Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

your setup?

Instruments and Gear
baudelaire  
3 Sep 2008 02:03 | Quote
Brazil
for practice in my room, i have a 25 watt fender frontman i run a boss br532 through, i use it for tentative recording. in the garage, as a moniter for my boss BR-532, i have a 100 watt fender frontman. i use it as a monitor cause it's cheap and loud, the tone doesn't matter when you're only using the line in. i don't think i've ever actually played the 100 watt fender. i need to get a better recorder, one that has a hard drive and CD burner... so you guys can hear my songs.

now, my actual live setup is as follows.

my guitars: a squier tele affinity with fender samarium noiseless pickups, and upgraded electic system. a epiphone SG-400 with seymour duncan JB in the bridge and a 59 classic in the neck, upgraded electrics as well.

i have a shure SM57 for micing my amp for recording. i have a shure sm58 for my voice, and some nady SP5s for backup.

my signal chain is:

guitar

zoom g9 multi effects board. it does EVERYTHING. and sounds great. it has 2 12ax7 tubes in it as a preamp.

a electro harmonix LPB 2ube stereo preamp, with 2 12ax7 tubes. i run a cable into 2 amp heads and turn the volume on it up so the signal is normal guitar level for the heads. also, i can have STEREO EFFECTS. which kick ass, by the way. the preamp REALLY beefs up the sound and gives it a great depth.

2 crate v100h 100 watt tube heads. i rarely use the drive channel, i simply don't see the point when my MFX board produces a much nicer sound. and i can go from marshall scooped rhythm to a mesa triple rec lead and everything in between with it. the clean channel is very, very nice on these heads. they're built like tanks. 200 watts into a full stack gives me the volume and headroom i need. and they are cheap as hell.

they each go into their own Behringer 4x12 400 watt angled ultrastack cabs. these cabs are great... completely clear and perfect reproduction of whatever they're fed. they have no 'coloring' of your tone whatsoever, which is perfect for my, "great tube modeling tone into great tube clean" approach. and, they only cost 250. they're also completely invincible.

now, because i both sing and play guitar, i also have a vocal rig. from my microphone, the signal goes to a alesis multimix 8 line. then alesis 3630 compressor. then a ART EQ-531 equalizer. then a samson servo 200 watt power amp. the amp drives another behringer ultrastack.

all this fits into a SKB rack. which could survive a nuclear blast...

my boss dr-880 drum machine goes straight from the mixer to the power amp.

the other person in my band actually has the exact same guitar setup, except he uses les pauls. our sounds blend together perfectly, and yet sound unique because of the different guitars, and the massive tweakability of the G9 MFX board.

we set up our cabs in a row behind us, with the one in the middle being for drums and voice, and us on either side with our heads on top of our cabs. it's powered by a stage ninja extension cord, which has a outlet every 5 feet. there is a power condition between that and the wall. we use mostly HOSA and fender cables, whatever has a metal jack and is cheap. we use fender celluloid heavy picks and ernie ball regular slinkies.

the next improvement is going to be on the digital recording aspect... after that, i'd like to get a ESP LTD explorer and put my seymours in it, and a viper, and get some p90s for it. my bandmate will get the ESP LTD les paul, with some dimarzo pickups.

then, to be quite honest, i think we'll be done. our tone will be perfect, i really don't see where it could go, even after we go pro. maybe higher quality rack gear, but that's not necessary. it was surprisingly cheap, as well... both of us combined, over the course of a year and a half, probably only spent about 4,500. thats for a entire live rig that can record and play for crowds of around 200. not bad at all.

so, what's your setup?
lance  
3 Sep 2008 06:00 | Quote
United States
gotta have pics of all that goodness.

at work i leave a fender frontman 15g
i travel with my vox ad30vt
my primary rig though never gigged is

5W blackheart head w/bitmo triple bypass mod
marshall VS412A cab
custom handmade birchwood 2x12 w/celestion G12H-30's

sold the marshall head already.

foogered  
3 Sep 2008 08:01 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 2
Licks: 11

Here's a picture of my set up (when everything is working).

Guitar:
Gibson ES-335
Ibanez S470DXQM

Pedal Chain:
Snarling Dog Mold Spore (Currently in for repairs)
Moog MF-101 Ring Modulator (With an EP-1 Expression Pedal on the far right)
Boss BD-2 Blues Driver
Boss DD-6 Digital Delay
Boss RC-2 Loop Station (When practicing)

Amplifier:
Peavey Deuce (2x12, 120w, all tubes)

Of course I'm at college right now, so for an amp I'm using a 15w Roland MicroCube cause the Deuce weighs about 60lbs and occupies quite a bit of space.

What kind of music does your band play, and have you recorded anything? That's a pretty massive set up, to say the least :P
Empirism  
3 Sep 2008 16:50 | Quote
Finland
Lessons: 4
Ive been getting a new quitar and ive thought Epiphone SG 400 too, what you think of it?
GRX40  
3 Sep 2008 16:57 | Quote
United States
Licks: 1
Mine is pretty simple:

Ibanez Gio GRX40 -> Ibanez TS-9 Tubescreamer -> Fender Champ 600

My acoustic is a Yamaha FG730S.

My next purchases will probably be a wah pedal, a new guitar, and looper or delay pedal (most likely the looper for practice). I'm also considering getting a 1x12 cab for practice, and using the Champ as a head so I can get better clarity. The Champ's 6" speaker gets somewhat muddy using overdrive at higher volumes.

