Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

Kind of something that I need to talk about

General Chat
Littlewing  
5 Dec 2008 17:56 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 3
Licks: 5
Alot of times I don't know what I should do with my playing. This is one of those times. Part of me wants to study Jazz and get a major in composition while another part of me wants to study classical and be a professor. What do you suggest I lean towards? And By the way, I'm 13 :).
foogered  
5 Dec 2008 18:12 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 2
Licks: 11
Do both, you've got plenty of time.
Littlewing  
5 Dec 2008 18:18 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 3
Licks: 5
It doesn't feel like I have alot of time.
BodomBeachTerror  
5 Dec 2008 18:19 | Quote
Canada
Licks: 1
pick one to do first, then do the other, dont have to do them at the same time
telecrater  
5 Dec 2008 21:02 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 8
Littlewing says:
It doesn't feel like I have alot of time.

Why do you have a life threatening illness and only have a limited amount of time left? Or are you going to quit playing when your 45?

I think what ever you choose will lead you to the same place. why does it have to be either or or? Like foogered why not do both. Even if you studied jazz and composition it does not mean you cannot be come a professor.

patleh  
5 Dec 2008 22:05 | Quote
United States
seems like I am the only one who will actually give you an answer. My advice is classical. Master it. Become the guv'na as I call it. I say this because I have a lot more respect for classical guitarists.
JazzMaverick  
6 Dec 2008 04:09 | Quote
United Kingdom
Lessons: 24
Licks: 37
I'm doing a number of genres at once, since I need to in order to become a decent film composer.

For now, I think focusing on classical for you would help out. Though don't lose interest in Jazz! My reason is different than prtleh's. Basically, Jazz is really complicated, so for now work on some good classical stuff, make sure you're comfortable, and when you feel you're ok to move on or take them both then work towards Jazz. It'll be a lot easier than jumping right into Jazz.

Jazz originated from Classical, so I think it's good to understand why.

I'm actually quite glad to hear you're only 13. You're learning a lot as it is, and by the time you reach my age you'll be amazing I'm sure of it. Keep it up and never give up even though it can be tough sometmies.
Empirism  
6 Dec 2008 05:22 | Quote
Finland
Lessons: 4
this is a complicated case that comes to deciding. Im pretty much behind what foogered said. If I think differences, if you head for classical, Im sure that you improve your technique a lot. Lot more that if you head for jazz first.

If you decide Jazz, it will improve your improvisation and song making abilities. Anyway, you are still young and when it comes to Jazz as an career. Isnt the career we usually want it to be?. Jazz artists perform in smokey clubs and such mostly that are very much for older people.

So if you decide go classical now, you have atleast 5-7 years to practise classical before you move to Jazz if you like both. So I honestly think that if you like classical at least a little. At that time you should lean to that way. It will give a solid ground for technical as well as theoretical guitar and musical mastery.

With that background you have more changes to hit to the even top in genre you will choose. If its Jazz, after 7 years you could be a promising youngster still so no doubt you have still a plenty of time.

Cheers
Empirism

good luck m8, you have talent to succeed
RA  
6 Dec 2008 12:14 | Quote
United States
do what feels right to you for your the only one that can truly decide it don't matter want any one else thinks. just make sure you make a choice you can always change. your not short of time but if you sit around wondering life will pass you bye. trust me i wasted a year of my life wondering what i should do. the trick is just to get out there and try. if you don't like one jump to the other just make sure you learning the theory and not just becoming the best sight reader(not saying it a bad thing to be able to do).
patleh  
6 Dec 2008 12:16 | Quote
United States
But seriously dud just do both it would groovy either way.
JazzMaverick  
6 Dec 2008 13:01 | Quote
United Kingdom
Lessons: 24
Licks: 37
Realistically he needs to start with one then work towards the other when he's comfortable.
youre_dumb  
7 Dec 2008 21:01 | Quote
I think you should study classical in collage.Though i am for warning you it is very hard to get into school on a guitar major. One of my friends is an amazing player but he didn't make it because of his posture and how his finger nails were cut. It is easier to pick up jazz by yourself in my opinion.
JustJeff  
8 Dec 2008 10:55 | Quote
United States
You're 13... and you think you don't have a lot of time left?

God... you are too young to be thinking that far ahead. Don't do what you think will help you do better in an academic standpoint: Do what you feel is better for you to progress as a musician.

My personal belief is that classical would be better to start now, as you will learn the rules of music as created by those who mastered it all those years ago. You can always transgress into Jazz... and it seems like that would be the better transition.
jcb3000  
8 Dec 2008 11:23 | Quote
United Kingdom
I recon Classical would kick ass. plus you can develop techniques from that and then incorporate the two when you get round to it but definately dont cut off the other genre. do a mix. put it this way, if you were to pick your own lessons at school you wouldnt want to just pick one and do it solidly. pretty soon it would get boring. so yeah mix and match :P

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.