Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

I need recommendations

Music and Bands
soy.el.che  
21 Aug 2009 17:25 | Quote
Mexico
Lessons: 1
the bass player is alternative (u2, coldplay, muse, all american rejects, arctic monkeys, etc). the other guitarrist is a metal shredder (In flames, megadeth, iron maiden, metallica, a7x, atreyu, and any other metal shredd band).

I want to find a band or bands with a playing style somewhere in the middle sowe can use them as influences. itd be cool if youd recommend any band thats somewhere in the middle
blackholesun  
21 Aug 2009 17:33 | Quote
United Kingdom
Licks: 1
Oceansize could be a good bet

Ozzfan486  
21 Aug 2009 17:54 | Quote
United States
Licks: 1
No offense to BHS, but I don't think trying to be like another band will help. Tell the bassist or guitarist to make a riff/rhythm part or something and then everyone just join in.
case211  
21 Aug 2009 18:52 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 2
Licks: 6
ozzfan is right. honestly, I would let them both do their own thing.
For example, my bass player is really into early metallica and other thrash type metal, I'm into more of the Van Halen type of stuff, as well as being very blues influenced in my playing. We have managed to find a middle ground just by haveing a few jam sessions for an hour each. If they play together, eventually they'll mesh together their playing and you will end up with a very unique sound and feel to whatever you write.
JazzMaverick  
21 Aug 2009 19:39 | Quote
United Kingdom
Lessons: 24
Licks: 37
You're both definitely right, but everyone needs inspiration. I personally believe Che is perfectly capable of being inspired yet refrain from copying others. So some examples won't hurt.

BHS mentioned a great band, definitely worth checking them out.
telecrater  
21 Aug 2009 20:07 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 8
Get the bass player a drummer to lock in the grove and the rest will come along
carlsnow  
22 Aug 2009 07:30 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 2
@soy.el.che

i would strongly advise against trying to 'find influences'.

we are all influenced by the music we hear , the folks we meet, books we read, films , etc-etc; that to look for an influence seems enormously counterproductive, both to your and your bands musical growth.

play what you feel.
IF the band does not fit what you hear/feel in your head, its not the band for you - or you for them.
+
this would be a great time to form your OWN style (and, in doing so , not only find YOUR groove, but, perhaps 'influence' others)

didn't wanna come-off preachy-sounding, but...lol

RAWK!
Cs

Empirism  
22 Aug 2009 09:37 | Quote
Finland
Lessons: 4
Doh, I dont see any bad of looking inspiration or style from bands. Like Carl said, we are all influenced music we hear. Finding own style is hard for a new band. If they wanna do some covers or a like why dun they try to find a styles or band that suits their band members playing style or styles they like eh?

I think own style will come by the time goes, not searching or seeking the "the tone" right on start... it lead easily on frustration or getting nothing done.

I think band mentioned by BHS is good start, others could be a rage against the machine or static-x, Disturbed or System of Down could be cool. Btw, good to see you back BHS, where the hell you been? :D

Cheers
Empirism
telecrater  
22 Aug 2009 12:59 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 8
If y'all want to make it work you will make it. Here is my history with bands.

My first band...we had a punk guitar player and singer, A grunge guitar player (me), and classic rock/industiral bass player and no drummer. Over all we could barley play togheter but we were able to play with a loose groove it was really pretty cool....but were were really thirsty alot must have been all the weed.

My Second band in high school we had a funk drummer, and grunge bassest (me), an alt guitar player (sort of like the band live), and a singer who sounded like Eddie Vedder. We made it work... we were pretty tight and did some pearl jamish and standard clean alt rock stuff but then we broke down in some funky bridges.

My thrid band, singer and guitar player was influenced by 80's rock but yet wrote depressing acoustic songs. Me on the bass still part grunge but by now I've discovered the grateful dead, phish and was trying different things. We had many 2nd guitar players and drummers partialy becuase the singer would flip out and either kick them out of the band or they would stop showing to practice. I think i was kicked out at least a dozen times....we never really went anywhere.

so to my point.....If your really wanting to work together, and can respect what each musican brings to the band you can really make it work and create something new.
soy.el.che  
22 Aug 2009 18:56 | Quote
Mexico
Lessons: 1
im openly an originality activist. only thing i need is a safe startpoint on which those two feel comfortable playing. im like the guy that introduced them, so they turn to me to tell me to help convince the other guy to play the style he likes best; the way both describe the styles is like a mixture of different bands they like. being on my shoes, where neither is flexible on their taste, i came to the conclusion that what im doing is the best i can if i want to keep the bnd together
J05H  
22 Aug 2009 23:45 | Quote
United States
somthing never been done before

drum roll please

death funk metal

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.