Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

Nirvana....

Music and Bands
EMB5490  
6 Jun 2010 14:40 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 1
Licks: 1
Nirvana... so im talking with some of my friends in class... we got a corner of the room to talk about *** haha anyway were talking about bands and my friend in front of me goes i love nirvana... and i not really knowing their stuff goes im not crazy about it (i dont like smells like teen spiript) but idk their songs...so he goes OMG i love them... so i figured id check out the hype you know... i always get so many people saying how good they are and how kurt cobaine is amazing... then i found this.

WHAT CRACK ARE YOU ON???

lets ignore the off pitch singing for now, the song is acctually hard to sing.

lets focus at the guitar... WTF just listen. sounds like a beginner.

i dont mean to rip on them and their music definatly isnt my style, but how can you say kurt cobain is good? ive even heard the best before... how? thats like saying spam is good...

anyway im kinda curious why so turn me onto a good song/solo by kurt cobain... im curious to see the rage... or is this his "godlyness?" because frankly its just terrible... i mean even if he was drunk and stoned its terrible... ive played stoned and i play better then that... jimmy page was on cocaine or heroine i believe most of the '76 tour with zeppelin. he sounded bad... but nothing like that...

so...show me some good stuff by him...
BodomBeachTerror  
6 Jun 2010 14:48 | Quote
Canada
Lessons: 2
I totally agree with you on this subject, but here's a video that i thought was pretty good

Admiral  
6 Jun 2010 14:53 | Quote
Germany
Finally someone mentions this! I thought I was the only one out there not particularly liking them! haha
Sadly, i can't watch the video in my country. But I know, Cobain was a horrible player. I never really liked his songs. The only song i found was kinda ok is "come as you are" also a really simple song.
My old guitar teacher (he was a great player) also loved Nirvana. And I asked him why. And he said, that the way they play and sing just perfectly fit into this kind of grunge genre they play. They were in his opinion just perfect in bringing over the message they wanted to. But that was the only kind of reasonable explanation I got on this topic.
What I think is a major reason for their success is that Kurt Cobain understood that a rockstar is worth more dead than alive (Hendrix, RR, Elvis...) So that could be a reason.

but I'm 100 percent with you there EMB. I never liked Nirvana
EMB5490  
6 Jun 2010 14:57 | Quote
United States
i wasnt alive then (born in 94) but did nirvana gain popularity after his death?

bodom:i acctually saw that video... in a different language... haha so its nice to see it in english

that wasnt even he song though... it was a cover... he does have a decent voice just is off pitch in the first video... still
michaelcollins  
6 Jun 2010 15:19 | Quote
United States
he just didnt care and he liked the imperfections
GuitarGeorge  
6 Jun 2010 15:26 | Quote
Licks: 3
Music is about feelings, not about instrumental skills. Nirvana really emit feelings.
EMB5490  
6 Jun 2010 15:28 | Quote
United States
but its not just imperfections its ligit terrible noise playing... listen to the solo... its one thing to play with feeling or not to care about mistakes and its another to just play like that. no feeling or anything
btimm  
6 Jun 2010 15:34 | Quote
United States
I have a couple of things really to say about this topic. First and foremost, Nirvana was legit. Now to say they were phenomenal musicians or anything is about the overstatement of the century. But to say they made * music is flat out wrong. There is a big difference. I think of Green Day in much the same way. Their songs are meh as far as the theory behind them and the skill level required to make them, but that does not mean it isn't good music, catch my drift? It very much was an era thing. I grew up in this time period and listened to Nirvana quite a bit and enjoyed their music. That being said, I'd also say that the majority of rock music these days still isn't as good as Nirvana, but I think most people say that about a time period when they were growin gup. Not all, but most. You'd be hard pressed to find someone who is about 45 or so that won't say the 70s was the best. 55 or so will say the 60. I, 29, say the early 90s.

Now I will also say they weren't even close ot the other "seattle" bands. Holy crap. I was literally pissed when I saw a battle of the bands the week Staley died and 2 of the 6 bands performed TLC covers because Left Eye or whatever the F her name was, also died. Not one person even mentioned Staley. I was crushed at the lack of acknowledgement he received. Now I know Cantrell was really the AiC mastermind, but ffs people! And my personal favorite band from then was Soundgarden. Being a drummer as well as [aspiring] guitarist, I could appreciate their music. It was dark, which I liked, but also the creativity involved in Matt Cameron;s playing was amazing to me. And I loved that their music was all original and sounded nothing like what other people were doing. And then even with the simpler bands, I always thought Screaming Trees was way better than Nirvana as well.

So I guess I am both defending and attacking Nirvana at the same time. *shurgs*

/end rant
btimm  
6 Jun 2010 15:34 | Quote
United States
sorry if that was a tl;dr
Ozzfan486  
6 Jun 2010 15:35 | Quote
United States
People are into the recorded stuff I'd say. I never liked their live stuff either except for the unplugged things (the vid Bodom posted was from MTV Unplugged, probably my favorite show of theirs). Anyway, he sings about some really personal things, and a lot of people relate to it. As for it sounding like he's a beginner, from what I heard, he basically was. The recorded stuff never gets too technical at all. But, some of the songs are good. As for singing, it's just a style to me. He could probably do better, but that's what he's comfortable. Layne Staley was the same way, in a sense. It takes a little getting used to.

