Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

My amp broke down.

Instruments and Gear
Mici  
12 May 2010 15:26 | Quote
Kosovo
Hey guys.
I was playing something today and out of nowhere I hear some noise coming out of the amp. I first thought it was the cable so I made sure I had it plugged in right, played for 3-4 more seconds and no more sound.
Has something similar ever happened to any of you guys cause I have no idea what it could be. I opened the amp just in case it was something very obvious but I couldn't notice anything. Also, the LEDs work fine but I don't get any sound at all, not even the buzzing from touching the cable jack.

I have a Roland Cube 15X (solid state, obviously).
EMB5490  
12 May 2010 15:31 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 1
Licks: 1
only for the best! get a good amp now! haha...

nah idk whats wrong with it, maybe the input jack... id futz around but its not worth it getting it fixed... those things will just break... thats why i dont buy cheap crap uk? i hate when people say wow you rich *** with your marshall... i mean if they proabbly added up how many amps they had and broke down theyd buy a marshall... i have a friend with a 3 line 6's and like 8 cheap broken down guitars... it must be worth over 3k. but everything is worthless now so its honeslty a waste...

what im trying to say is if your serious about guitar and are good and gigging even buy good ****. dont **** around with cheap ****...

sorry to go on a rant i hate kids my age who think digital **** is great bc of the distortion and price and how many things it can do. no one goes for tone and durability and well made it seems...
BodomBeachTerror  
12 May 2010 15:37 | Quote
Canada
Lessons: 2
did the input jack fall inside it? that sometimes happens to my cube. other than that i wouldnt really have any idea
Phip  
12 May 2010 16:08 | Quote
United States
Geesh Elliott! You're no help at all.........LOL
Ok, Mici, You could have a blown fuse in there and from what i suspect a fuse is blown then you probably have a shorted output amp.
The output circuits are usually fused so take a look (unplug the unit) and see if there is more than one fuse in that thing. If it is a glass fuse you will be able to tell if it's blown. It will have a black spot on it. Meanwhile i'll see if I can find a schematic for it.
Meet ya back here later........
Phip
deadman2k666  
12 May 2010 16:41 | Quote
Canada
thats why i have a tube amp
EMB5490  
12 May 2010 16:51 | Quote
United States
deadman2k666 says:
thats why i have a tube amp

THANK YOU!

stop buying ****ty stuff and buy good stuff
Phip  
12 May 2010 17:03 | Quote
United States
Some of us don't always have the bread my young friend!
Let's help the guy, not make him feel bad about his stuff!
yikes!

P.S. Mici, I can't find a schematic for the amp yet. It has a low retail value so maybe that's why. Some makers are better than others about providing service literature. If you have a diagram let me know.
Man, that thing must be a real POS......I'M JOKING MICI I'M JOKING. I'll keep looking
Phip
BodomBeachTerror  
12 May 2010 17:14 | Quote
Canada
yeah, not everyone can afford a nice tube amp and 50 different pedals
Admiral  
12 May 2010 17:25 | Quote
Germany
@EMB: I like my line 6.
case211  
12 May 2010 17:31 | Quote
United States
Licks: 6
Yeah, tone is subjective. It really is. It can sound a little bit more digital than some would like, but it doesn't mean it's bad. I'm actually looking into buying a Line 6 Pod XT because it's better to jam with that at night than an 80 watt amp XD lol plus I've played one before, they do sound quite nice actually ;)
Phip  
12 May 2010 18:12 | Quote
United States
@ Mici,
I found a diagram for the Cube 20 but still no luck on the 15. The 20 has three fuses. one main fuse (which is prob good since your led's still light up. if your amp has the two other fuses like the cube 20 then perhaps one of them is blown. but remember, they usually blow for a reason, like a shorted output transistor.
Phip
JoshJones  
12 May 2010 19:43 | Quote
United States
I'd definitely check the fuse as Phip suggested. Good chance a power surge from the utilities hit and took out a fuse. Simple fix and cheap too.

As for EMB jeeze man, I had respect for you until this post. Personally I think Marshall's are absolutely terrible. And I love the sound out of my no-name Johnson amp. (Paid $200) I re-built it so on channel 1 it has a clean Fender Blues and with a second channel I installed it has a more bass almost like a Bassman.

Just because it is Fender, Marshall, Gibson, PRS, etc doesn't mean its all that great, especially on the internals.

I re-built Carl's Cube I'll see if I still have the schematics around to see what could cause a short in your amp Mici. If Phip can't help you out PM me and I'll see if I can't get you up and running again.
EMB5490  
12 May 2010 19:48 | Quote
United States
true, but constantly spending money on cheap gear isnt the way to go man... ik that i never even said marshall was good... how bout a blues jr? theyre like 300-500 i think... damn good amp. check it out...

i never said to go big brand name, i just hate when people spend tons of money on tons of cheap *** that keeps breaking down. dont buy another! buy somthing worth it!!
JoshJones  
12 May 2010 20:00 | Quote
United States
I actually went the Johnson because the inside circuitry kills the Blues Jr. I wanted hand-wired instead of PCB like Fender does.

Also, this gives Mici a chance to fix his amp and learn valuable knowledge. I know tons of kids who go buy "Marshalls" and when they break I get to charge them 50 bucks for changing their fuse because they don't have the balls to do it themselves.

