What Moves You...

Music and Bands
JazzMaverick  
6 Aug 2011 22:38 | Quote
United Kingdom
Lessons: 24
Licks: 37
So guys (or the rare species of the female race),

Tell me about music that MOVES you - music that gives you an epiphany, that sinks into your soul, that expresses yourself almost perfectly.

Lately I've been backtracking, writing down music that really stood out to me each year I've been alive (from the start of when I can actually remember) and basically I'm making a life album - a document that holds all the great music that really stood out to me.

Anyway, I couldn't sleep so I was thinking about watching Wonders of the Universe and decided to play a quick mind game, and this song came on and it's just a song that really sticks into my head, I loved it.

Then I went on youtube to hear their song and saw one of their other songs which I hadn't heard of and clicked on that... It's just one of those songs that I can't describe why, it's overall simple - but it is so amazing to me that it MUST go on my life album.

SO tell me what moves YOU! What songs or bands drive you crazy for all the right reasons!
V3N0M3333  
6 Aug 2011 23:09 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 1
Licks: 15
anything with a sort of depressing, sorrowing mood to it... well put together arpeggios and good progressions

thats where the basis of my playing and ideas come from
Ozzfan486  
6 Aug 2011 23:33 | Quote
United States
Licks: 1
Well, I'll just post a few songs that kind of sum up where I was at at different points in my life. I think that's the basis.

When I was a kid I used to be crazy this song for some reason, and my dad always played it for me.

When I started getting older I got into whatever I thought was cool, and then got completely obsessed with Green Day for a couple of years.
I absolutely love this song, as I do wth most of their songs. They're so catchy, yet so simple, and Billie Joe Armstrong writes some of the best lyrics in my opinion. The chorus to this is always in my head.

Then when I started getting into my teens I got into heavier stuff like Black Sabbath and Ozzy Osbourne and Pantera. This was when I started playing guitar, typically haha. So, I figured for this time period I'd post one of the songs I listened to a lot, and one that I still think is one of Sabbath's heaviest songs.

Then when I really got into guitar and what I just thought was more badass rock & roll was when I basically became infatuated with Guns N' Roses, Led Zeppelin, and Aerosmith, all the classics like those bands.
Here's one of my favorite Gn'R songs, mainly because out of their catalog it's pretty underrated and overlooked, but it's really different, and the solo is one of the best Slash has done imo.

For right now, and lately, I've been into a lot of stuff. Mainly going back and forth between the Stones, Pink Floyd, and whoever else I want to listen to at the moment. I'll just post some songs I think are cool right now I guess. :p

One of my favorite songs of all time, period. Every time I hear it I'm completely at peace, no matter what mood I'm in. It's just really moody and atmospheric, I love it.

And last is what I think is one of the most badass songs I've ever heard. It's not really what you'd expect out of Floyd, but whatever. It's great.

Alright, I'm done.

Ozz

BodomBeachTerror  
6 Aug 2011 23:55 | Quote
Canada
Lessons: 2
Licks: 1
What moves me? stuff like this

DanielM  
7 Aug 2011 04:08 | Quote
United Kingdom
Well songs that move me would be:

Stone sour- Bother
Nine inch nails - something I can never have, Right where it belongs

And also these two songs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xptIEkCHTZ4&list=FLMzh-n-fmseo&index=11
and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00HEKhc5rT0

Hybrid break my soul I feel the lyrics are perfect and the combination of synths, the orchestra, the beat that comes in and the acoustic guitar interlude. Very different elements but I think they are combined perfectly and it's amazing.

Rasputina have done things with cellos I had never thought of and the music is definitely unique the only problem is that their albums are incredibly hard to get.

EDIT: embed not working at all so I just pasted the links
Empirism  
7 Aug 2011 04:23 | Quote
Finland
Lessons: 4

hmm... why? for her I could sacrifice my life.
Emp

ps. notice those standing ovation at the end? i think there is no one person sitting.
DarkRiff  
7 Aug 2011 13:52 | Quote
United States
Licks: 2
When you said what song drives you crazy I automatically thought

I don't really know what you mean but "moving". With some of the songs posted it makes me think "what depresses you". I'm not really an emotional guy but a few songs just make me feel like I'm flying through the whole of space and time itself.

There's probably more that I can't remember at the moment.
Empirism  
7 Aug 2011 15:12 | Quote
Finland
Oh yeah, moving... how about??

mwaha
Emp

btw, worth to check out this one too ^^

happy trippin
MoshZilla1016  
7 Aug 2011 17:04 | Quote
United States
Licks: 19
This song is old but it sticks out to me since I was really into metal at the time. This song was so out of character with who I was then. I loved to watch my friends expressions when I played this. I remember tellin one of my metal only friends "It's my life, I'll like what I want".

Guitarslinger124  
8 Aug 2011 02:52 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 12
Licks: 42

DanielM  
8 Aug 2011 04:34 | Quote
United Kingdom
@Mosh Edie Brickell is great, I have their first CD on my pc :P

@Emp Loreena McKennit is great, I'm gonna have to check out more of her stuff now
macandkanga  
8 Aug 2011 10:38 | Quote
United States
This song, Cosmic Messenger by Jean Luc Ponty, still moves me to this day. I was in Hawaii a few years back sitting on an isolated beach by myself at sunset and put my headphones on and listened to this song as the sun set. It was the most beautiful and moving musical experience of my life.

thatguitarguy  
8 Aug 2011 13:29 | Quote
United States
things with really cool concepts like Ayreons the human equation

also things that express the emotions they are meant to very well. like type o negative.
Guitarslinger124  
10 Aug 2011 02:58 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 12
Licks: 42
Can't believe I forgot to add this:

Rock on!

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.