Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

Where are all the good guitarists nowadays?

General Chat
1 2 3 4
owensp  
7 Nov 2008 17:51 | Quote
Bermuda
someone needs to do something different. its all the same
BodomBeachTerror  
7 Nov 2008 18:02 | Quote
Canada
Lessons: 2
Licks: 1
want something different?
jcb3000  
7 Nov 2008 18:03 | Quote
United Kingdom
some people are way too subjective when it comes to music. there with always be people that disagree so the most suitable answer to the question "where are all the good guitarists nowadays?" is no where yet everywhere. it just depends on who you consider to be a good guitarist.

@bodom
i wonder what their band practice is like jeez.

and that guy with the tea cozy on his head has a micro korg, those things are amazing!
owensp  
7 Nov 2008 18:26 | Quote
Bermuda
yeah i agree it all depends on personal preference. but this is my opinion and my personal preference and im wondering what other people's are
Crunch  
7 Nov 2008 19:04 | Quote
United States
Bodom, that was freaking awesome.

I can't embed this (by request), but I hope you guys still check it out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRDG9GKb-TM

It's The Mars Volta playing their song "Goliath," it has a really nice groove and some plain crazy stuff going on. These guys are absolutely fantastic live, I might add :)
GRX40  
7 Nov 2008 19:25 | Quote
United States
Crunch says:
Bodom that was freaking awesome.

I can't embed this (by request), but I hope you guys still check it out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRDG9GKb-TM

It's The Mars Volta playing their song "Goliath," it has a really nice groove and some plain crazy stuff going on. These guys are absolutely fantastic live, I might add :)

That verse riff really reminds me of something the Rage Against the Machine would do. Which is kind of weird, since RATM's lead vocalist teamed up with the Mars Volta's drummer and released some songs.
telecrater  
7 Nov 2008 20:12 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 8
Yeah i hear bomb track on that tune.

Crunch  
7 Nov 2008 20:30 | Quote
United States
I was pretty excited to hear that The Mars Volta's "L'Via L'Viaquez" is on the new Guitar Hero. Now I'm just waiting for one of my friends to buy the damned thing :)
Nightmare  
7 Nov 2008 20:41 | Quote
Lebanon
blackholesun says:
Check out the band Porcupine Tree, they are a prog rock/metal...

Actually Porcupine Tree are one of the worst band i ever heard, seriously.
blackholesun  
8 Nov 2008 05:53 | Quote
United Kingdom
And why do you think that?

Like I said, it is one of their poppiest, more accessible songs. Bearing in mind that legends like Alex Lifeson (Rush), Robert Fripp (King Crimson) and Mikael Åkerfeldt (Opeth) have guested on their last two albums, it shows the impact that they have in the prog rock/metal genre.
Doz  
8 Nov 2008 11:04 | Quote
United Kingdom
Nightmare: You can't just state opinion without evidance, or explanation, in a debate. It just makes you look ignorant even if there are reasons you said it.
telecrater  
8 Nov 2008 11:17 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 8
Remember that music is an art form. Look at the video BodomBeachTerror posted for example. it was very artistic and full of self expression though not something i typically enjoy and can respect in it.

Just because you don't like something does not mean it's crap or the worst band ever.

Look at the music of the late 80's and 90's. Nirvana and many other bands were able to express them selves with 4 over driven chords and that took over mainstream rock. was nirvana the worst band in the world? some would say so, others would argue not.

Regardless music is about self expression. If you don't like something that's fine. But come on share with us why you don't like it.
6StringEvil  
8 Nov 2008 11:27 | Quote
India
Nightmare says:
Actually Porcupine Tree are one of the worst band i ever heard, seriously

Actually i like Porcupine Tree, especially Trains, Blackest Eyes and Lazarus....

In fact, Blackwater Park album of Opeth was produced by Porcupine Tree frontman Steve Wilson
blackholesun  
8 Nov 2008 13:49 | Quote
United Kingdom
I think he did Deliverance and Damnation by Opeth as well. I think my favorite Porcupine Tree song is Anesthetize, but it's 18 minutes long which is too long for a standard youtube video, hence the two-parter:

Their early stuff like The Sky Moves Sideways is pretty cool as well. Really good for just chilling out.
Nightmare  
8 Nov 2008 16:27 | Quote
Lebanon
telecrater says:
Just because you don't like something does not mean it's crap or the worst band ever.

I said it's the worst band i ever heard, and what i said refers to my OPINION.

