Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

What should I buy as my next Guitar?

Instruments and Gear
Damien  
9 Oct 2009 15:57 | Quote
United Kingdom
I am thinking of what Guitar to save up to buy.
I can't go to high in price, perhaps £350(I don't know what that is is dollars, but you might so...meh).
I was looking into a Squire Tele, there is a really nice one in my local Music store, I tried it out, and I fell in love with it, it was absolutely perfect, but there is another store close by that specializes in Ibanez, and they have really nice Ibanez models in there.
They also sometimes sell Epiphone Sg models and Lp models, which are really nice and some have custom artwork on them, and they're cheap!
The Ibanez are from 175ish to 475 ish, but the Floyd Rose models are higher up, I don't know if any are over my range, but I think they are.
So any suggestions on what to look at and consider buying are really helpful so if anyone has an Ibanez or Squier Tele or Epiphone, could you help me out?
Thank you for reading!
case211  
9 Oct 2009 16:06 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 2
Licks: 6
i had an Ibanez(new neck so I don't say it is all Ibanez anymore) and I loved the original neck on it. That was one of the most amazingly comfortable and fast necks I have ever played.
I can't really say for other ibanez guitars though, as I have only played mine(which is 1989).

The neck was similar to an SG's neck, relatively thin and fast. i loved it.
I sat down with a squier tele for a bit before and I loved the sound of it too.

Honestly whatever you think fits you the best. Just take into account of what you play, what you would like to be able to play like(genre) and if you need to have a Floyd Rose or any tremolo for that matter.

You may just find yourself looking at a nice Epi SG ;)

Damien  
9 Oct 2009 16:09 | Quote
United Kingdom
I love the look, feel and sound of a Telecaster
But the SG's they get in the shop are amazing, they look stunning
I guess I will wait for a while, then see when I have the money, I just wanna rough ideaof what I want first so I know how much I need.

The Ibanez in the shop are amazing as well, alot of them are custom and they look lush!
I might look into a Ibanez.
JoshJones  
9 Oct 2009 17:05 | Quote
United States
Are you looking at leaving it stock?? If so, the SG may be the route to go, especially if you are looking at the G-400 or something similar. I'm not too familiar with Ibanez, except with the Artcore which is a really nice hollow-body.

Being somewhat bias, I'd go the tele, it can get you sounds that are all over the place and Squiers are actually a really nice little guitar.
case211  
9 Oct 2009 20:33 | Quote
United States
Squiers, are the bang for the buck in Tele's and Strat's from what I've seen(I can't say for the other models, though i would expect the same). I love my Squier to death, if you set it up intonate it, adjust the truss if needed, it plays so extremely smooth. I squeeze so many different type of sounds out of it, I get a cleaner neck pup, a dirty abrasive bridge, that guitar can put out awesome tone for pretty decent price. I have the tremolo on mine blocked so it has a little bit more sustain than stock when I got it 6 years ago.
patleh  
9 Oct 2009 20:35 | Quote
United States
Licks: 1
whatever you like man they're all the same, just different prices and different fake opinions
J05H  
9 Oct 2009 21:22 | Quote
United States
n comment i dont understand foreign curancy
case211  
10 Oct 2009 00:06 | Quote
United States
In all honesty though, Squier=Fender, Epiphone=Gibson... I feel that after playing around on an Epi SG compared to the same thing but with Gibson on the head stock, there is such little difference in playability, sound(pickups can be changed) and finish that i would probably never buy a Gibson for $1700 and instead get the Epi for a fraction the price... just me though...
RA  
10 Oct 2009 01:12 | Quote
United States
you have never played a real Gibson I'm guessing? there is a huge difference. I'm not going into unless you want to, but at the same time i too would never pay that for a Gibson nor a fender. Due to there being mass-produce(all the issues that go with this like rushed, not best of parts, etc.), I want love and care at Gibson, fender(high end), others prices. and the is coming from a man with a 450 tele(i got it[really ~1000] on clearance, it's great being a Tele lover up north) who can't afford the nice things. fender has always been the working mans Guitar why any one would pay 4,000 for a electric flat-top bolt on is beyond me. but i still can't grasp all this vintage stuff so who knows
Damien  
10 Oct 2009 06:56 | Quote
United Kingdom
I will probably go down the Squier route, so it's between a Tele and a Strat.
I love Tele's so much, they are definately my favourite looking Guitars, and they feel really nice to play.
Strat's are lovely, my Brother has a Squire strat, and I have played a Squire Tele, so I can compare them, I personally love the Tele more, so I will probably get that.
It seems like the SG is a good choice, the SG's areound here are cheaper than the Tele, so I will definately check them out.
Thank you for the help Guys!
Heather  
10 Oct 2009 08:00 | Quote
United Kingdom
Licks: 2
Well I personally have always envied any guitarist with a Fender Strat or a Gibson Epiphone. I don't know how much they cost in US dollars so I won't bring any figures up, but they all seem to be beginner's choices anyway. I don't see why you couldn't afford any of them if you like either of them. I enjoy playing around with them anyway, they'd be my choice. I'm actually sort of in the same boat as you right now, I'm getting one for christmas. I'm thinking of a Epiphone SG myself, the price seems right and its just a good quality guitar.

Up to you now, you got some good choices. I might have to go check out a Tele myself mind, don't think I've ever been near one before, could be worth trying it out I think.
Domigan_Lefty  
10 Oct 2009 08:01 | Quote
United States
Get the SG. Or the Ibanez. They the best.
case211  
10 Oct 2009 11:44 | Quote
United States
@domigan

again, personal preferance...

