Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

Plan a pedal effect chain to Emp!

Instruments and Gear
Empirism  
25 Mar 2011 14:30 | Quote
Finland
Lessons: 4
Allright, my goal is to make pedalboard or buy (dunno yet) with effect chain of single pedals for gigging purpose.

throw your tips, favorite pedals, favorite chains or a like. Electric guitar and the elektro acoustic guitar.

Cheers!, thanks in advance
Emp
case211  
25 Mar 2011 14:32 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 2
Licks: 6
what kind of stuff do you plan to play and do you use the amp for a main distortion or not?
Domigan_Lefty  
25 Mar 2011 16:24 | Quote
United States
Hmm...
Dunlop Crybaby
Digitech Whammy
Volume
Distortion (I use a Boss ML-2)
Flanger
Noise Suppression
Delay
Line Selector (A to amp, B nowhere; kill sound)

If I had a volume pedal and split my multi-FX to single pedals (flange, delay, noise suppression) this is how I would be set up.
It's a good Alternative/Metal setup.
Empirism  
25 Mar 2011 17:02 | Quote
Finland
Dunlop crybaby sounds good, I dont know that whammy...somekind of harmonizer?... any tips for delay and noise suppression pedals? i think those are must... I thought compressor too...

@Case... my band plays mostly rock/hard rock, but we try some groove also, I think with my new guitar, I wish to take some acoustic/acoustic rock maybe too... so Im open even effectchain to acoustic, its not imposible that in the future I use two pedalboards, one for electric and one for elektroacoustic...

Emp
Domigan_Lefty  
25 Mar 2011 18:33 | Quote
United States
Whammy acts as a harmonizer and a pitch Shifter to bend notes/chords up to two octaves up or up to 3 octaves down.
It's good for if you want buckethead/Tom Morello like freaky bends, or if you want whammy bar like sounds without the risk of detuning your guitar, or routing to put a whammy bar in.
The Harmonizer part could be better, but sounds great in the FX loop or after a distortion pedal, but then the whammy part gets to where it could be better. (hard to explain)

I can never figure out how to work a delay pedal. I go to guitar center and it's just WTF? So I use the one in my multi-fx.
Speed, rate, volume; why can't they be that simple.
Same with noise suppressor, I try one and I lose all control on the tone.
I don't understand a compressor, all it does is give me massive amounts of feedback.
So I'm sticking with a $60 multi fx instead of $200 of pedals that I can't figure out.
gshredder2112  
25 Mar 2011 19:00 | Quote
United States
Licks: 3
well fr hard rock

boss ds-1dist(all time classic)
isp decimator pedal(will kill all noise)
boss dd-7 delay(has every type of delay possible,very user friendly,has tap tempo extension,fair price)
mxr dyna comp(will squish the piss out
your signal or if ya got the money mxr custom comp
enrnie ball volume, works good
steve vai bad horsie wah(only goes on when you step on it,goes offf whenya lift yyer foot off
YOU MUUST GET DIGITECH WHAMMY coolest pedal evar!
boss super shifter(harmonizes in key,flutter effect

just my suggestios
gs2112
case211  
25 Mar 2011 21:58 | Quote
United States
It really depends on what you need man. You may never use a Whammy pedal, or it could be the second most used pedal on the board; depends on the person.
My personal pedal board is 2 pedals... a Bad Monkey boosting a Tube King.
If you aren't going to use the amps distortion channel, then I would say look into some Fulltone OCD pedals for a main dirt that isn't super high gain(think old Marshall). Delay is hit or miss depending on if you will really need or use it at all...
Wah is one of the few that could be used a lot, since a lot of people used it.
A Boss NS-2 noise gate is a must have for a quiet no-buzz/hum rig.
Volume pedals are sort of in the same boat as whammy's, since you have a volume control on your guitar... a little redundant it seems.

Up to you man, the only thing my rig has is a footswitch that changes the amp from my rhythm to lead channels, and the added spring reverb on the amp. Very bare bones and basic, no? XD

Really though dude, you should look at the stuff you will need AND use rather than having one cool pedal that gets clicked on once every blue moon... better to spend a month trying out 3 different pedals than to buy 3 pedals every month.
Schecter_player  
26 Mar 2011 00:16 | Quote
Canada
You do not want a Boss DS-1. Not interesting in any way.
case211  
26 Mar 2011 03:01 | Quote
United States
Schecter_player says:
You do not want a Boss DS-1. Not interesting in any way.