My personal favorite Nirvana tune -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=he--OCRD5ME&feature=related

Two cents,
Ozz

EMB5490  
6 Jun 2010 15:37 | Quote
United States
what are some good album songs then? what is the proof that people say that kurt cobaine is so good? his solo (if you can call it that) in slts is literally the vocal melody
Admiral  
6 Jun 2010 15:38 | Quote
Germany
I guess you can't say anything against Dave Grohl
EMB5490  
6 Jun 2010 15:43 | Quote
United States
no hes a good drummer he is... im not crazy about foo fighters neither but he is a good drummer... no where near my list of bests but still
Ozzfan486  
6 Jun 2010 15:44 | Quote
United States
Songs? Well, Teen Spirit, Come As You Are, All Apologies, Heart-Shaped Box, Lake Of Fire, Plateau, Where Did You Sleep Last Night? (what BBT posted), and many more. That should get you started though.

It's not technically advanced, as Kurt took very little lessons, and mostly just came up with stuff himself, so don't expect technicality. Personally, I'm not a HUGE fan, but I do listen to it once in a while when I'm in the mood.

EMB5490  
6 Jun 2010 15:47 | Quote
United States
well ill check those out thanks... i really at least try to give bands a chance before i say i dont like them... like dave matthews... i think i heard one song when my friend say u like him? im like well idk i dont really like this one song i heard but honestly i dont know any of his stuff... and she showed me it and now i have 3 albums...
BodomBeachTerror  
6 Jun 2010 15:49 | Quote
Canada
yeah i dont think theres a single band that i really loved the first time i heard it
EMB5490  
6 Jun 2010 15:52 | Quote
United States
BodomBeachTerror says:
yeah i dont think theres a single band that i really loved the first time i heard it

not me!

grateful dead
pink floyd
skynyrd
ozzy(hearing this was like hearning nothing else... its like where were you all my life????)
black sabbath
boston
crosby stills and nash
simon and garfunkle (i think i cryed the first time i heard the sound of silence
the who

just to name a bunch :)
telecrater  
6 Jun 2010 17:49 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 8
You’re not “getting” the brilliance of nirvana and it’s ok because a lot of people don’t. If you looking for high brow overly talented and technical musicianship look elsewhere, you will not find it with Nirvana.

However if you’re looking for a lesson on self-expression, welcome my friend.

What was brilliant about Nirvana was there was a combination of punk and pop fused together in simple song and backed by pure self-expression. If you look at music as art then Nirvana was Picasso and Warhol.

Look some guys/gals are completely content knowing a dozen chords and make a career out of playing 4 chord songs. Others are not happy with that they want to be able to play at a highly technical level.
I have to admit that Nirvana pretty much sucked live.

Nirvana had a huge impact on my early music inspiration and had they not been there, then I would have quit playing guitar long ago.

Have you heard tori amos's version of Smells like...

Now Listen to her opinion of the song

It's funny this comes up becuase i was working on my own version of "smells like teen spirt"
EMB5490  
6 Jun 2010 18:00 | Quote
United States
nah im acctually not into overly techincal like petrucci vai satriani... im a dead head. i cant stand people like that...

but i also cant stand his playing uk

they did suck live? ill check out the albums then... im just saying its kind of sad their preformance there... i cant stand even michael shenker or those 80s guys like him... i love randy rhoads because hes a mix of both without having evertyhing perfect but still idk if i can get into kurt cobaine
Ozzfan486  
6 Jun 2010 18:07 | Quote
United States
You can, if you just listen to the music the you want, and interpret it how you want. If you listen to all the "OMGGGG NIRVANA IS THE BESTEST BAND EVERRR" fanboy and girls you'll look at it as such. From the interviews though, I highly, HIGHLY doubt Kurt wanted it like that. Like Tele said, it was very expressive, as Kurt had a lot of problems. I mean, I'm not trying to speak for him, but if you listen to these songs, it's pretty obvious.
btimm  
6 Jun 2010 18:45 | Quote
United States
I think the point here is to not disrespect the music of others. You may or may not like it, but to say you can't stand it or that it's bad is pretty insulting and degrading. There are many forms of music that aren't my cup of tea, but I don't disrespect what the groups are trying to accomlish.
telecrater  
6 Jun 2010 18:53 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 8
EMB5490 says:
they did suck live? ill check out the albums then

I'd get the unplugged album you would probably like that the best, then nevermind and in utero then after that incesticide and bleach.
EMB5490  
6 Jun 2010 19:02 | Quote
United States
i see...
z849763  
6 Jun 2010 19:47 | Quote
Philippines
I like nirvana especially "In Utero" album. c",
macandkanga  
7 Jun 2010 11:25 | Quote
United States
Nirvana was a great band with talented musicians, great song writting, stage performance, and so on. To say otherwise just means you don't like them and that's ok. We don't have to love everybody but as musicians it's in our best interest to at least recognize and have respect for bands for what they accomplish.

I'm not a big Bruce Springsteen or U2 fan for example. I just don't get all the hype. However, they are talented musicians and writers and they deserve much respect.
tinyskateboard  
7 Jun 2010 14:58 | Quote
United States
I saw Nirvana open for Sonic Youth and they were terrible. A bit later I heard Territorial Pissings off Nevermind and I really liked hearing a cleanly produced version of a lot of the post punk I was into. Much more a studio band I think. It was also kind of fun for this inept screamy music to be in the public eye. Good lyrics methinks.

I do not think Nirvava became more popular after Cobain died.

I just saw the video EMB, all the guitar solos are ironic in that version. I think they were bored of playing that song pretty quickly and he was making a mockery of himself. He seemed pretty moody.
EMB5490  
7 Jun 2010 16:26 | Quote
United States
oh i see... so he basically played like ** on purpose? id just not play the song but i understand..
tinyskateboard  
8 Jun 2010 11:25 | Quote
United States
The dude killed himself. He probably had some pretty weird perspectives on things.
Mici  
8 Jun 2010 11:55 | Quote
Kosovo
"I'm worse at what I do best
And for this gift I feel blessed.
Our little group has always been
And always will until the end."

Kurt Cobain (Smells Like Teen Spirit)

That can give you a good idea on what it was all about.

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.