), "Slow Ride" by Foghat (20), "Katmandu" by Bob Seger (43)

(#=where these songs peaked on the Billboard charts)

These are all pretty high on the charts, but they did not reach the highest levels on the charts. But this was in a great time of rock music! Rock wasn't dying at this time because it doesn't/didn't need the highest popularity to be good.
future_god_of_the_axe  
4 Dec 2008 00:29 | Quote
United States
nice point GR, i like where your going with that.
So i think were about ready to come to a coclusion.

-rock will never die because it has the power to evolve.

-the way that rock is evolving is a little concerning.

-There will always be good rock, locally or a little hard to find.

but you still have to admit that rock does need a little push in the right direction, or at least a portion of rock. right?
soy.el.che  
6 Dec 2008 00:17 | Quote
Mexico
Lessons: 1
rock is universal, that is whats so special about it, cause pop changes from country to country almost always... itll never die
JazzMaverick  
6 Dec 2008 04:26 | Quote
United Kingdom
Just make it how you want it to be. Realistically you're not going to be able to stop other people from making the type of Rock that you don't like. So just make it the way you want it and see if you get out there. That's pretty much the only thing you can do.
highonbodominflames  
9 Jan 2009 10:55 | Quote
United States
Rock isnt dead but what was considered rock a long time ago is now classified as Heavy Metal when its not. you cant tell me that Velvet revolver or motley crue is metal.

to answer if rock is dead i have three words for you

BLACK
STONE
CHERRY
Empirism  
9 Jan 2009 12:51 | Quote
Finland
Velvet revolver and especially Mötley crue are definately not metal :D. agree on that.

But rock is still rock, rock'n'roll is still rock'n'roll and rockabilly is still rockabilly... its not classified as heavy metal in my humble opinion...

also you cant tell me that Children of bodom is rock or rockabilly eh? :D
Pager  
12 Jan 2009 04:41 | Quote
Australia
Heavy Metal spans a variety of types of music. Then there all teh different types of Metal, Thrash Metal, Black Metal, Screamo Metal, Heavy Metal etc. So you can't pin Heavy Metal on modern bands such as Metallica (LOL @ coincidence in name) and Iron Maiden, but you have to look at the classic Heavy Metal Bands, Judas Priest, Wishbone Ash and of course the Fathers of Rock and Heavy Metal LED ZEPPELIN...

having said that, if led zeppelin were the creators of heavy metal, then shouldnt heavy metal be influenced by blues because ZEP were bluesy because of the band members love of the blues. but nowadays Heavy Metal is not at all blues and such...so is it REALLY heavy metal...
AcGrimm  
12 Jan 2009 08:08 | Quote
South Africa

Pager I’m sorry but the creators of Metal in any way shape or form is Black Sabbath. Tony Iommi played something on the guitar that sounded nice (Evil/dark/Bad) then in effect he started playing in the demonic mode (existed in the olden days of classic artists Beethoven, Mozart and the like)... the old blues men used to also avoid a note one they called the devil's note. Metal as we knor it is mostly built around this note. Ref: Movie/Documentary Metal a Headbanger’s Journey.

"Metal a Headbanger’s Journey" is something to be watched if you like music. It's an Anthropologist’s approach to explaining metal.

And btw rock in essence is based on the works of The Beatles and Buddy Holly to name but two.... everyone is arguing about the commercial selling points.

I’ll add a fan image of the Metal Genealogy in "Metal a Headbanger’s Journey". And the link to find it. Img : http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b7/Metal_Genealogy.jpg

This covers what is and is not Metal persay, in my oppinion atleast.

also one to look at is http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t6/BlisteringDDj/HistoryofHeavymetal2.jpg
RA  
12 Jan 2009 08:35 | Quote
United States
i normally don't post on unrelated topics, but i must TRY to end the stupid(no offense to anyone). and while I'm not trying to single you out (i disagree with this whole thing thread even entering anyone's thought process) @AcGrim to you even know what the devils interval is because if you did you would know it is THE note in minor blues scale. that and the whole chart it stupid sorry it is. it as dumb as the people who say punk is English.

so to end it i have to agree and tell you Miles Davis option on the matter when asked. He said all pop(meaning popular) music is social that he plays social music he saw no distinction between himself and Britney spears, he would play anything to express himself it didn't matter

on a side note rock and roll doesn't exist it is all rhythm and blues. rocking and rolling slang for sex and white peoples music. it is all rhythm and blues,

but who cares it's all social music just lay back and that those tunes play and don't worry so much about it all it's arguments of egos now and who needs that (not just this thread all arguments about it) .

that and "So What" is amazing miles is the man crazy **.
JazzMaverick  
12 Jan 2009 12:20 | Quote
United Kingdom
I agree with RA. It doesn't really matter who started what, the point is; it's here, so let's just play our amazing beauties and communicate through music.

P.S. - "So What" is AWESOME!!! :D
jcb3000  
12 Jan 2009 12:42 | Quote
United Kingdom
No sub-genre of rock will ever die aslong as we unite at gigs to cheer for whichever band happens to play. Its all down to the people who are fans of the genre. If you like some music, it will live for aslong as someone likes it!
1 2

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.