Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

Summer songs with DJ Phipster

General Chat
Phip  
14 Jun 2010 16:33 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 1
Hey all you groovy cats and kittens out there in forum land this is DJ Phipster from KPHIP radio! I thought it might be fun to give you guys a little taste of history from the 60’s and top 40 radio. This will give you some idea of what was on the radio (good and not so good) from 1965 – 1969.
So each week during this summer I am going to select a song from each week of the summer months during those five years and hopefully you’ll hear something you’ve never heard before and possibly have a good laugh too! I’ll try to mix it up with #1 songs and possibly anything in the top 10 songs depending on what amuses me and what I can find on youtube.
Just some brief background. Most of what I heard on the radio back then was from top 40 radio stations around the country. Radio wasn’t quite as specific back then as it is today and so top 40 consisted of quite a mix of genre’s and styles. And just to give you a laugh I was 11 years old back in the summer of 1965.
I had to make a choice as to where I would get my data from so I chose WABC in New York because they were one of the top radio stations in the country and because they have an amazing website dedicated to their top 40 days (they are now talk radio I think).
They offer so much more than music surveys on their site so if you are interested you can check them out at http://www.musicradio77.com/
Ok so lets get cooking with the music………….
From the week of June 15, 1965, the #3 song was…

From the week of June 14 1966 the #2 song

And the #1 Song on this week in 1967

The #4 song for June 18 1968

And to wrap it up, the year 1969 for the week of June 17 the #1 song was…….

Enjoy! And I’ll see you next week unless of course you guys tell me to knock it off! 
DJ Phipster
EMB5490  
14 Jun 2010 17:11 | Quote
United States
Licks: 1
i love you phip :)

been searching for a live real tambourine man version for so long

groovy baby :)
deefa  
15 Jun 2010 06:09 | Quote
United Kingdom
One of my favourite 'summer' songs of the late sixties!

Birth of metal or was that sabbath a couple of years later?
EMB5490  
15 Jun 2010 07:30 | Quote
United States
or sabbath a couple years before!
deefa  
15 Jun 2010 10:03 | Quote
United Kingdom
@EMB

I've had to resort to discography's to sort this one out Elliot (seeing as the 'old farts memory ain't what it used to be)!
Both bands were formed in '68 but Zepp got 'Whole lot of love' into the charts in '69 whereas Sabbath hit the charts with 'Paranoid' in '70. I'm assuming that the release of these two songs to be the points when Zepp and Sabbath became famous as such. I'd certainly never heard of either bands 'till then.
DarkRiff  
15 Jun 2010 10:09 | Quote
United States
Licks: 2
@ Deefa

Yea, but it doesn't matter who "hit the Charts" first. Sabbath created metal with their debut album "Black Sabbath" with the song "Black Sabbath". which came out in 1968. Thus making them the 1st. It doesn't get any more metal than that. Also, the only thing Zeppelin contributed to metal was the high-pitched vocals, nothing else.
Ozzfan486  
15 Jun 2010 22:06 | Quote
United States
Actually, if we're talking hair metal, Zep contributed. Actually, most hair bands were just Zep wannabe's anyway.
coleman  
16 Jun 2010 00:46 | Quote
United States
except they sucked
deefa  
16 Jun 2010 06:33 | Quote
United Kingdom
Not being either an expert or enthusiast of metal, I bow to your greater experience!
Empirism  
16 Jun 2010 07:29 | Quote
Finland
Lessons: 4
I kind of agree with Darkriff, but... this is quite common discussion on specific music listeners. Here what I think of that...

Led Zeppelin could be stated as heavy metal, because it was way more heavier and harder than its time other bands were.

Though, heavy metal was evolved, and actually it was evolved by Black Sabbath, that is near what Heavy Metal that is at these days, because most of the metal bands have listened their Sabbath and that IS much heavier and harder than Led Zeppelin was.

Ofcourse like we have discussed of genres before and how "vast" and "deep" they are, we have subgenres etc, etc... its almost impossible to categorize bands or songs purely.

If you listen song Communication Breakdown, if its were done at these days, someone could easily categorize that song into metal music... but in that song also, its quite line drawn on water still... someone could categorize that into hard rock (like I do), because definitions imo dont describe both genres well.

My personal opinion is that, Led Zeppelin was metal of its own time, Time before Sabbath (though, I still hold on that Zeppelin is more Hard Rock). But Sabbath, in my opinions Made Metal as it should be, when categorizing metal, or better said.. Heavy Metal.

