Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

So... it's been a while since creative juices have flowed...

Songwriting
JustJeff  
7 Nov 2009 12:34 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 2
I've been working on this little tune for a few days now. Still trying to find a decent intro and some kind of solo'ish breakout thing... but this is a great baseline for me to work off of.

This song is called "Sharp Edge", basically the idea that every person has that one sharp edge that will hurt you.

Tell me what you guys think.

Phip  
7 Nov 2009 16:35 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 1
As always you have done a fine job Jeff! very sweet melody even if it is about peoples "darker nature". Finish it, it's a keeper. Playing with some interesting chords on this one? Got a very "james taylorish"
sound to it. I like!
Phip
Ozzfan486  
7 Nov 2009 18:50 | Quote
United States
Licks: 1
I like it man. Really good stuff.

Ozz
JustJeff  
8 Nov 2009 15:22 | Quote
United States
Thanks guys!

@phip:

I was actually in the process of learning another song in an Open G tuning. I used some chord ideas from that song, along with what I heard as I played to write this one. I love the melody that flows through this one... I feel like I need to mix it up a bit, and I have a few ideas in my head...

Just hard to get all the ideas from your head to the guitar. :) I hear it though, and I sort of replace it when I listen to hear how it sounds, so I should get on re-working this piece.

I'm starting to get excited again because one of my friends has access to a new recording studio on campus, and he has a good idea of how to mix/master/record everything, so I may try to get a collaborative EP out with him. Would be cool :)
carlsnow  
8 Nov 2009 16:34 | Quote
United States
JustJeff says:
Open G tuning. I used some chord ideas from that song, along with what I heard as I played to write this one. I love the melody that flows through this one... I feel like I need to mix it up a bit, and I have a few ideas in my head..

lol, was gonna ask "what tuning"? (hey i can be lazy i taught most of the day, lol) and there ya go, did ya alter the G at all?

as for the above quote:
other than the obvious "what tuning"; you praised my favorite thing about it for me (Tune) and added (next sentence) my criticism; I also feel that, as you said, "(You) need to mix it up a bit, and I have a few ideas in my head..."
i agree and would add that the percussive thang stays 'on strict-time' a bit too much.

as for
JustJeff says:

Just hard to get all the ideas from your head to the guitar.

this is true for the first years, don't sweat it Bro! yer 20, Right? you'll be hearing the notes before they are played(should you 'stay the course', you're on, its a good one) in 10-15 years and sometimes hate, lol it.

You remind me of a very young Micheal Hedges, (or Bennsusan(so?))in you nice and physical approach tio your instument!
keep it up!

RAWK!
Cs

JustJeff  
8 Nov 2009 19:01 | Quote
United States
carlsnow says:
don't sweat it Bro! yer 20, Right? you'll be hearing the notes before they are played

21 :)

Thanks for the kind comments and criticisms, cs, I appreciate your words!! Still on the route of finding a teacher... should get around to that.

it's funny you made that comment about the percussive thing. I've been forcing myself to get a constant beat going, and I actually yell at myself for not having that percussive beat on every beat of the song.

When I sat and listened to this song after I recorded it, I was a little disappointed, but I guess I need to mix up the percussion and try some new things out. We'll see what happens!
Mici  
9 Nov 2009 08:26 | Quote
Kosovo
I found that quite nice, really! It got kinda moody, LOL. As for the percussion thing, FOR MY TASTE, it's perfect just the way it is, I like the steady tapping, but again, that's just MY taste, so you do what feels right to you.
And yes, an intro would probably be a good idea, but a very short one, IMO.
Also, what's the benefits of using open G tuning or did you just want to try it out for once (probably not :P)?
Rock on, mate! ;)
foogered  
9 Nov 2009 09:07 | Quote
United States
Licks: 11
As always, very nice playing! You've got some great finger-style going there. Keep it up!
JustJeff  
9 Nov 2009 14:10 | Quote
United States
@mici

I like to use open tunings to help ease the fingering of many chords. It opens up a lot of possibilities to mix up open strings and fretted notes. A lot of what you hear in this song has open strings in it.

Just makes it simpler to play in a key since all the strings have approximately the same pattern.
nater2  
9 Nov 2009 15:38 | Quote
United States
i enjoyed it immensely, i really like this kind of acoustic stuff. good job and honestly i wouldn't change it
Mici  
10 Nov 2009 10:07 | Quote
Kosovo
I see. Thanks!
JazzMaverick  
11 Nov 2009 07:44 | Quote
United Kingdom
Lessons: 24
Licks: 37
Jeff, sorry for the slow reply, I really enjoyed listening to this. Your playing has improved a lot along with your melodic phrasings. Your passion grows more and more every day - keep it up! :D

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.