I've made a fortune being an Amp Tech off of people who buy nice stuff, it breaks just as easily.

Phip, I can't find the 15X either, I may try emailing Roland tonight for it.
EMB5490  
12 May 2010 20:04 | Quote
United States
boutique? boutique amps do kill..
deadman2k666  
12 May 2010 20:11 | Quote
Canada
preventative maitinence is all thats needed. but i wasnt making any fun of his gear. I started out with total **, and worked my way up. Mind you i'm using a 1/2 vox amp right now, but im going to be investing in an AC15 very soon
Mici  
13 May 2010 07:37 | Quote
Kosovo
Oh F#$%. I just wrote a ten minute post and hit the wrong key on the keyboard. Here I go again...
I really didn't expect so many replies in such short time so thanks a million to all.

@BBT: Nah, the jack didn't fall inside or anything. The jack's probably alright but I'll have that one checked, too.

@Josh & Phip:
I carefully took out the one fuse I could see and took a look at it but from what you said it's probbly not broken, although at first I thought it was because the wire wasn't standing parallel to the glass and I thought that's the way it should be. I looked for other fuses but even if there were any in there, I wouldn't be able to see them because the circuit boards are aligned in a way that doesn't give you much view over them. Thanks a lot to you guys for taking the time and search for diagrams. I didn't think of that at all.

JoshJones says:
Also, this gives Mici a chance to fix his amp and learn valuable knowledge.

Coulnd't have said it better.

Do you think the speaker could be broken or does that just not happen very often?

@Elliot: If I had the money to buy it, a place to keep it, a guitar to plug into and a gig where I could use it, trust me, I'd buy a big ass amp. I don't think anybody would mind have one of them, it just takes a lot for that. I take care of my amp so I don't have to spend hundreds of Euros (or Dollars) for it, but sometimes they just brake down. Thanks, anyway.
EMB5490  
13 May 2010 08:00 | Quote
United States
i didnt mean a big ass amp, what i meant was if you cant fix it dont buy it again... upgrade
JoshJones  
13 May 2010 09:07 | Quote
United States
If at a first glance the fuse doesn't look blown than its not. It would be similar to the old filament bulbs where the wire inside actually breaks in half.

It could be that the speaker is blown, most decent speakers take a lot to actually blow one, but I've blown plenty screwing around with amps (especially playing with the bass response! :) ).

One test is to plug your cable into the input of the guitar amp and the other end of the cable to a 9V battery. DO NOT plug your amp into the wall when doing this!! Your speaker should pop a couple times if it is NOT blown.

You can also remove the speaker and rub your hands around the screen and feel for the voice coil. If there is a "weird" scraping then the cone is probably shot.

Try these and if this isn't it than I'll get Roland to send a schematic and I'll play with what could cause the death of the amp

JoshJones  
13 May 2010 09:08 | Quote
United States
Oh I just remembered something else, if you have access to the jack, take a piece of low grit sandpaper (less than 200 grit) and wrap it around a pencil. Take and roll it around inside your jack and just do some clean-up.

*This also works for the jack on the guitar, and can "in theory" improve sound quality*
Mici  
16 May 2010 11:29 | Quote
Kosovo
Today I had my uncle (electrical engineer) to take a look at it. We plugged it in to see what was actually wrong and out of nowhere... IT WORKS again. I don't know what the hell went wrong with it 5 days ago but today it works as good as new but still, THANKS A LOT for your help. I'm probably going to need this thread in the future 'cause I guess sooner or later mine or somebody's amp will brake down and you can never know too much about it.
telecrater  
16 May 2010 11:43 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 8
it sounds like may have a solder joint that has cracked or something like that. I had a friend that this happened to. It was a pretty easy fix if you got a magnifying glass and know how to solder .

ChicagoMedic  
16 May 2010 11:50 | Quote
United States
EMB5490 says:

nah idk whats wrong with it, maybe the input jack... id futz around but its not worth it getting it fixed... those things will just break... thats why i dont buy cheap crap uk? i hate when people say wow you rich *** with your marshall... i mean if they proabbly added up how many amps they had and broke down theyd buy a marshall... i have a friend with a 3 line 6's and like 8 cheap broken down guitars... it must be worth over 3k. but everything is worthless now so its honeslty a waste...

what im trying to say is if your serious about guitar and are good and gigging even buy good ****. dont **** around with cheap ****...

sorry to go on a rant i hate kids my age who think digital **** is great bc of the distortion and price and how many things it can do. no one goes for tone and durability and well made it seems...

LoL...said by the 16 year old.........................................................................................................................................

If you really like the amp go get it fixed or at least get a quote. IF ya can, save up your money for an entry level tube amp. Either way, the key is research...do a lot of it. You might be able to find something in your price range.

Be careful fuxking around in the back of an amp...don't electrocute yourself.
telecrater  
16 May 2010 18:07 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 8
ChicagoMedic says:
EMB5490 says:

LoL...said by the 16 year old.........................................................................................................................................

If you really like the amp go get it fixed or at least get a quote. IF ya can, save up your money for an entry level tube amp. Either way, the key is research...do a lot of it. You might be able to find something in your price range.

Be careful fuxking around in the back of an amp...don't electrocute yourself.

If i remember right....isn't EMB5490 always having his "good" tube amp breaking down?

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.