Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

Whats wrong with bassists? aka. you cant spell bassist without ass

General Chat
harleyofdoom  
13 May 2010 13:12 | Quote
United States
Ok far be it from me to make broad sweeping generalizations and i dont mean to offend but Im trying to get a new band together (last band split up caus the bassist was lazy and bi-polar). all the bass players I meet seem to be either flaky and unreliable or egotistical and too heavy on the volume knobs. my question is does playing bass turn you into an ** or are ** attracted to playing bass? chicken or the egg type thing?

that said Im not about to give up so do any of you know a good bassist in New York? i just want to make some music and have fun doing it.
BodomBeachTerror  
13 May 2010 13:34 | Quote
Canada
Lessons: 2
Licks: 1
well, i think the majority of mankind are douche's soo, youre bound to run into a good handful of them
Guitarslinger124  
13 May 2010 13:35 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 12
Licks: 42
Well, most bass players, in my experience, are used to playing alone. Not only that, but there is a certain level of ego/confidence that a bass player needs, especially in rock music, because to most listeners, the bass is something that sounds better when you can't hear it but know it is there.

And if you are not playing rock, then you are more than likely playing a genre such as Jazz or Funk, which would require a greater skill level from the bass player, other than being capable of shredding on his/her instrument. If that is the case, than you should cater toward his/her abilities.

Also, if you aren't used to playing with a band, or if you feel that you started the band, thus you have control, you will most of the time, place a lot of stress on the other members. If you feel the need to be the leader of your band, then your number one requirement for band members should be that they understand that you are the boss. If you just want to form a band and consider it equal opportunity, act like it. Share your responsibilities.

I have been in enough bands to know a few things. Here are some things I kept in mind:

- No matter how mature, or experienced your band members are, there is an ego that comes with being a musician. Every musician has it, even if they wont admit it.

- Sometimes you may have to sacrifice a more skilled musician for a more compatible musician.

- Get to know your band members, but remember that everyone needs personal space.

Hope that helped you a bit.

Rock on!
JazzMaverick  
13 May 2010 14:56 | Quote
United Kingdom
Lessons: 24
Licks: 37
Ahhh man I've had to deal with soooo many frustrating bass players... personally I hate the majority of the modern bassists because they think they're the sh!t and that they're the most important part of the damn band.

There's only one decent bassist I know, and he's actually touring with a band, so I'm glad he's doing well.

My post was completely opinionated and perhaps uninteresting, buuuut felt like saying anyway :)
Empirism  
13 May 2010 15:05 | Quote
Finland
Lessons: 4
Strange, I never had problems with bassists. But I agree with GS.
Ozzfan486  
13 May 2010 15:09 | Quote
United States
I've seen this. The one I came closest to working with in MY band though is just a puss. Wants to be in the band, but doesn't want to do anything, wants to get congratulated after a show, but is scared to play a show. That kind of thing.
harleyofdoom  
13 May 2010 15:24 | Quote
United States
Valid point there BB,terror

guitar slinger,

maybe i am too picky, i just want some people who are stylistically flexible and shows up to practice. really don't want to be the 'band leader' id love to have a band that worked more like an open forum for musical ideas. am i striving for a nonexistent ideal?

as for skill level i would settle for novice musicians with determination to develop but i keep finding people who are infatuated with playing like this band or that artist (its good to have a role model but surely you need to find your own style)

back to BB terrors point... maybe im the douche for expecting to much
Guitarslinger124  
13 May 2010 19:36 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 12
Licks: 42
harleyofdoom says:
maybe i am too picky, i just want some people who are stylistically flexible and shows up to practice. really don't want to be the 'band leader' id love to have a band that worked more like an open forum for musical ideas. am i striving for a nonexistent ideal?

If I saw that on a flier I would think you wanted to jam. Maybe that is what you really want. Maybe that is what you need. I don't think you are striving for the "nonexistent". You just need to find the right mix of people. I've found that it is hard to find a good group of guys in a small radius. Try to broaden your distance. Are you willing to travel an hour or so to meet up with other members? Try hanging out at smaller schools or a community college and hook up with people in the music program. That is how my dad formed his Jazz group.

Rock on!
EMB5490  
13 May 2010 19:40 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 1
the bassist i originally played with thought he was the best thing since sliced bread. no question he was very good but he thought he was the best. he acctually said it. i told him that i was really mad at him for being arrogant enough not to learn the songs because the songs we covered were too simple and he responds with "well im the best bassist in the school" and i say ok... and walk away. very good, extremely cocky and arrogant, however the bassist i play with now is so much better and much better of a person.
CacophonyJackson  
13 May 2010 22:20 | Quote
United States
My bassist is awesome. He can play damn near anything, he's fine with knowing his role and his volume is always perfect for everyone. He's kind of your typical quiet, modest guy bassist, but he still writes sick lines and rarely makes mistakes. Doubt this helps but there are quality bassists out there. He's got an absolutely beautiful girlfriend too.
telecrater  
13 May 2010 22:25 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 8
harleyofdoom says:
Ok far be it from me to make broad sweeping generalizations and i dont mean to offend but Im trying to get a new band together (last band split up caus the bassist was lazy and bi-polar). all the bass players I meet seem to be either flaky and unreliable or egotistical and too heavy on the volume knobs. my question is does playing bass turn you into an ** or are ** attracted to playing bass? chicken or the egg type thing?

that said Im not about to give up so do any of you know a good bassist in New York? i just want to make some music and have fun doing it.

I’ve spent years as a bass player in bands and I have to disagree completely. The problem I ran into were bung hole guitarist’s, singers and drummers going out of time and rhymed. The bass player is probably one of the most underappreciated members of the band. Drummer get to have lots of fills, and sometimes solo’s, guitar players always get the solo, singers are always out front, the bassist is back in the dark corner of the stage. As a bass player going out and “doing too much” as one singer once told me took a way from the song.

Look when you’re in a band y’all have to have one common goal and that should not be to play over the other fellers but to play and give the audience a good experience. I was really happy with my role as a bass player, only because I don’t like being the center of attention. But not everyone is like that.

This is life dood. You always going to have people who don’t pull there weight and you have to work around them.

Sorry if i sound grumpy, I'm tired over worked, underpaid and now starting night classes over the summer....

Empirism  
14 May 2010 00:11 | Quote
Finland
Lessons: 4
Yeah, but I thought is it actually only bassists that are cocky, dun show up practise and being a egoistic Dheads... well... it can be every other instrument player as well lol...

Ever heard the guitarist that put volume knob on level 11? ;D... or want to do some wicked licks and solos every break on the arrangement? Hope you get decent dude m8.
Bilbo  
14 May 2010 08:18 | Quote
United States
Yeah almost every musician no matter what they play will have some sort of ego problem, I've experienced plenty in my years...be it guitar, bassist, drummer, vocalist etc. But I agree with telecrater that bassists are underappreciated. If a guitarist makes a mistake, it can kinda be covered up especially if there are two, but if the bass makes one it really stands out, so they really have a lot on their shoulders.

Not that I'm condoning being an ass, no one needs to be that way, if you have a band it's a team effort and you're all in it together.

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.