Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

tips to writing music

Songwriting
kellenman  
8 Sep 2008 21:07 | Quote
United States
im sick of covers... ive been wanting to learn how to write music so ive been studying music theory and it has helped me alot, but i still dont know where or how to start writing. So why dont you people tell me where you start and how you go about writing. by the way im not too concerned about lyrics, but if lyrical advice need be said, say it.
TheAmericanBrit  
8 Sep 2008 21:09 | Quote
United States
Write about your life. That's what I do.
kellenman  
8 Sep 2008 21:12 | Quote
United States
i mean, when you write a song, where do you start... do you look at a scale and fool around with the chords within it or does it just come to you? i just dont get how popular artists can write so many good songs, they have got to know something i dont and i plan on figuring out what that is...

besides, my life is boring
BodomBeachTerror  
8 Sep 2008 21:28 | Quote
Canada
Lessons: 2
Licks: 1
just play around, find something that u like, then build off that
kellenman  
8 Sep 2008 21:37 | Quote
United States
sense i dont know every chord in a given scale i find myself on the scales to chords tab clicking some chords untill i find a melody i like, then copy paste the scale with the first highligted chord of the melody to a paint doc., then the second and so on untill i have like 6 of the same scale with different chords highlighted in each one and assign each one a measure or two- what ever fits the melody, turn on a mental metronome and then just jam off that...

do i have the right idea?
is there a better/easier way to do this?
TheAmericanBrit  
8 Sep 2008 22:22 | Quote
United States
Some of the greatest songs were the simplest. Me, I just play what's in my collection.

Often times, I'll remember something I heard in a movie when I was little, and I'll re-create it.

For me, I just have ideas that are in my head.

I write about experiences, my life, The Lord, people, etc.

One of the greatest songs I've ever heard was written about people - It said "We need each other through all the highs and lows - We need each other cause no one's meant to be alone".

JazzMaverick  
9 Sep 2008 14:37 | Quote
United Kingdom
Lessons: 24
Licks: 37
It depends really Kellenman, You don't really need to learn how to write music to make new songs. You could use music programs, and compose by ear, too. The ear training is really important. Music theory is great to learn though. But don't think of it as a set rule, you're allowed to break the key and use notes that aren't in it. Experiment, have fun with what you're making.

Possibly an easier way, hum the tunes, learn how to play them and make it that way? Might be cool.

I wrote a topic about some chords program which might be helpful to you. The topic's called "Efortless Concentration"
league  
9 Sep 2008 18:01 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 2
Do not play about your life unless its interesting. LOL . I agree with Skold that try to keep your songs simple but not too simple. Well I guess it depends on the mood of the song.
baudelaire  
9 Sep 2008 22:30 | Quote
Brazil
it's going to take effort.

also, why has no one mentioned that he should be studying songs???

that is how you learn. you look at songs you really admire, and you take notes on them. dissect every single part of them to understand how they work - like taking apart a watch. learn what makes it tick. if you don't know where to start trying at that point... wash, rinse, repeat.
Heather  
10 Sep 2008 05:19 | Quote
United Kingdom
Licks: 2
FInd some good lines from anywhere and expand it, even if you have to make it fictional.
les_paul  
10 Sep 2008 17:00 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 3
I like songs that are real. Tell about something real or a real life experience or feeling. Think about what you want to get across, write note on your ideas so you don't forget them and once you have it worked out in your head put it into song form.

The chord progression is very important when it comes to getting your feelings across. You kinda have to learn to talk with your guitar. Make people feel what you are trying to get across without saying a word.

A quote about music from my profile:

"It can cut through the years and take you back to a place in your past, or it can set a new bench mark for you to revisit in the future. Music is a powerful thing."
baudelaire  
10 Sep 2008 20:19 | Quote
Brazil
the harmonic progression should be a natural extension of the melodic movement. you should write out the melody first; then work out, without a guitar, a good harmonization of it. then, once it is written on a staff in front of you, pick up your guitar and make changes for playing it on guitar.

chordal/harmonic progressions are a calculated thing; they're something study and practice will make you better at; a good harmonization is the result of mathematical application of knowledge. melody... melody is mysterious, the divine gift of the muses, and you ought to spend a few minutes each day simply thinking of melodies in your head, then putting them to a instrument. melody is the true aspect of musical art; harmony is the musical science.
TheAmericanBrit  
10 Sep 2008 20:39 | Quote
United States
^

lol wut? I don't understand your fancy edumacated lerninz and such.
kellenman  
10 Sep 2008 20:57 | Quote
United States
i fully understand, and i appreciate the help
soy.el.che  
11 Sep 2008 21:39 | Quote
Mexico
Lessons: 1
dont sleep. grab ur guitar n play random shit while recording.... im sure something great will come out of that
sing a story, a your story. write. never stop writting, youll improve.
rock n roll. peace☮
remember love the beatles play hendrix. go out, travel. imagine. theres another life inside of all of us, thats your story, a story that you make up, thats ur life. sometimes, im sure theres an original melody riding up n down in ur memory, in ur brain, sometimes its a phrase with words, without music or complete... write it down, record yourself singin it, be yourself, be what you need to be, become what you desire then write it

srry. guys, i was inspired
les_paul  
11 Sep 2008 22:22 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 3
Totally feel you soy.

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.