Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

Most Overrated Guitarist

Poll
1 2
Only registered users can vote and see results!

macandkanga  
5 Jul 2011 12:17 | Quote
United States
Yngwie Johann Malmsteen is a Swedish guitarist, composer, multi-instrumentalist and bandleader. Malmsteen became known for his neo-classical playing approach in heavy metal music which became a new musical style in the early 1980s. He is considered by many to be one of the most technically gifted rock guitarists of all time and a pioneer of shred guitar.

This quote is taken right out of Wikipedia which uses iformation and opinions from millions of people. This info is updated continuously by anyone who wants to. If you don't think Yngwie is deserving of this credit you can go to Wikipedia yourself and contribute your opinion and see if will change. I can tell you now, it won't.

Again, I understand why people don't like certain artist for various reasons, but I don't understand why anyone would say someone like Malmsteen is not musical or lacks feeling, blah, blah, blah. It makes no sense. If you can't do what he does, than there's not much you could say. If you can, it's because of guitarists like him that you can.
Ozzfan486  
5 Jul 2011 12:48 | Quote
United States
Licks: 1
Domigan,

You've never heard Joe Perry, yet you can go on a rant about Slash? Joe was in this little, tiny, eensy-weensy band called Aerosmith. The Edge was in U2, I garauntee you've heard him on the radio.

And as for your reasons why Slash is overrated, it's false. He was asked to be in guitar hero, by the people in guitar hero. He's also said in interviews that they didn't pay him any large sum of money to do it, and that he got no royalties for having them use him in the game. And if he sold out, then every other band and musician that's in those games sold out, according to that kind of logic. He was asked to be in the game and on the cover because he's GOOD, no more, no less. If you were asked by some large company to be a part of something they were doing because they recognized your guitar playing, would you turn them down?

As for Sweet Child O' Mine, gimme a break. It just comes down to what I just said, again, it's GOOD. That's like saying you want to slap James Hetfield for writing Seek And Destroy, or Eddie Van Halen for writing Eruption. It's just one more of the many GOOD songs that young musicians want to learn how to play.
matt8675  
5 Jul 2011 12:57 | Quote
Australia
Licks: 2
Well, If Disney (a large company) tried to put me on a record contract I would say no. lol.
btimm  
5 Jul 2011 13:31 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 2
macandkanga says:
This quote is taken right out of Wikipedia which uses iformation and opinions from millions of people. This info is updated continuously by anyone who wants to. If you don't think Yngwie is deserving of this credit you can go to Wikipedia yourself and contribute your opinion and see if will change. I can tell you now, it won't.

Again, I understand why people don't like certain artist for various reasons, but I don't understand why anyone would say someone like Malmsteen is not musical or lacks feeling, blah, blah, blah. It makes no sense. If you can't do what he does, than there's not much you could say. If you can, it's because of guitarists like him that you can.

But this thread is all about personal opinion. So just because millions of other people may ahve a different opinion than me, doesn't make it wrong. Using sports, every single ball club in the country had the opinion that Mike Piazza sucked. He was only picked by the Dodgers at the end of the draft as a favor to Tommy Lasorda. He then went on to become one of, if not the best hitting catcher MLB has ever seen. Just because the opinion is of the masses doesn't make it any more than an opinion.

Also, just because I can't do what he does doesn't make me unable to comment. I think he lacks movement and drive in his music and it doesn't do anything for me. In what I consider quality music, a guy like Malmsteen couldn't hold a candle to someone like SRV, who used melodies much more than shredding.

On the other hand, it also doesn't make your opinion wrong either. lol :D
Ozzfan486  
5 Jul 2011 13:38 | Quote
United States
matt8675 says:
Well, If Disney (a large company) tried to put me on a record contract I would say no. lol.

lol, given. Disney is more like a disease instead of a large company.
macandkanga  
5 Jul 2011 15:22 | Quote
United States
I guess so btimm. But what I "hear" in the comments against him is the same sorta thing you hear/read about the Lakers, Yankess, Kobe, Jeter, Magic Johnson,etc. "They suck" "They're over rated" "They get paid too much" on and on. It's low brow hater kinda comments. The facts say different. Even quotes like "he lacks movement and drive in his music". What? Really? Have you listened to his first album Rising Force? "it does'nt do anything for me" makes more sense and I regard that as an opinion. I say things like that about artists all the time. Then comparing him to SRV is like comparing apples to oranges. Yeah, they're both fruit but they are different.