'Doz when someone says that he/she thinks that band sux, it simply means that he/she doesn't like how the band sounds.

Anyways u wanna know why i think PT suck, it's because i dont like their Psychedelic rock/metal songs. It's like listening to Pantera with Pink Floyd vocal.
Having Mikael Åkerfeldt a guest on PT last two albums, means only that a good guitarist played with them, but he played different style in a different genre. Cannibal Corpse's(Brutal/Death Metal) guitarist used to play with Nevermore(Heavy Metal), but does it mean that who ever like Nevermore should like Cannibal Corpse, or should the two bands be really good? No, each band got their own music style and their own fans. Same goes for Chris Broderick.
owensp  
8 Nov 2008 16:59 | Quote
Bermuda
Nightmare: You can't just state opinion without evidance, or explanation, in a debate. It just makes you look ignorant even if there are reasons you said it.

AGREED
nightmare seems to do that alot
Nightmare  
8 Nov 2008 17:11 | Quote
Lebanon
owensp says:
AGREED
nightmare seems to do that alot

really i do that alot? ok next time i'll try to be more reasonable, but if didnt mention any evidance or didnt state any reason doesn't mean im ignorant, it's just that i find it hard to explain so i would rather not to type anything.
Doz  
8 Nov 2008 17:29 | Quote
United Kingdom
Can you really say they're the worst band you've heard though, Nightmare? I don't think so.
Nightmare  
8 Nov 2008 17:35 | Quote
Lebanon
No, but if you asked me who's the best band you ever heard, i could not have answered that question too.
blackholesun  
8 Nov 2008 18:42 | Quote
United Kingdom
Nightmare says:
when someone says that he/she thinks that band sux, it simply means that he/she doesn't like how the band sounds.

Yeah, if you're in first school and you can't think of a proper adjective to use. It's fair enough if you don't like their sound but that doesn't mean they automatically "suck" and they're "the worst band ever". PT sound nothing like Pantera, and since when have clean vocals been a bad thing?

I didn't say that PT are good simply because Opeth's guitarist played on an album, or that Opeth fans would automatically like PT. I was saying that it shows that Porcupine Tree have respect from many artists in the prog rock genre, which indirectly shows that they are good because if they weren't then people like Åkerfeldt, Fripp and Lifeson wouldn't be interested in playing on their albums.
Nightmare  
8 Nov 2008 19:11 | Quote
Lebanon
blackholesun says:
Yeah, if you're in first school and you can't think of a proper adjective to use.

im sorry i didnt get it, what do u mean by that? if you're talking about my sentence above ya i know theres something wrong in it(that band,band sounds), i just reread it now. or are u talking about using the right adjective for describing PT. and what do u mean by "first school"?
I SAID THATS MY OPINION, MAYBE THE BAND DOESN'T SUCK, BUT WHEN IT COMES TO ME IT DO SUCK >> MY OPINION!!
and No it's not one great guitarist that makes the band really good.
blackholesun  
8 Nov 2008 19:18 | Quote
United Kingdom
First school, elementary school. It just seems childish to say that something sucks, as if you don't know what else you can say. Anyhow, it doesn't matter. Give them another listen though, it took me a while to get into them as well.
Nightmare  
8 Nov 2008 19:24 | Quote
Lebanon
no I'm not in elementary school I'm 18 :S I finished highschool 3 years ago, thats not what I meant when I said its hard to explain... Anyways
Doz  
8 Nov 2008 21:33 | Quote
United Kingdom
Nightmare, you seem to be forgetting the point of forums. They are for discussion of opinions and what you offered wasn't really discussion... just an over exaggerated statement - so what was the point?
Nightmare  
8 Nov 2008 22:05 | Quote
Lebanon
'Doz what's with all that negativisim!!!!??? Did i kill someone? Plz tell me what wrong have u done to u. Am I the first one who posts his opinion on this website.. my statement was related to a discussion and not to start a discussion, plus it turned out to be a discussion about opeth guitarist and PT band after u told me to give out a reason..
BodomBeachTerror  
8 Nov 2008 22:39 | Quote
Canada

heres something else that is quite unlike anything ive heard
JazzMaverick  
9 Nov 2008 11:06 | Quote
United Kingdom
Lessons: 24
Licks: 37
I'll post what's on my profile:

"So much of what's good about music ceases to make sense when you attempt to analyse it from a 'Who's the best?' perspective" - Guthrie Govan

Get it?
Doz  
9 Nov 2008 12:11 | Quote
United Kingdom
I'm not being negative, for you to just state a band sucks is negative.

