Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

New Rules To The Licks Section

Music Theory
1 2
gshredder2112  
26 Mar 2011 22:23 | Quote
United States
Licks: 3
ftw i have one more suggestion,thumbnail pics fee licks!
JazzMaverick  
26 Mar 2011 22:30 | Quote
United Kingdom
Lessons: 24
Licks: 37
mmm I don't see why that would be necessary. When it's tabs and notation that will be listed, not really pictures per se. Care to express that idea further?
gshredder2112  
26 Mar 2011 23:00 | Quote
United States
Licks: 3
umm i kinda getn at like havn a small pic next to your lick,to make it more appealing,like if it were a country lick maybe shiw a pic of a tele or banjoor if it happened to be a metal lick maybe a pointy guitar,just like little pics that reflect the genre of the lick
idk just thrown it out there.just might make things funner,morevisually appealing.
gs2112
deefa  
27 Mar 2011 10:16 | Quote
United Kingdom
Just a thought, but as the moderators are arguably the most knowledgeable musicians on the site, wouldn't it make more sense to run new licks etc past the mods first BEFORE posting thereby protecting newbies from confusion and saving much embarrassment all round? Or would this be considered un-democratic?
BodomBeachTerror  
27 Mar 2011 10:18 | Quote
Canada
Lessons: 2
Licks: 1
I think thats a good idea Deefa, often there are small errors in licks and lessons, having someone look through it could fix that
JazzMaverick  
27 Mar 2011 13:27 | Quote
United Kingdom
No I like the idea, and I agree, too. :)
harleyofdoom  
27 Mar 2011 16:39 | Quote
United States
as this seems to have become the suggestions thread:

i have recently started learning my harmonic/melodic intervals and triads and its really opened the door to creative chord building ( i would recommend it to everyone who wants to tie together their rhythm and lead skills) . thought it might be useful to add an "interval/triad" and "reverse interval/triad" section to this site

just an idea
thatguitarguy  
28 Mar 2011 07:50 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 1
how do you upload a file to the lick library? Ive tried but it said I couldent use the file I have.
JazzMaverick  
28 Mar 2011 19:08 | Quote
United Kingdom
@ Harley, yeah, I really like that idea... that's got a number of ideas going in my head. You know, if you feel confident with it - you could also write up a lesson for others. I would say in the mean time, but really - someone's description on top of examples will always be better than a section on the site... so we could even recommend your (or anyone else) lesson via that page on the site. :)

@ Spirited Away... I ALWAYS have that problem... really gets on my nerves. I don't know why it won't work... I'll try and see with Admin. Because I depend on other members to help me out when it comes to uploading mp3s.

Guitarslinger124  
21 Aug 2011 19:48 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 12
Licks: 42
BUMP!!!!

I know it is a long time coming, but we are working on improving the licks section. But for now, we ask that you please take advantage of the tab feature on the site at least.

Rock on!
JudazPreist  
30 Nov 2011 15:29 | Quote
United States
I understand the conceptual difference between a riff and a lick now after reading this! But what I can't help but wondering what classifies as a lick. I'm new as of maybe 30 min ago but please sincearly bear with me.
Phip  
30 Nov 2011 16:04 | Quote
United States
JP,
maybe this will help clear it up a bit more for you.
I found this with a google search

A lick is a short, formulaic phrase generally used in improvised solos. Licks tend to be common to an idiom: bluegrass pros recognize common bluegrass licks (like a Lester Flatt G-run), which differ from the licks a jazz cat would use. Many players string these licks together, letting their fingers remember what to do next. They instill their own personality in the solo in the way they play the lick or in the moments between the licks, as well as in the melodies they pull out of their head.

Some folks use riffing to mean jamming, but a riff can also be thought of as a clearly defined phrase that is unique to a song. The riff in "Day Tripper," for example, is instantly recognizable as an important part of the song; it's the hook, the musical catchphrase. In jazz, riff has a specific meaning: a short melodic phrase that is repeated, often over changing harmonies. It can function as the melody of a song or as an ostinato for a soloist to improvise over. Riffs likely are derived from the call-and-response patterns of African music, and the word itself is thought to have originated in New Orleans marching band music, from which it entered the jazz lexicon. Count Basie's "One O'Clock Jump" and Glenn Miller's "In the Mood" are two popular riff-based tunes. But the word riff has come to mean different things to different people.

—Andrew DuBrock
V3N0M3333  
1 Dec 2011 06:37 | Quote
United States
Licks: 15
I think Gshredders icon thing is cool......and it should be up to whoever learns the lick to use it in a different genre or whatever

I think that there should be a Genre section and then a difficulty section following. The creator of the lick tells what genre it is, and the difficulty level should be decided by the Mods.I had pictures and everything lol but my laptop broke...
supPuss  
24 Aug 2012 17:25 | Quote
just a thought, was browsing licks the other day, there are like massive score-like tabs there [lolwut?], just wanted to suggest to remove those... or you can add a new TAB's section where people who wanna share their compositions can post tabs, also possibly famous pop, rock, metal whatever tabs for people who wanna learn songs/chord progs... just a suggestion
1 2

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.