I know what you're getting at though. My wife said I barbecued too much steak last night. I don't even know what TOO MUCH STEAK means!

gshredder2112  
5 Jul 2011 16:13 | Quote
United States
Licks: 3
@btimm I never seen it posted anywhere on this thread that
says opinions have to be personal.I like macs idea.Make an opinion aand bias on facts,rather than stereotypes,and whatever comes to.mind
case211  
5 Jul 2011 16:46 | Quote
United States
Licks: 6
Cobain. That was easy.

Slash could actually put together a decent solo.
I've never heard a Nirvana song that made me go "whoa, who's that on guitar?"

Malmsteen is an awesome guitarist too. Maybe not the easiest to listen or get into, but definitely one of the best in history. Because of him paving the way with Rising Force(cool album by the way)we had neo-classical/shred get noticed and acts like Cacophony were able to come together. He did a lot man, he definitely is under-appreciated, not over-rated.

And don't get upset over that, since you asked about the guitar playing not the songwriting.

Also, you can flame me for it, but Jimmy Page is definitely over rated IMO.
btimm  
5 Jul 2011 17:14 | Quote
United States
@ 2112: Opinions are by definition a reflection of your own thoughts on an idea and are in no way factual. A fact can be proven; an opinion cannot be proven. That is why an opinion can never be wrong - you can't prove or disprove it. That is what I was getting at.
macandkanga  
5 Jul 2011 18:04 | Quote
United States
I actually agree with btimm on his definition of an opinion gshred. Get married and you will know what we're talking about! If my wife's opinion is that I am wrong, She is right! Confusing? Yes. Again, get married and you'll find out.
gshredder2112  
5 Jul 2011 18:06 | Quote
United States
@btimm Opinions are often based off of facts.You wouldnt be able
to reach a conclusion or opinion without
knowing atleast some facts about the topic.
V3N0M3333  
5 Jul 2011 20:20 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 1
Licks: 15
imo, one day MAB will end up going crazy and doing something ridiculous. he knows wayyyy too much about music(makes no sense i know) and he will not no what to do with all of his ideas running through his mind....basically, he will start to get repetitive and hit a mental block whenever he makes new songs. this wont be the first time this has happened to a musician. dont get me wrong, i love MAB. but everything he does sounds the same to me
btimm  
5 Jul 2011 20:59 | Quote
United States
@ 2112: Many opinions are based on erroneous information. Many are not. You can't really say that opinions are based on facts, because it isn't always true.
gshredder2112  
5 Jul 2011 21:11 | Quote
United States
@Btimm That is very true. Are your opions on yngwie based on this erroneous information,or facts? Or do you just dislike
him,cause thats fine too.

\M/(*-+)
gs2112
btimm  
5 Jul 2011 21:35 | Quote
United States
My opinion on Malmsteen is like every other opinion - it is not based on any facts whatsoever, it is simply what I think.
gshredder2112  
5 Jul 2011 21:45 | Quote
United States
I see,very interesting. So your opinion
is biased on personal preference. Not any facts
or stereotypes,just a basic humanly dislike.
Very well,i can respect that more than i can
someone Jumping on a "hate bandwagon",like alot of others.

\M/(*-+)
gs2112
tinyskateboard  
5 Jul 2011 22:30 | Quote
United States
Segovia, definitely Segovia...or Robert Johnson. Or David Lee Roth!
gshredder2112  
5 Jul 2011 22:43 | Quote
United States
DLR?
V3N0M3333  
5 Jul 2011 22:59 | Quote
United States
i cant believe no one said this

the most overrated guitarist of all time is.......

