Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

s o s

Beginners
yasmin  
13 Sep 2008 09:31 | Quote
Jordan
how many chords is there??????????
i have been trying to learn chords for over amonth and i just know alittle!!!!!
i just wanna know what chords should i learn as a beginner,and is it too late for me to start (at 18)?
EMB5490  
13 Sep 2008 09:34 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 1
Licks: 1
n not too late, its very hard to learn chords at first, just do the easy normall used ones. just learn the majors and the minor chords. thts all u really need, dont bother with the jazz chords untill u got those down.
yasmin  
13 Sep 2008 09:53 | Quote
Jordan
i know iam very boring and all
but i have learned the majors & minor chords & 7th &5th what more??
Phip  
13 Sep 2008 09:53 | Quote
United States
@yasmin,
It's never too late. I'm elderly and i'm learning too (started last year after i got my letter from AARP). Help is on the way, look, here it comes now!
Go to www.justinguitar.com and look at the beginners course. there you will find everything you want to know (and some things you don't) along with cool video guides.
Now, don't forget to come back and let us know how you are progressing, and to ask questions too ok?
cheers,
Phip
Afro_Raven  
13 Sep 2008 10:42 | Quote
United Kingdom
Here is a list of chords you should learn:

Major (open & barre)
Minor (open & barre)
Major7
Minor7
Dominant7

Don't learn the barre chords first, your fingers won't quite be developed enough to hold the strings down properly, and it'll probably be quite painful too! Just try and get the open chords down so you're really fluent. You should also practice switching between chords.

Hope that helps!

Afro
JazzMaverick  
13 Sep 2008 10:46 | Quote
United Kingdom
Lessons: 24
Licks: 37
Don't worry Yas, everyone starts somewhere, doesn't matter how old or young you are, Music is entertainment, something we enjoy and it can be picked up whenever you want.

Phip's site that he's just given is pretty helpful.

If you ever need help just ask us and we'll be glad to do what we can. :D

There are thousands of chords, the reason for this is that there are different positions of the same chord, that's the reason why chords look different. (Not for every chord, mind you) Just have an open mind and enjoy what you're doing! :D

Nightmare  
13 Sep 2008 15:46 | Quote
Lebanon
I have the same exact problem even worse.. im 18 an im starting to play really good, but i dun even know how to learn chords :( its really devastating
Phip  
13 Sep 2008 16:04 | Quote
United States
Nightmare says:
I have the same exact problem even worse.. im 18 an im starting to play really good, but i dun even know how to learn chords :( its really devastating

That's really interesting, and I think, typical of many younger players though i could be wrong (please no hate mail).
so when you sit down to play you are practicing lead parts and cool riffs but you never strum the chords to a song?
All I've been doing for the last year is really playing chords and some "filler" notes. I want to be able to sit down by myself and play a song all the way through for my own pleasure and maybe sing along with it. For the most part that's all i've been doing. I couldn't play lead to save my own life, and yet there are other people who play only lead parts and no chords. (yeah, Phip they call it a band, moron). Strange but I started out wanting to learn lead. I figured i'd hook up with someone who could play rhythm, but that hasn't happened yet.
At this point i'm ready to play around with riffs and leads so i'm pumping myself up to read the lessons on scales and modes etc.
My suggestion is to pick out some songs you would like to play and look up the chords here in the section above and slowly learn each chord. there are plenty of people here to help you work on the proper way to "finger" a chord.
Phip
JazzMaverick  
13 Sep 2008 16:09 | Quote
United Kingdom
Lessons: 24
Licks: 37
Nightmare,

I think it's just generally because the music you listen to doesn't really play chords. I mean no offense here. "Peace be with you"

If you're interested in playing chords, check out the basics like what Afro said.

Exactly what Phip said, we'll always be here to help whenever you need it! :D
BodomBeachTerror  
13 Sep 2008 16:53 | Quote
Canada
Lessons: 2
once ur done most of the chords you can start learning some scales.. which for me is the fun part
Nightmare  
14 Sep 2008 10:07 | Quote
Lebanon
'JazzMaverick i totally agree with u, the music i listen to doesnt really help

That's really interesting, and I think, typical of many younger players though i could be wrong (please no hate mail).
so when you sit down to play you are practicing lead parts and cool riffs but you never strum the chords to a song?

100% true

im gonna try my best to learn the chords ..thanks all
les_paul  
14 Sep 2008 21:43 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 3
Licks: 2
@ afro

I know all the major, minor, major 7th, and minor 7th but I can't find the Dominant7 on this site am I just over looking it and if so can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
GRX40  
14 Sep 2008 21:47 | Quote
United States
^ Dominant 7th is the same as 7th. So Gdominant7 = G7. :)

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.