Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

Sore Index finger please help?

Technique
Reinhardt  
23 Aug 2010 05:20 | Quote
South Africa
I've just started playing with a pick recently, I usually play with fingers but want to start getting into some fast soloing stuff.
Checked out some youtube videos on how to hold a pick and most of them tell me to hold it like this = http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/board/img/5237_236240066_images.jpg

But my Index finger gets realy sore on the middle knuckle. . .
Reinhardt  
23 Aug 2010 05:21 | Quote
South Africa

the knucle that make the 90 degree bend
case211  
23 Aug 2010 06:30 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 2
Licks: 6
simplest answer: Don't hold it that way then! haha

seriously holding a pick, is very very different as far as comfort and style from person to person. I hold mine very unorthodox(middle and thumb). It is the most comfortable for me, and I get a very crisp attack while minimizing how much of the pick goes "through" the string. I also have an almost parallel attack with the strings when I play, which is a bonus for me :D

The picture you posted is a good way to hold the pick, but it isn't for everyone, so find what is comfortable for you.
Admiral  
23 Aug 2010 07:22 | Quote
Germany
Lessons: 1
Oh man, i had the same problem until recently i changed the way i hold my pick. I hold it the same way you do. I had the top of the pick only standing out only a very small bit. But especially when i started palm muting the part of skin on my index finger around my fingernail got worse and really hurt. So now i hold the pick a little bit more in the middle, you have to find your own kind of compromise. Now its better, only for pinch harmonics i quickly tend to slip down the pick to make it easier.
JazzMaverick  
23 Aug 2010 08:49 | Quote
United Kingdom
Lessons: 24
Licks: 37
Dude since you usually play the finger picking style you would be perfect for hybrid picking - I REALLY reccommend it to you as you are probably one of the few people who won't find this as difficult.

http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/lesson.php?id=145

@ Case, you is a weird mofo! I have never seen anyone hold a pick like that! hahaha :D

Admiral  
23 Aug 2010 09:06 | Quote
Germany
yeah case, that is a weird picking style!
I one saw a guy who held his pick with his thumb, index and middle finger - his hand looked like a lobster-hand (i dont know how they are called in english). That was pretty unususual, but he played really well. Its really up to how you feel comfortable with it
MoshZilla1016  
23 Aug 2010 10:14 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 4
Licks: 19
The way Case holds his pick would be cool for tapping. You could pick,tap with index & return to picking without missing a beat. When most of us would have to stash the pick somehow.
BodomBeachTerror  
23 Aug 2010 15:04 | Quote
Canada
Licks: 1
yeah when i hold a pick the "right" way, it slips every 3 seconds. so its really just what you're comfortable with. since you usually fingerpick i would recommend trying a thumbpick, that way you can pick with your thumb, and all of your fingers are free
Reinhardt  
23 Aug 2010 15:14 | Quote
South Africa
nah you just dont get the speed with a thumb pick, but I think ill just pull through it, my fingers are not used to a pick so ill give it a week or two.
nullnaught  
23 Aug 2010 15:21 | Quote
Learn Hybrid picking.
BodomBeachTerror  
23 Aug 2010 15:44 | Quote
Canada
Licks: 1
you say that now, but then you learn that Chris Broderick (from Megadeth) uses a thumbpick. then your mind is blown and you see the possibilities.
JazzMaverick  
23 Aug 2010 16:25 | Quote
United Kingdom
@ Admiral - That's just acoustic picking - the usual way the classical musicians hold their guitar pick :) It's because the pick is bigger - allowing to fingers and a thumb to give them more control.

@ BBT, thumb picks are WEIRD, I can't ever get used to those evil things.... -_-

Admiral  
23 Aug 2010 16:34 | Quote
Germany
@ jazz ah ok, i never knew that. Anyway it is pretty strange, i once tried it, i couldnt get used to it ^^
JazzMaverick  
23 Aug 2010 16:39 | Quote
United Kingdom
It was actually the way I first started playing guitar, then I went into college and knew only metal lovers so I changed my picking style to the usual metal way - then fell in love with Jazz and discovered the hybrid technique. >:D It is seriously the best and most practical way of playing.
macandkanga  
23 Aug 2010 19:12 | Quote
United States
I did this maybe 15 years ago. Go to your local guitar store and buy 1 of each type of pick and try them all. large, small, thick, thin, plastic, metal, whatever you can think of. Then, you can try them all. You will be amazed at what some picks can do for you! Not every pick or style is for everyone. It's all about what YOU like. I like Fender mediums of all kinds or materials. You can hold it more ways than a thumb pick.
case211  
24 Aug 2010 01:21 | Quote
United States
Licks: 6
haha guys, it's nice for exactly what Mosh said, IF I have to do something like it very quickly, it is awesome, but it looks really really weird lol

But also do what Mac said. It won't cost you a ton of pocket change and can really help you find what you like to use. I really really love using Fender heavy picks, and really can't play like myself when I use a medium and *le gasp* a light pick. They can all have a different effect on your picking(honestly, you might change from pick to pick with your attack and technique on certain things). So definitely go check out some different picks and find what suits you best.
macandkanga  
24 Aug 2010 12:49 | Quote
United States
Another thing to consider is to do things that make you work harder at getting better. Like, using heavier gauge strings and a thicker pick. If you use 8's and a thin pick, go to 9's and use a medium or go right up to 10's or 11's and a thick pick. I went to 11's and a thick pick for almost a year and got used to it. Then I was at a friends house and played his guitar with 10's using a medium pick and I shredded!

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.