And I agree with Jazz absolutely.
Nightmare  
9 Nov 2008 17:13 | Quote
Lebanon
'Doz you dont expect me to like all bands do u? can you plzz just close the topic.

'Jazzy ya i got it, and thats true ya, but why are you posting this? I'm not doing that, im not trying to analyse music from...

'Bodom nice, but i never heard of them. where are they from?
JazzMaverick  
9 Nov 2008 17:19 | Quote
United Kingdom
Lessons: 24
Licks: 37
I'm not just posting that to you NM, I'm posting it to everyone.

Everyone seems to have this major competitive thing in them that makes them think only what they hear is the best. When they haven't even bothered to properly check other things out.

It makes them blind to all other skills around them, and they'll be nothing but narrow minded musicians.
Nightmare  
9 Nov 2008 17:37 | Quote
Lebanon
JazzMaverick says:
Everyone seems to have this major competitive thing in them that makes them think only what they hear is the best. When they haven't even bothered to properly check other things out

No jazzy thats not true, i always try to listen to other stuff and check out different genres or artists that interests a majority or a minority of people.
BodomBeachTerror  
9 Nov 2008 18:00 | Quote
Canada
theyre from MOntreal Canada i think
Nightmare  
9 Nov 2008 18:07 | Quote
Lebanon
I always wanted to go to Montreal :( :( :( :(
Doz  
9 Nov 2008 18:11 | Quote
United Kingdom
You're missing the point. I'm not saying you had to like them, or that you can't have an opinion. I'm saying that you should try to offer more to the conversation than an over exaggerated statement of your opinion - because that's what these forums are for - discussion.
Nightmare  
9 Nov 2008 22:14 | Quote
Lebanon
'Doz I know what you meant, you made yourself clear the first time and so did I, so why are you making us repeat ourselves.. can you please end that topic now..
BodomBeachTerror  
9 Nov 2008 22:16 | Quote
Canada
agreed, enough of that
bwins127  
12 May 2009 10:22 | Quote
There are some great guitarists out there today that will fill the shoes of the greats back in the day. Good music will always live on simply because music is a language we all understand. Here is my list of some guitarists today who have some amazing skills.

John Mayer
John Frusciante
Joe Bonamassa
Jonny Lang
John Butler
Ben Harper
Derek Trucks
Ronert Randolph
Chris Thile (usually plays Mandolin)
Jack Johnson
Keb' Mo'
Matthew Followill
Mike Einziger
Dave Matthews
Tim Reynolds
Ron Block
Dan Tyminski
Tad Kinchla
Kyle McDonald
Mat McHugh
Mason Jennings
William Evans Benoit
John J. Driscoll
Chad Urmston
Brad Corrigan
Bon Iver
Damien Rice
Ray LaMontagne
Xavier Rudd

To name a few....this list contains guitarists who play many different styles and genres, such as blues, rock, southern rock, roots, slide, ska, reggae, acoustic, folk, bluegrass, jazz, metal, alternative, eclectic, etc. Like I said, there are many outstanding guitarists out there in today's music.it just takes a little searching to find the talent that is around just like it was in earlier years.
Teeman21  
16 May 2009 09:35 | Quote
United States
there are some pretty good guitarists out there like synyster gates, its just his songwriting that isnt very good at all. A7X is a perfect example of some dip***s getting together and playing the same stuff over and over again. its really sad. Bands like Coheed and Cambria are really good songwriters, but there solos could use a little more work.
patleh  
17 May 2009 08:12 | Quote
United States
i think the good ones are here. and by here i mean the guitarists trying to learn as much as they can, going to lessons, practacing , and goign on forums like this.
JustJeff  
17 May 2009 09:51 | Quote
United States
I feel like Acoustic guitar has made a comeback, with all the electronic ** flooding the market, it's nice to hear some soulful, beautiful, UNEDITED music. Just that raw sound can do so much.

Xavier Rudd is amazing. John Mayer is okay... but his ego is not something you want to be associated with.

I mean, great guitarists just don't exist anymore. I think a lot of people feel that the extent to what you can do with a guitar has almost peaked. No one really wants to experiment with it that much. However, electronic stuff is starting to hit the market and you see alot more people playing MIDI and other forms of electronic music control. That's the next step, not the next Hendrix or SRV
1 2 3 4

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.