Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

What's the best kind of strings for an acoustic guitar?

Instruments and Gear
BrandiQuiksilver  
9 Jan 2012 15:05 | Quote
United States
what type of strings are best for acoustic guitar? how much would you pay for strings? how would you tune it right?
nullnaught  
9 Jan 2012 16:59 | Quote
I like nylon strings for my acoustic. I paid around 9 dollars for them. you can tune to this
BodomBeachTerror  
9 Jan 2012 19:43 | Quote
Canada
Lessons: 2
Licks: 1
I like the Martin acoustic guitar strings
btimm  
9 Jan 2012 20:32 | Quote
United States
Licks: 1
BodomBeachTerror says:
CoI like the Martin acoustic guitar strings

That's what I use too. $6 or whatever and they sound nice enough to me.
V3N0M3333  
10 Jan 2012 10:30 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 1
Licks: 15
Elixer polyweb
JustJeff  
10 Jan 2012 11:36 | Quote
United States
D'Addario PB Lights
nullnaught  
10 Jan 2012 16:03 | Quote
You actually got two kinds, steel string or nylon. Then you have brand names to choose from.

Unless there's something I'm over looking.
Domigan_Lefty  
10 Jan 2012 17:21 | Quote
United States
Dont forget string gauge ^^^

Lighter (Thinner) Strings will be easier to compress and bend, and give a brighter, but less full sound.
Heavier (Thicker) Strings are harder to compress or bend, but give a deeper, fuller sound
tinyskateboard  
11 Jan 2012 15:49 | Quote
United States
nullnaught says:
You actually got two kinds, steel string or nylon.

Nylon stings are for classical guitars and Steel are for Folk guitars. If you incease the width of the slots in the nut of your steel guitar you could use nylon strings on it.

Conversely, the tension of steel strings on the classical guitar should be avoided.

While I totally like the idea of using any strings you want, if you have a nice nylon string guitar, I wouldn't risk wrecking it with steel strings.

JustJeff  
11 Jan 2012 16:31 | Quote
United States
tinyskateboard says:
While I totally like the idea of using any strings you want, if you have a nice nylon string guitar, I wouldn't risk wrecking it with steel strings.

As well, I wouldn't risk wrecking a nice acoustic guitar with nylon strings. The lack of tension may warp the neck if not setup correctly.

I would also suggest making sure you set up correctly if you change the gauge on your strings, as the change in tension can have a negative effect on your guitar.
telecrater  
11 Jan 2012 18:35 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 8
BrandiQuiksilver says:
what type of strings are best for acoustic guitar? how much would you pay for strings? how would you tune it right?

So it's really going to depend on if your guitar is a classical guitar or steel string acoustic.

I don't think nylon strings have a ball on the end so I don't see how you can convert a steal string into nylon string.

Most decent acoustic guitars are going to work fine with string gauges 9-12 with out any modifications.

If the guitars setup is good then I'd go with the higher gauge strings I feel they have my dynamics as well as volume. However they will be 'tighter'.

I'd hit up your local music store and find the a guitar player and ask for a recommendation.

I save my string wrappers so I remember what strings I like/don't like. My last set of acoustic strings were D'Addarop Acoustic Guitar Ligth EXP16 .012-.053. They are coated and had a great bright tone.

I've never really cared much for the guitar makers brand strings such as martin, fender, gibson etc.

I hope that helps

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.