Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

Tapping

Technique
Empirism  
19 Jan 2009 13:04 | Quote
Finland
Lessons: 4
Helloes, I started to practise this, but what is your opinion for sound setup for it? Chorus or delay or both? What helps the sound to make it easier and better sounding.

Another thing is very basic, do I need to tap hard string against fretboard or how I should tap effectively?

Thanks in advance
Empirism
MuseFan  
19 Jan 2009 13:14 | Quote
United Kingdom
I personally think that delay is more effective than chorus
Nutter166  
19 Jan 2009 13:25 | Quote
Wales
Licks: 2
I lack any kind of effect other then a gain channel and personally I find it more effect as I can focus more on the sound of a single note playing when it's needed.

Set-up wise, I'd suggest bridge pickup with gain and neck pickup with cleans (using a compressor on clean tones).
Afro_Raven  
19 Jan 2009 13:58 | Quote
United Kingdom
Lessons: 1
Don't practice with any effects to begin with, regardless of what anyone else says. You need to be able to produce a strong, confident sound on a dry clean setting before you start masking your ability with effects! Doing it this way will also allow you to hear how hard or soft you should be tapping, we can't really tell you via the internet, you need to be able to hear it for yourself.

Afro
JazzMaverick  
19 Jan 2009 15:41 | Quote
United Kingdom
Lessons: 24
Licks: 37
Afro took the words from my mouth! Exactly what he said, practice it clean and then when it's truly in time and well played it'll sound amazing with effects because there are no errors. :)
Empirism  
19 Jan 2009 16:19 | Quote
Finland
Yes, one thing I learned here is that I depart playing and practising. I do practise with cleans, but I wondered that when I start to try it out with playing with background say metal forexample, I wondered any tips for effects and setups that it dont messed out or that are commonly used in it.

I feel comfortable tapping with my left hand, but I wondered is there any methods for two handed tapping. That is also one thing I wish to try out. Any suitable lick for it could be also good.

Thanks again.
Afro_Raven  
20 Jan 2009 07:30 | Quote
United Kingdom
Lessons: 1
If you're thinking of one string two-handed tapping, maybe look at the solos in One or Master of Puppets by Metallica.

For multiple finger tapping, you have to look at New Blues by Satriani. Try and watch him do it on YouTube first though, just so you can see the technique being used. A very easy and very catchy song I think!

Afro
Empirism  
20 Jan 2009 09:35 | Quote
Finland
Aight, I check those one out.
guitarmastergod  
20 Jan 2009 18:38 | Quote
Canada
what kind of tapping is it? like just on one string? or multiple strings with string skipping? like michael romeo or van halen?
vincejonesiii  
3 Mar 2009 11:19 | Quote
United States
Licks: 1
well you dont nee to tap hard if your action is really low

but if your action is high then yeahyeh nee to tap harder
macandkanga  
3 Mar 2009 11:30 | Quote
United States
When you really have the technique down you can actually do it on an acoustic. Now that I think of it, it would'nt be a bad idea to practice that way. On an electric, even on a clean setting, you can still get the effect even when doing it wrong or not well I should say. But on an acoustic you don't get anything unless you're doing it right.

I don't know. Just a thought.

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.