Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

Bass

Technique
Kodi666  
23 Dec 2008 12:18 | Quote
Canada
So I picked up a Bass Guitar for the first time in over one year, and I was rusty but I'm now a bit better than I was before.
Thing is, I can not play fingerstyle very well. It seems like a vibrate the string too much up where my fretting hand is, and that I can play cleaner with a pick.
Today I've learned how to slap the bass, and I'm working on that, and it's coming along. But I can't do normal finger style, or pop.

Can anyone give me some help on how to play fingerstyle, how to pop, finger exercises/strengtheners for both hands, etc.

Thanks y'all
-- Kodi
EMB5490  
23 Dec 2008 12:29 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 1
Licks: 1
sup again. i have no idea but sup. lol.
Heather  
23 Dec 2008 12:30 | Quote
United Kingdom
Licks: 2
I don't know much about the bass, but I'm sure plenty of other users here will. I can suggest finger exercises to strengthen your hands though, press and pluck every string from the 1st to 4th fret with every finger and move on to the next string everyday. Then they'll soon strengthen up. Another thing I remember someone posting here was to strengthen your whole hand you can even take a golf ball and roll it clockwise around your hands. It sounds wierd but I tried that and it really works.
jcb3000  
23 Dec 2008 12:55 | Quote
United Kingdom
i used to play bass and two fo my friends play it too so yeah. to pop, you pluck up and away from the guitar from underneath the string quite hard if we're thinking of the same thing. improving finger picking? umm use a metronome and use index and middle fingers along to it, may be boring but god it helps.
Guitarslinger124  
23 Dec 2008 13:38 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 12
Licks: 42
I've been playin bass now for 7 years. for regular "finger style" just practice with the same workouts you would for guitar. just with a pick. as for slapping and popping...look up some victor wooten stuff and practice that.
GRX40  
23 Dec 2008 13:55 | Quote
United States
Licks: 1
I read through a lesson on UG on this subject, when I was considering bass playing (I decided against it, because of money, plus I just wanted to improve at guitar first). It has some exercises and explanations for both slapping and popping.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=494268&highlight=slap
soy.el.che  
23 Dec 2008 14:53 | Quote
Mexico
Lessons: 1
it aint that hard, i played for some months. i played fingerstyle n it sounded good enough. i wont give you any advice cause i never took a bass course, and the way i used to do it might be wrong and i dont wanna mess with your playing
telecrater  
23 Dec 2008 16:10 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 8
I switched to the bass to get in a band or 3. Bands are allwas looking for bass players cuz every one wants to play the guitar.

playing with your fingers are trickier than with a pick but just start with your pointer and middle and practice alternating between the two and make sure whne you hit the note it sounds the same. It's kind of super beginer stuff but it important if you want the play with your fingers.

as for slap and plucking.....

when you slap with your thump you have to use a j style motion make sure that when you strike with your thumb you move away otherwise it will mute the string.

popping the string is well plucing it

a good practice exercise it using octaves. check out the tab for RHCP's stevie woudner song, I can't remember what it was called.

G|-------------------------------------------------------
D|-------------------------------------------------------
A|------2---------5------7--------9----------------------
E|--0-------3-3------5-------7-7-------------------------

there is also a technicure where instead of slapping the low string the pop both strings and sounds pretty good but kinda of diffucult to master. I've always had trouble with keeping it clean and wound up hitting extra notes. but I also tried to use some chords to sort of make up the difference.

I've considered going back to the bass and trying to find a country band or something to play with.

Oh yeah and welcome back
TheAmericanBrit  
23 Dec 2008 16:14 | Quote
United States
To pop, you pluck pull the string with the end of your pinky. That's it.

Fingerstyle? Just practice playing simple lines while alternating your index and middle finger.

TheAmericanBrit  
23 Dec 2008 16:15 | Quote
United States
jcb3000 says:
you pluck up and away from the guitar

I'm sorry, the what?
telecrater  
23 Dec 2008 21:10 | Quote
United States
when you pop or pluck you don't have to you your pinky. I use my ring finger.

This is a pretty good bass site

http://www.studybass.com/

TheAmericanBrit  
24 Dec 2008 05:08 | Quote
United States
Meh, to each his own. I just prefer to use my pinky.
JazzMaverick  
24 Dec 2008 09:15 | Quote
United Kingdom
Lessons: 24
Licks: 37
Impressive that you can use your pinky for it, not many can to be honest. I also use my ring finger, or middle, depends on what I'm doing.

Anyway, since we're on the topic of amazing bass techniques - why not learn some amazing exercises? :D

Michael Manring playing the song "Teen Town" which was originally made by Weather Report. (AMAZING TRACK) I learnt it and love playing it to this day. Though I play the bass line on guitar 'cause it's funner for me. :D (Plus I don't actually own a bass)
telecrater  
24 Dec 2008 17:44 | Quote
United States
I have to say that no bass player compares to my man Lester.

he is one of my favorites.

I've got to go listen to some primus now....
league  
27 Dec 2008 14:44 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 2
Remember to relax when you play the bass. I've always noticed that bass lines sound way better when I or former bandmates play relaxed. You really got to get into the rhythm especially when its hard to hear yourself over some loud ass guitarist.
johnnycage  
21 Jan 2009 16:17 | Quote
Hey glad to hear that you have picked up a bass again. I could explain the techniques you asked for but to just save time I will post the links were I learnt them my self. I am also like you, well I am a beginner, so we will be the same am guessing, anyways here are the links

Bass Exercises

and
Popping

Hope they help

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.