Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

Tips to Increase left hand speed?

Technique
Reinhardt  
9 Mar 2010 23:51 | Quote
South Africa
Any tips or advice would be much appreciate to increase speed and accuracy on the left hand?
-I have one tip when I sit in the office is to take my 3 side ruler and play a chromatic scale on one side(string) repeatedly and find that it helps? - and you must also learn how to play economicly by limiting all left hand movements closest to the strings, even that stubborn pinky
Any tips like this would be much appreciated thanks!
Reinhardt
espltd18201  
10 Mar 2010 00:16 | Quote
United States
Legato incorporation,scale runs,sweeping, over and over and over and over again.
Admiral  
10 Mar 2010 02:30 | Quote
Germany
Lessons: 1
Well, what's always helped me is to:

1. Use a metronome!:
One method with playing with a metronome is to simply gradually increase the maximum speed. But remember, first learn how to play it without mistakes at one speed, then move on. Dont rush ahead playing something slobby.
THe other one, which i sometimes quite like, is to play it at a good pace (at which is still can play it without mistakes) then, jump a few beats ahead to a level, where you find it hard to play it right, then go back to the start. (I quite like that method)

2. as we know from physics: Speed = Distance / Time
So try to keep your fingers (especially the pinky) as close to the fretboard as possible.

3. Try to think ahead and get finger independence. Especially when you play scales, your fingers which are not in use should get into position, if not already lie on the fret on which you are going to play the next, or the note after that,so you get a fluent pace.

4. Take fast pieces, slow them down and practice them with a metronome. Also try to use weird and unusual finger movements to get your fingers used to strange movements.

5. For accuracy ( because i usually play rock) i put my amp on clean, and then do runs which i record. I listen to the runs on my laptop and then i eliminate my mistakes. Recording yourself is also a good way of working on your skills. The first time i recorded myself i realised that i am horribly inaccurate.
(Minimise your right hand pick movement)

When it gets to sweeping i would suggest you first try to master 2 or 3 string sweeping, if you can do them, you can also do the bigger runs easily.

Using the metronome is really the essence. And besides that:
Practice, practice, practice, practice some more, practice and don't forget to practice ^^

I hope this helped a bit.

~Admiral~
vincejonesiii  
10 Mar 2010 08:13 | Quote
United States
Licks: 1
yah dude use a metronome BUT ... i started with 3 string sweeps ... right now im workin on 5 stringers but my goal is 6 string sweeps cus they are epic but what i do to improve speed is just repetition ... its all about muscle training and getting that action in your fingers/hand down to the micro second ... and when your shredding you dont want to stop ... EVER ... but yah you have to stop sometime ....

carpletunnel is bad for you man....
espltd18201  
10 Mar 2010 10:25 | Quote
United States
vincejonesiii  
10 Mar 2010 10:32 | Quote
United States
not kidding dude my bro fell to pieces when he got it .. .no more gaming for him.. :(
Reinhardt  
11 Mar 2010 00:13 | Quote
South Africa
Did he get it from to much shredding? :P how bad is it for you? and how old is he?
Thanks for the tips by the way.
vincejonesiii  
11 Mar 2010 07:26 | Quote
United States
no he got it from too much gaming.. thats all he does is game...

even avoids is GF to do it...hes a moron i my book any way

i dont have it at all cus i mediate my guitar time .. which usually untill my wrists hurt alittle :D

and hes like 15 me thinks
harleyofdoom  
12 Mar 2010 13:29 | Quote
United States
if your doing lots of sliding around on strings Fret Fast helps to reduce friction between the string and your finger tips. it might just be a placebo and its not really gonna improve the speed you play scales but it feels nice
macandkanga  
16 Mar 2010 15:33 | Quote
United States
Dont think of it as improving right or left hand but both at the same time by doing the simplest of things sloooooow and gradually increasing speed using a metronome.
Reinhardt  
17 Mar 2010 04:37 | Quote
South Africa
By using a metronome for speed do you pick a note on each beep when going through scales? or more notes per beep? I need to figure this out stil :P
JazzMaverick  
17 Mar 2010 07:38 | Quote
United Kingdom
Lessons: 24
Licks: 37
Well that's up to you, but a metronome indicates the strong notes of that time signature. So there's plenty of chances to play inbetween them, it's just a matter of playing it on time. :)
vincejonesiii  
17 Mar 2010 07:57 | Quote
United States
:D... i like playin REALLLY fast :D
gx1327  
17 Mar 2010 08:27 | Quote
United States
Admiral says:
2. as we know from physics: Speed = Distance / Time
So try to keep your fingers (especially the pinky) as close to the fretboard as possible.

by that math, if your fingers are farther from the fretboard they will be going faster in the same amount of time...!
Schecter_player  
17 Mar 2010 15:17 | Quote
Canada
True, but it doesn't matter how fast your fingers are moving (to an extent), what he really wants is to decrease the amount of time between each note he plays. thus...

Time = Distance/Speed

Smaller distance equals less time with constant speed.

Take that!
JazzMaverick  
17 Mar 2010 18:25 | Quote
United Kingdom
You know... it might just be down to that thing called practice. Maybe... :P
Reinhardt  
18 Mar 2010 00:17 | Quote
South Africa
But practice efficiently is better jazzy ;D
JazzMaverick  
18 Mar 2010 05:28 | Quote
United Kingdom
hahaha XD
Admiral  
21 Mar 2010 05:54 | Quote
Germany
Lessons: 1
Oh yeah, sorry, I mixed that formula up. thanks for the correction Schecter_player.

Anyway, speed is mostly up to the subconscious mind, so it is a thing of practice
Guitarslinger124  
21 Mar 2010 05:58 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 12
Licks: 42
Check it out man Click Here
vincejonesiii  
25 Mar 2010 11:38 | Quote
United States
DUDE make sure your articulation of the notes is really good cus you can increase speed if articulation is good ..

articulation-the "action" or power

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.