KIRK HAMMET!!!!!! he sucks nuts imo
gshredder2112  
5 Jul 2011 23:01 | Quote
United States
HAHA V3,Yes he does.
DarkRiff  
5 Jul 2011 23:17 | Quote
United States
Kirk Hammett is everyone's starter guitarist. Almost every kid that wants to play guitar loves Metallica. I know I picked up a guitar because of Hammett. That's right I PICKED UP GUITAR BECAUSE OF KIRK HAMMETT! I'm not afraid to say it. Particularly, "Fade to Black" made me want to pick up the Guitar. Kirk Hammett is a great guitarist. The solos on the Ride the Lightning CD are amazing. While he is somewhat overrated, There are many other guitarists that are far more overrated.

gshredder2112 says:

Opinions are often based off of facts.
You wouldnt be able to reach a conclusion or opinion without
knowing at least some facts about the topic.

If this is true then explain the republican party.

(sorry I had to throw that last bit in).
gshredder2112  
5 Jul 2011 23:27 | Quote
United States
Haha good one darkriff.
V3N0M3333  
5 Jul 2011 23:31 | Quote
United States
i will admit some of his solos are catchy(one, master of puppets, fade to black, some others) but when i started playing guitar i was absolutely uninspired by his material. i liked him when i was a guitar hero freak.
thatguitarguy  
6 Jul 2011 09:53 | Quote
United States
just to help darkriffs case, my first song book was the black album song book. enter sandman is a cool song to learn.
matt8675  
6 Jul 2011 13:11 | Quote
Australia
I liked Metallica for about a week, then I was bored.
tinyskateboard  
6 Jul 2011 13:23 | Quote
United States
gs2112: I'm just trying to be silly instead of just criticizing the thread topic itself. I don't really believe in this kind of discussion. I'm not saying people shouldn't have it, I'z just poking a little fun. I don't think of the arts as a competition, and I don't think most of us hold too much faith in some guitar magazine's top 10 list of best guitarists ever.

Andres Segovia and Robert Johnson don't get hyped up by media, so they are under the radar. Are they Overrated? Probably not. Underrated? Probably not. Neither is part of the Jocks of Rock so they don't get rated. Without a rating you can't be mis-rated. I actually had no idea if Roth could play guitar. Till I just looked him up.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBVM4mrBeCs . Apparently he played acoustic melody on Women and Children First! I didn't know that.

For example I think this Berserker dude is not underrated, maybe underexposed, but not underrated. Many of us rate him highly. He is proficient, and lyrical, and plays fast when desired, and has phrasing that is fun to listen to.
That's all I care about..do I like it?

So for me someone can't be overrated....because that would be a paradox. If you "rate" someone poorly or well then how could they be anything else? How do I rate Eddie Hazel? A 90 out of 100. That's exactly where I rate him, nobody else's opinion of him makes me like him more or less.

I get it, but I don't buy it.

perk1ns  
6 Jul 2011 13:23 | Quote
Saying that Kurt cobain is an overrated guiatrist is
wrong.Like emp said,he is not known for the guiatr playing
more for his songwriting.And i dont often hear people
say that "Man,kurt cobain.is the baddest GUITARIST 3VER!
i hear"he writes good songs" You could call an overrated
musician,but not guitarist,cause noone
rates him high.Furthermore,Id just like t say
again,thaaat,Santana is underrated..

This is exactly whats going through my mind. Kurt Cobain is actually one of the biggest influences in my music but not his guitar. I love nirvana but Kurt wasn't trying to do anything fancy on guitar and I doubt he wanted to be known for playing guitar.
That said I vote slash.
gshredder2112  
6 Jul 2011 13:41 | Quote
United States
I knew it was a joke tsb. Dlr played one song on guitar.And you make some good points.

\M/(*-+)
gs2112
tinyskateboard  
6 Jul 2011 21:51 | Quote
United States
That youtube link I posted shows he's (Roth) actually pretty good.
Empirism  
6 Jul 2011 23:02 | Quote
Finland
Lessons: 4

joedelbucohemond  
8 Jul 2011 13:16 | Quote
United States
I AGrEE SanTana SHould NOT BE ON HERe xD
1 2

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.