Agreed...
gshredder2112  
26 Mar 2011 03:26 | Quote
United States
^^^ well i guess a ibanez tube screamer would work too....
harleyofdoom  
26 Mar 2011 15:44 | Quote
United States
hmm

Fulltone Clyde Deluxe Wah- huge sweep range and 3 variable tones + boost volume control + true bypass

Guyatone Mighty Micro WRm5 Wah Rocker- envolope filter with supurb tracking.. good for fast funky slapping when a wah would be impractical

Blackstar HT-Delay

Analogman chorus

TC Electronic Polytune Chromatic Tuner- cant beat it for speed tuning.. its got a feature that allows you to strum all the strings at once and it will tell you which one is out of tune (ingeniousness.)

Suhr Riot- in my eyes the best distortion on the market

Redwitch Fuzzgod II- yet to test this myself but i've heard it demoed and fuzzgod is an adequate name

Electro-Harmonix HOG Octave Generator/Synthesizer + Expression Pedal - this will set you back a lot of cash but it will also vastly increase your sonic vocabulary..

Akai Compressor

isp decimator OR you might find that a Voodoo Labs pedal power II will clean up the current enough that you wont need a noise gate: depends on the quality off the patch cables you use etc.

most of this stuff is on my wishlist at one online music store or another maybe one day i'll have the cash to buy it all.. the way i look at it tho pedals are just for fun and embellishment if you have a half decent guitar/amp then most of the tone is right there in your fingers. I guess the idea is that by the time i can afford all these toys i wont be using them to cover up the failings in my technique I'll be using them to enhance the nuances and subtleties
Empirism  
27 Mar 2011 22:59 | Quote
Finland
Thanks for tips guys,Ill check those up later (gotta hurry to work ), Isp decimator got my interest while back, but for some reason I cant find that one from Finnish distributers or local stores...

That blackstar looks REALLY interesting, price is not THAT bad, I really like the tap tempo feature...

yeah cool, keep em comin m8s.
Emp
Empirism  
28 Mar 2011 23:44 | Quote
Finland
Yeah, that Tube King sounds actually great for its price!, I think that will be my distortion pick, thou I REALLY want that Suhr Riot, but its little too heavy priced at the start.

MAN... this goin to cost me very penny LOL, I checked those pedals Harley and they seem to be very quality pedals.., but damn my wallet cant stand them all lol so I think atm its

Crybaby (75), Ibanez Tube King (144) , Blackstar delay (245)

Voodoo Labs pedal power II looks very good, dunno thou how it will be compared to noise supression, but definately I but that on my list, looks handy... 200 price thou I gotta wait a little...

Cheers!

harleyofdoom  
29 Mar 2011 03:11 | Quote
United States
yeah i know what you mean price wise,.. these are my current cream of the crop tone junkie (if i had a bottomless wallet) picks.
but my advice to you is shop around and spend the extra cash to get a really good wah as the versatility of this effect is highly underrated (its not just for funk and screaming hard rock) if you have something that can maintain a solid tone throughout the sweep range then you can instantly move your position in the mix with a quick foot movement. a lot of the wha pedals i've tried are pretty useless for the majority of the sweep. just somthing to keep in mind
AlexB  
29 Mar 2011 03:22 | Quote
Mexico
Licks: 2
Tc electronic delay is cool too
gshredder2112  
29 Mar 2011 11:28 | Quote
United States
you should check out the weeping demon wah,seems really badass
Empirism  
2 Apr 2011 07:37 | Quote
Finland
That weeping demon seems to be very price friendly, 95 euros on thomann with many cool properties, auto switch on foot etc... thanks for the tip...vs crybaby its like classic vs future XD. Only 20 euros difference is not much with so much better handling...

Emp
case211  
2 Apr 2011 11:24 | Quote
United States
if you are planning on testing out the Ibanez Tube King, I'd suggest trying it with an EQ pedal or a Tubescreamer boosting the front end of the pedal. I'll be the first to admit that wihout something boosting the pedal, it sounds rather "dead"... As soon as you do boost the front of the pedal though(and shape tone to your liking) it becomes a very rich and full sounding distortion. It's not a be all-end all pedal on its own, but it can be very professional(and waaaaay more expensive) sounding with the right gear. Plus it's a very clean bypass; advertised as "true bypass" but I never really use it in the "off" position anyways XD
Sounds sort of like a Marshall and Mesa coming together in one when you can get it just right ;)

All you'd need is a good old fashioned Wah and you're ready to play some Hammett leads! XD

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.