Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

Epiphone Les Paul 100

Instruments and Gear
Mici  
14 Apr 2010 12:43 | Quote
Kosovo
I know a guy in town who's selling his Epiphone Les Paul 100.
What do you think about that guitar? I know it's worse than an Epiphone Les Paul Standard but is it much worse?
He told me he had at a guitar shop to make it all nice and shiny so I don't think I'll be having any just-out-of-the-factory problems.
He's selling it for 250 EUR which I think is about $340. Do you think that's worth the money? Sure, it's much pricier than in any of the countries you might live in but every instrument is pricier here.
Ozzfan486  
14 Apr 2010 14:56 | Quote
United States
Licks: 1
I'd save up to get a high end Epi dude. At the least. They usually run about $500 USD for a decent one. May depend though. I got lucky, mine plays like a low-end Gibson. And yes, I have played Gibsons. Play it though and see if you like it. Unless you REALLY love it though, I'd save up.
adelaideguitar  
14 Apr 2010 15:26 | Quote
Australia
Ive bought 3 Epiphones and they all had different problems ranging from raised frets, broken pickup wiring, a loose nut and they all had loose input jacks. But, I its easy to fix.

But, they work and are solid enough for live playing. I would never take an expensive guitar to a gig. Hey, if it works and you get it for a good price, then go for it.

Ive played the SG Specials and they are a little dodgy, but still better than some Fender Squire Ive played.

Im a big Epiphone fan, but at the end of the day, the sound comes down to how good you are.
Mici  
14 Apr 2010 16:33 | Quote
Kosovo
@Ozzfan:
See, the thing is I won't buy it if I can't sell my current guitar cause I don't have the money and even if I did my parents wouldn't allow me to spend it on a second guitar (or have a second guitar, probably even if it was for free). My current guitar (Cort Z40) is quite cheaper so I'll have to add some money which I have already and I have the patience to wait until I have more so I can buy an Epi Standard (maybe even new) but again, my parents wouldn't allow me to spend so much money.
Thank God I'm so patient so I don't made that at all, cause I know that when I make my own money I can buy whatever I can afford (Gibson Les Paul Standard and Fender Telecaster Deluxe come to mind, even it means I have to save for ages). UNTIL THEN, I can only look for the best cheap guitars and it looks like this is one of them, don't you think?

@AdelaideGuitar:
Since this a used guitar I assume the guy already fixed the problems he might have had cause I've seen him on TV playing live on gigs many times and I don't think he'd do go to a gig with an unreliable guitar.
I'm gonna try it out on Saturday.

adelaideguitar says:
At the end of the day, the sound comes down to how good you are.

I totally agree and I like that kind of Jack White attitude. It's still me that's playing so I'm just trying to get a guitar that I won't regret I bought because I'm spending more time on fixing it than playing it. OK, there are things like pick ups and such that you can't ignore but I think we're on the same frequency on this one.
Domigan_Lefty  
14 Apr 2010 17:02 | Quote
United States
I have an Epi-LP100.
For me the frets are too small and the tone seems dull. Plus theres no whammy, but i think in the only person in the "next generation" who cares about that.

But i still love it. Im gonna mount it on my wall
case211  
15 Apr 2010 09:50 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 2
Licks: 6
Whammy's are highly overrated IMO, I can't seem to ever use them as much I use to WANT to :P cool, but more of a novelty to me, which is why I'm trading my Ibanez away for something without a whammy.
carlsnow  
15 Apr 2010 10:05 | Quote
United States
case211 says:
Whammy's are highly overrated

Amen Case!

but it aint the Whammy-bars 'Fault' its more that the "dive-bomber mentality" has replaced the finesse, i heard growing up. I'm no big VH fan B U T when that first VH LP/cass came out and i heard (aided by Eddie Kramer's stellar Production) that first "THUNK - THUNK - THUNK - THUNK..." intro into 'Runnin' With The Devil' and the following 'Eruption', stoned in the back of a speeding muscle-car; i thought there WAS INDEED "life after Jimi"(for the Whammy).. we have Masters like Jeff Beck and his offspring, Vai (who followed the techniques of another Whammy-God, The Late Great Frank Zappa)

Like any tool , its in how you use it, not, lol, how MUCH ya use it.

(and hey! watch old Neil Young TORTURE his Bigsby some time)

Still, like you (and P Gilbert) I'd much rather BEND than Wham .. but thats juss me.

RAWK!
Cs

Global Disclaimer :
Carl Snow is an old, jaded & slightly bitter old man who cannot be held accountable for anything, much less his opinionatedly opinionated opinions or those of his imaginary friends. We sincerely apologize if this Carl Snow and/or its behavior have infected you or others with its ugly brain and its juices.
case211  
15 Apr 2010 11:12 | Quote
United States
Licks: 6
Haha yeah, I love Eddie :D but it's just not very much my style, like I tend to never use it and when I do, it seems like there's no reason for other than just using it for the sake of using it :P So I'm hopefully going to trade it away for another hard tail guitar, since I like to bend and let my fingers do the work rather than a bar.
They are quite fun and sound very good when used "correctly"(more about placement of the use than actual use) but that's just me, and I don't generally use whammy bars anymore, unless I'm just messing around and making noise XD lol
deadman2k666  
15 Apr 2010 15:08 | Quote
Canada
Lessons: 1
i find with any trem system, you really just have to figure out how to use it. Like after seeing neil young use his bigsby, i bought one for my guitar. hadnt a sweet clue how to use it, thought it was a big expensive mistake. BUT then i figured out how to use it to spice up my chords and ditties.

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.