Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

Timing issues?

Technique
case211  
1 Nov 2009 01:22 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 2
Licks: 6
okay, don't mean to be a total newbie with this but, anyone got any tips on using a metronome to help improve timing with things? I know that you set up a metronome and play with it in time which i have been doing for the last 4 months or so and whenever I record... but I haven't gotten better in my timing, though my technique has improved. which is more aggravating than ever before, when i was young and had no concept of time(lol jk).

Well, if you have any tips, or advice for alternate usage of the 'nomes to help me out, please do tell, that is a major area that I want to improve in.

Thanks
guitarmastergod  
1 Nov 2009 01:56 | Quote
Canada
i could recomend exercises for alternate picking if that helps you at all? the only thing i can recomend to help with your timing is to play along with songs, thats what i did.
Empirism  
1 Nov 2009 04:34 | Quote
Finland
Lessons: 4
Start with 80 tempo. when I listened your songs, I notice you have same problem that I have. I make it too hurry at times when I play. When you play at slow tempo, you have time to consentrate your chops.

I think its more matter of consentration than any big problem and it only need playing, practising and time. Just practise slow, gradually increase tempo and Im sure you will get there. Have a patience.

Like gmg said, alternative picking is a good way to do it and remember to pay attention to fingerings. Good luck m8.

also when you are practising, practise with easy songs or easy chord progression and scales, so what you play is from the spine to make your practise more effective.

Empirism
Domigan_Lefty  
1 Nov 2009 07:32 | Quote
United States
Always. Always. On EVERYTHING.
Start slow, and slowly speed up
case211  
1 Nov 2009 08:49 | Quote
United States
thanks guys

i'll use what you said with the slower speed too emp
fender_bender  
1 Nov 2009 08:57 | Quote
United States
Sometimes if you double the tempo or set it to 8th notes to get more clicks in there it helps. Or play along with a drum loop that fits the song instead of a click track. Didn't you say you had a digitech rp pedal? I had one of those and it had a drum machine built in. Find the pattern you like the best that fits your song. Set the desired tempo. Then record just the drum machine on a seperate track. Use it as your click. Record your guitar to a different track and there you go. Then you can delete the drum machine track (unless you want it there).
case211  
1 Nov 2009 09:16 | Quote
United States
Thanks fender, but I actually just traded my rp90 with a few other things for an EMG 81 and a J-80 pickup... I have yet to install them, but I'm going to shoot for today or even tomorrow in Systems Technology.

I do have drum tracks in Garage Band on my laptop that I use regularly whether I record or just play.

i'll definitely try the faster tempo and 8th notes
thanks man
carlsnow  
1 Nov 2009 10:45 | Quote
United States
@ Case
Case! ...no problem w/ the Gnome

try these (have student at 12 so trying to get this in fast)

Metro-Gnomes are great for 'strict-tempo' but do not confuse that with Rhythm or Beat.. Which come from your soul.
STILL
They help the soul by way of confidence--when you are confident in the chords/etc yer playing it will show and your rhythm will improve drastically.

Take a few of these and call me in the morning:
Set the Gnome slow
Empirism mentioned 80…80 is good but I’d like you to take it down to 40.
Playing “on the click’ @40bpm is far far more difficult than laying at 190/etc and will help you get a very clean 200bpm in this way.

Gnome is on 40
@ 40bpm you will hear every millisecond you are ‘off” VERY clearly, I would suggest starting with a chord progression(add Scales once ‘settled’) and playing one chord per click (do not smash your Plank or cuss yourself when y miss a LOT of the clicks, its more than normal. I mean hell, Case; I’ve been doing this for damn near 35 years and playing to a Gnome on 40bpm STILL messes with muh head! Lol

After 30 min or so move up to 60bpm … Chords and scales

After 15 min or so move up to 70bpm … Chords and scales

After 15 min or so move up to 80bpm … Chords and scales
And so on and so forth … until your hands fall off.

After you do this ^^^ for a few months, try moving the Gnome, after a 60pm to 80bpm warm-up (at least 30 min) up to 140 and play.. You will freak!! (post me in a month lol) CAUSE “it” will be there and easier.

Don’t let that make you drop the 40bpm-etc stuff, you still need that.

Slow Gnomes do not lie, they CLICK! When you are ‘off’ and you can tell so easily that your off. Whereas Gnomes on 190 Lie a lot, as its harder, way harder to HEAR when and where you derailed, Dig?

Also (outta time) Play James Brown Live at the Apollo, or Sex Machine or some Parliament Funkadelic…. And play OVER it while remaining “inside” the tune, it’ll help your groove-bone big-time.

Have a student pulling up may PM ya ….

I hope this helped ya Brotha!

…and PLEASE remember , above all to..
RAWK!
Cs

case211  
1 Nov 2009 10:57 | Quote
United States
thanks carl, I'll defnintely use those. I owe you like 10 karma by now don't I? lol

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.