@RA

I have played a few Gibsons before and compared(new SG's) to the Epihpones, I couldn't really tell too much difference between them.
Again, I'm a fender Strat/strat style kind of guy though(but I am going to be building up an Explorer guitar in the next few months) and I really like the SG's they are just a different feel than what I like... But I would definitely love to get my hands on a Tele, those things are awesome
and as a side note: I've tried to talk my dad into seeing if his uncle would sell me his SG... a vintage mint condition 61 SG(Gibson) Cherry Red with a Bigsby Vibrato... mmmmmmmm... he said no :(

@heather

I would, personally try to get an Epi SG, but I already have 2 guitars that need work(Ibanez needs a setup and intonation, explorer needs basically everything), but outside of a Tele, an Epi SG with Seymour Duncan 59's would be amazing for me. I love the necks on those things, but the bridge is a little different for me to get used to.

Ozzfan486  
10 Oct 2009 11:55 | Quote
United States
RA - There are good epiphones out there too. I definetely have one. I played a Gibby through the same amp I have personally at GC and I think mine sounded better overall. It's all just personal opinion though.
Damien  
10 Oct 2009 15:39 | Quote
United Kingdom
Damien  
10 Oct 2009 15:41 | Quote
United Kingdom

Sorry about double post, it's the first pic I have uploaded, soooo please don't be nasty.
I might buy it if it's cheap.
case211  
10 Oct 2009 16:15 | Quote
United States
I like that man, the bridge looks like its off of an American series strat with the two point and the way the rollers look(I don't know what they are called).

That thing is freaking awesome.
Damien  
10 Oct 2009 16:19 | Quote
United Kingdom
I think it shows that Fender put love into their Squier make too, they also had Telecasters like this on the Squier site.
Damien  
10 Oct 2009 16:26 | Quote
United Kingdom
Heres One of Two Tele's of the Squire OBEY section, the Squire Strat I put was OBEY aswell, there is Two of them aswell

This Tele is really nice I love it.
case211  
10 Oct 2009 20:12 | Quote
United States
Okay, that Tele is dead sexy with that Humbucker in the bridge ;) A string through body with that cool of a paintjob and that awesome looking bridge, whew that is awesome, I may just make my next guitar a tele with a humbucker now.
Ozzfan486  
10 Oct 2009 20:15 | Quote
United States
I was thinking of buying that Tele a while back. Nice guitar indeed.
Domigan_Lefty  
11 Oct 2009 06:51 | Quote
United States
Back to origional question...
It depends on the sound you like. The Epiphone will have a nice hardcore/metal sound because of the dual humbucker pickups.
Most Telecasters ive seen have a normal strat pickup setup. 3 single coil, but some have a humbucker. So itll have a lesser sound.
I dont remember what ibanez has, but when i went looking at an Ibanez, the store owner picked one up and started shreding. It was the greatest sound i ever heard. (Kind of like Eddie Van Halen).

But amp also makes a diference
Damien  
11 Oct 2009 10:29 | Quote
United Kingdom
I have an Amp that sounds good already, I'm not planning on gigging or anything so I don't need anything more than my current 15-watt amp.
I don't really play Metal stuff, more slower, blues type stuff 9 times out of 10, so I guess it's between the 2 Squire Guitars.
So what does everyone think, Strat or Tele.
I prefer the Tele, but I have only played the Strat briefly, and it was the lowest model, wheras I played a middle-higher end Tele, so what is a middle-higher end Strat like?
Thank you for helping.

Ps: Does anyone know whether the Dunlop Crybaby Wah is any good, the base one, I want a Wah and my Local Store has a few in stock.
fender_bender  
16 Oct 2009 08:46 | Quote
United States
I'm a strat guy myself. So I would go that way, but the tele has a larger neck radius and it feels better when playing chords, but the body is just a large flat chunk of wood (mostly). The strat neck is a little flatter, but still curved enough to feel great playing chords and lead. The strat body is more comfortable IMO.

An Ibanez will have a thin almost flat neck which is geared more towards lead and power chord players. A SG will have a wide thick neck and feels pretty solid in your hands and is good if you have large hands.

My favorite guitar right now though is my Michael Kelly Patriot Glory (I'm playing it in my picture on the left of this post) I love this guitar. I have an american strat, an epi SG, a fender tele, a fender showmaster, An Ibanez SA160qm (just sold it a few months ago) and A 'vintage' handmade B.C. Rich Bich. These other guitars just hang on my wall. I hardly ever play them, because I like my MK so much. I only $350 for my MK too. Which was cheaper then some of the others.

And to answer your question, Yes, the orignal crybaby is a very good wah. A lot of pros used that pedal.
fender_bender  
16 Oct 2009 08:49 | Quote
United States
Here is a better pic of my MK

fender_bender  
16 Oct 2009 08:51 | Quote
United States

oops. That didn't work. I guess you can't use html in here.

Well darn! Just go here to my Flickr site. I have pics of my other guitars on there too. I'm an amateur photographer so there will be pics of nature crap on there too.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/andyandcourtney/2800191155/
BodomBeachTerror  
16 Oct 2009 12:02 | Quote
Canada
whoa thats pretty
fender_bender  
16 Oct 2009 14:10 | Quote
United States

Sorry for another post, but I just figured out this pic posting process for this forum. It's different for every forum I'm a part of! You can't see it on the pic, but the knobs and pickups are engraved with some of the same scroll work as the neck inlay. It sounds great too!
Evan  
16 Oct 2009 14:13 | Quote
United States
Depends on your style.

For classic rock, I'd go with an SG, Les Paul, or Strat. For jazz, I'd say a hollowbody Ibanez (artcores are quite fine guitars).

Just depends on your style and what kind of sound you want.
fender_bender  
16 Oct 2009 14:42 | Quote
United States
@Bodom
Thanks I just saw your schecter in the guitar pics thread. It looks friggin sweet!

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.