Empirism

... this is nothing to do with earlier discussions :D, just came to mind.
Empirism  
16 Jun 2010 12:25 | Quote
Finland
Naah, sorry for the double post, but again good ol Phipster made me look this summer new way... I had Strawberry fields in mind, but somehow I felt that I must share this Jewel,... and oh hell yeah I listen this kind of stuff also haha...

Cheeeeeers!
MoshZilla1016  
27 Jul 2010 17:01 | Quote
United States
Licks: 19
deefa says:
I've had to resort to discography's to sort this one out Elliot (seeing as the 'old farts memory ain't what it used to be)!
Both bands were formed in '68 but Zepp got 'Whole lot of love' into the charts in '69 whereas Sabbath hit the charts with 'Paranoid' in '70. I'm assuming that the release of these two songs to be the points when Zepp and Sabbath became famous as such. I'd certainly never heard of either bands 'till then.
DarkRiff says:
Yea, but it doesn't matter who "hit the Charts" first. Sabbath created metal with their debut album "Black Sabbath" with the song "Black Sabbath". which came out in 1968. Thus making them the 1st. It doesn't get any more metal than that. Also, the only thing Zeppelin contributed to metal was the high-pitched vocals, nothing else.

(Quote Wikipedia)...Blue Cheer were an American psychedelic blues-rock band that initially performed and recorded in the late 1960s and early 1970s, and were sporadically active from that point on until 2009. Based in San Francisco, Blue Cheer played in a psychedelic blues-rock style, and are also credited as being pioneers of heavy metal (their cover of "Summertime Blues" is sometimes cited as the first in the genre[2]), punk rock[3], stoner rock[4][5], doom metal[5][6], experimental rock[7], and grunge[8]. According to Tim Hills in his book, The Many Lives of the Crystal Ballroom,[9] "Blue Cheer was the epitome of San Francisco psychedelia. The band is named after a street brand of LSD and promoted by renowned LSD chemist and former Grateful Dead patron, Owsley Stanley."[citation needed] Jim Morrison of The Doors called the group, "The single most powerful band I've ever seen."[10]Blue Cheer came together in 1966. (Unquote)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9W8jcDS2It0

SOMEBODY, ANYBODY TELL ME HOW TO POST VIDEOS INSTEAD OF LINKS!!!

Oh by the way the song Summertime Blues was one of the MELLOW songs from there first album.
EMB5490  
27 Jul 2010 18:21 | Quote
United States

post the embeded
MoshZilla1016  
27 Jul 2010 18:38 | Quote
United States
@EMB Thanks!!!

like that.. This is another old one when music was just starting to get heavy 1968
macandkanga  
27 Jul 2010 18:44 | Quote
United States
Uh oh. I see an argument over who the first metal band was! I'm still gonna stay Sabbath. Blue Cheer was heavy and psychedelic but not metal as we know it today. The song Black Sabbath defines metal as we know metal today. I've searched and listened and searched and listened some more and I just cant find anything as dark and heavy with distorted guitar and scary lyrics that pre-dates Sabbath.
MoshZilla1016  
27 Jul 2010 18:59 | Quote
United States
@ macandkanga
Not at all on my part man. I agree that sabbath made metal what is is, I was there. I just wanted to pass on some history that younger people may not know. After all this is Phip's Radio show.:)
macandkanga  
27 Jul 2010 19:47 | Quote
United States
@moshzilla
Yeah man youre right. I really dont want to start anything on the phipsters radio show! But yeah, we're the same age. I was 7 when my older brother got their first album and I wouldnt listen to it! It scared the sh*t outta me!

Black Sabbath
What is this that stands before me?
Figure in black which points at me
Turn around quick, and start to run
Find out I'm the chosen one - Oh no!

Big black shape with eyes of fire
Telling people their desire
Satan's sitting there, he's smiling
Watch those flames get higher and higher
Oh no, no, please God help me!

Child cries out for his mother
Mother's screaming in the fire
Satan points at me again
Opens the door to push me in
Oh No!

This is the end my friend
Satan's coming 'round the bend
people running 'cause they're scared
You people better go and beware!
No! No! Please! No!

EMB5490  
27 Jul 2010 20:10 | Quote
United States
mosh great posts! didnt know them, specially the 2nd one.
MoshZilla1016  
27 Jul 2010 20:46 | Quote
United States
macandkanga says:
I was 7 when my older brother got their first album and I wouldnt listen to it! It scared the sh*t outta me!

Same here with the older brothers record and I would not listen to this with the lights off.
JazzMaverick  
28 Jul 2010 07:31 | Quote
United Kingdom
Lessons: 24
Licks: 37
This is amazing Phip! I love it! :D Thanks for sharing these videos, now I'm going back in time and getting the J out to relax and feel the freedom!

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.