Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

Supergroup?

Technique
gshredder2112  
14 Aug 2011 15:09 | Quote
United States
Licks: 3
Mustaine,hetfield,ulrich,and ellefson?

http://rocknewsdesk.com/world-news/hetfield-considers-mustaine-ulrich-ellefson-supergroup/2959/
Empirism  
14 Aug 2011 17:36 | Quote
Finland
Lessons: 4
I dont actually know what to think about this... well, surely it might get something cool to done, BUT!... they are not the same than they were younger... Lars...super? James maybe... well, lets see
MoshZilla1016  
14 Aug 2011 19:06 | Quote
United States
Licks: 19
IMO Mustaine/Ellefson would be taking three steps backwards if they formed a group. Metallica's latest stuff can't touch Endgame and I hear the new stuff will be better than Endgame.
DanielM  
15 Aug 2011 05:00 | Quote
United Kingdom
Lessons: 1
I don't think James and Lars will do it, remember why Newsted left? It was cause he wanted to do a side project and they wouldn't let him.

@Mosh they say the new megadeth album will take influence from all their previous works though personally I'm hoping less risk more RiP.

On a side note thir13en is a terrible album name though hopefully it will still be a good album
Guitarslinger124  
15 Aug 2011 07:33 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 12
Licks: 42
'Ulrich' and 'super group' should not be in the same sentence. I know Btimm will disagree, but Ulrich is pretty subpar and is lucky to have such talented bandmates. That being said, I don't think anything good will come. There wouldn't be a really talented lead player in the group and I doubt if Ulrich could even come close to keeping up with Ellefson.
Afro_Raven  
15 Aug 2011 10:12 | Quote
United Kingdom
I disagree in one regard GS. When Ulrich first came onto the scene he worked very hard at being a 'good' drummer and he pushed himself technically. If you listen to anything from 'Justice' and before then, his drumming is really quite astonishing in some places. BUT, I think now they are such a huge band with a reputation firmly established, Ulrich doesn't want to/feel the need to push himself anymore and make himself stand out, which is why his beats have become increasingly generic and which disappear into the ether. If we were talking 80s Ulrich he'd get my vote, but as for Ulrich today, I'm with you GS - he's really not worth it!

Afro
btimm  
15 Aug 2011 11:43 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 2
Licks: 1
Yeah, I agree with Afro completely. My points before about Lars were simply that he doesn't get the credit he deserves anymore for what he brought to the table in the 80s and definitely helped mold the scene we know of today. He was a monster back then. I haven't listened to any Metallica post Reload, and ultimately I thought their reduction in music started with the Black album. I know many will disagree with me, but I feel the Black album is vastly overrated and inferior to their previous work. So I don't really know how Lars plays anymore, I know his work from Black - Reload isn't anywhere near what he did on Kill 'Em All - Justice. And I can't even comment on anything after Reload.
macandkanga  
15 Aug 2011 11:59 | Quote
United States
I agree with you btimm. I'm not a fan of anything past And Justice For All. Not just Lars but the whole band took a turn and they've never come back.

I would however be curious to hear what this supergroup could sound like. I would'nt call it a supergroup either for that matter. But I think this lineup could do something interesting and different.

A super metal group to me would be: Halford, Tom Araya, Mustaine, Marty Friedman. But idk. Metal guys get older and kinda lose it. Jazz guys seem to get better as they age.
gshredder2112  
15 Aug 2011 12:29 | Quote
United States
Licks: 3
Did anyone see that Guitar Hero Metallica commercial
A while back,were they said that Metallica's sound was
weenie without lars ulrich's Double bass drumming?
I just thought that applied to this situation.

*please find video,im too lazy.*

\M/(*-+)
gs2112
case211  
16 Aug 2011 01:28 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 2
Licks: 6
I think the album should be called "Master of Peace"

Or -- "Countdown to Kill Puppets in Peace"

...I really need to find something better to do with my time...
DanielM  
16 Aug 2011 04:00 | Quote
United Kingdom
what about pastor of muppets... or puppets are my business and business is good.

So anyone excited about the album lou reed and metallica are doing together? Because I for one am curious.
macandkanga  
16 Aug 2011 10:24 | Quote
United States
Pastor of Muppets is good!

Or if the album is'nt any good:

The Thing That Should Not Be
Guitarslinger124  
16 Aug 2011 15:30 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 12
Licks: 42
Afro_Raven says:
I disagree in one regard GS. When Ulrich first came onto the scene he worked very hard at being a 'good' drummer and he pushed himself technically. If you listen to anything from 'Justice' and before then, his drumming is really quite astonishing in some places. BUT, I think now they are such a huge band with a reputation firmly established, Ulrich doesn't want to/feel the need to push himself anymore and make himself stand out, which is why his beats have become increasingly generic and which disappear into the ether. If we were talking 80s Ulrich he'd get my vote, but as for Ulrich today, I'm with you GS - he's really not worth it!

Afro

I would tend to agree with you here. Based on the few interviews I've watched with Lars, I wouldn't put it past him to get lazy like that.

In the end, I agree with Mosh. The Mustaine/Ellefson tandem was/is and always will be, one of the most powerful, influential and talented duos in all of metal. In short, they can do better. Not saying Hetfield is bad, I think he is an awesome rythm guy and briliant composer, but like the past, Mustaine and Hetfield wouldn't fit well. In fact, as time has proven Dave Mustaine doesn't really fit with anybody but himself and sometimes Ellefson hehe.

I don't think you can put two people as musically brilliant and independant as Mustaine and Hetfield in the same band.

MoshZilla1016  
16 Aug 2011 16:22 | Quote
United States
Licks: 19
I read (Guitar World??) interview with Dave and he said on the new album he was gonna focus more on rhythm/vocals. He is letting Chris Broderick handle the leads. Sounds like he found a guitar player he likes.

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.