EDIT: @ Foogered, is the 335 new? I didn't know you had one. I love those guitars. :)
EMB5490  
3 Sep 2008 17:02 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 1
i dont like the epi sgs...i have a epi les paul plus top through a vox ad15vt-xl amp, and gona get a new one.
brodyxhollow  
3 Sep 2008 17:51 | Quote
United States
Furman Pedal Board.
My chain is:
Jackson Dinky
Crybaby Classic Wah
DS-1 Distortion
SD-1 Overdrive
DD-3 Delay
Digitech JamMan
Peavey Bandit 112. I forget the Wattage, I think its 75.
Ill post pics if I get the chance.
TheAmericanBrit  
3 Sep 2008 18:11 | Quote
United States
Ibanez GRX40
Shotty Practice Amp
Roland VS-880 Digital Workstation (X-Panded)

Pretty much it.
BodomBeachTerror  
3 Sep 2008 18:22 | Quote
Canada
Jackson JS30 RR Rhoads
Digitech RP150
Sony Headphones

sometimes i use a Marshal Lead 12 amp, but mainly i just plug my headphones into the pedal
joe  
3 Sep 2008 18:32 | Quote
United Kingdom
shitty jim deacon les paul copy but soon to be prs se singlecut into

vox valvetronix 30advt

sometimes into my zoom effects pedal but not often.

baudelaire  
3 Sep 2008 18:51 | Quote
Brazil
epi SG's are fine guitars, if you replace the pups, the electronics, and have it set up. oil the fretboard, too.

if you can't afford new pickups, wax potting them actually makes them sound a lot better, for some reason. besides the obvious advantages.

epiphones quality control is more stable at the moment then gibsons, i hear. and you're really getting more for your money with a epi SG then a gibson.
foogered  
3 Sep 2008 19:06 | Quote
United States
Yep, I was going to buy one used, but then I just opted to go for a brand new one. They are absolutely amazing guitars! It's probably the most versatile guitar I've ever played.
Crunch  
3 Sep 2008 20:19 | Quote
United States
My main setup is a Schecter C-1 Classic-DigiTech Distortion/Overdrive-Dunlop CryBaby-150 Watt Spider III. The guitar is one of the best I've ever played, taking the price into account-it blows everything straight to kingdom come. The DigiTech is a pretty good pedal, not a Boss, but the store didn't have their Distortion/Overdrive (or even just overdrive). CryBaby is great, solidly built, good sound. The amp is versatile, loud, and, for me, the tone is fine. However, I've never been a real stickler on tone. The presets on it are really fun to play around with too.

I might add a higher-end Stratocaster (American, Amercan Deluxe) to that in the near future as well. My acoustic, which I've never mic'd or anything, is a Yamaha FS-310.
TheAmericanBrit  
3 Sep 2008 20:31 | Quote
United States
I'm thinking about getting this: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-by-Fender-Vintage-Modified-Telecaster-SSH-Electric-Guitar-512574-i1172568.gc

this: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-by-Fender-Vintage-Modified-Precision-Bass-TB-519758-i1276125.gc

and this: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-Spider-III-75-75W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp-103944773-i1168992.gc
GRX40  
3 Sep 2008 21:18 | Quote
United States
foogered says:
Yep, I was going to buy one used, but then I just opted to go for a brand new one. They are absolutely amazing guitars! It's probably the most versatile guitar I've ever played.

Yeh, I've been thinking about the Epiphone Dot, which is more or less the Epi version of the 335. Maybe I'll spring for a Gibson when I have $2000... and a job. :)
TheAmericanBrit  
3 Sep 2008 21:23 | Quote
United States
Haha, I would only buy a Gibson because of what it shows: I can afford the top name brand guitars.

Quite honestly, I'd rather an Epiphone Dot with new Seymour Duncan pups.
foogered  
3 Sep 2008 22:12 | Quote
United States
That's the kind of person I am :D

I haven't had the pleasure of playing the Epiphone 335, but you get your money's worth with the Gibson 335, so it's no big sacrifice to let go of the money that I was saving to buy a new guitar anyway. I wanted something damn good, damn suited to my experience and style, and damn well-built.
baudelaire  
3 Sep 2008 23:23 | Quote
Brazil
NO, don't get the epi dot... just don't. they're bad guitars, all around. if you want a 300-500 dollar semihollow, go for a ibanez, if you want to spend another 1-200 hundred, ESP LTD has a AWESOME semihollow... with a bigsby tremelo! it kicks ass 3 ways in one direction, and it looks so damned slick you'd swear it cost 2 grand.
TheAmericanBrit  
3 Sep 2008 23:50 | Quote
United States
Opinions, opinions, opinions...

Remember, one man's trash is another man's treasure.
baudelaire  
4 Sep 2008 00:20 | Quote
Brazil
well, i'll tell you this; i played one set up by the guy that sets up MY guitars. he's really good. the thing was horribly hard to play. the tone not only was unimpressive, but instead of having that semihollow sound, it had a flaky sound. terrible frets, the fretboard feels like it's made out of plywood. the paint job was sloppy and tacky. awful.
TheAmericanBrit  
4 Sep 2008 00:58 | Quote
United States
Here's the thing - Quality in Epiphones vary EXTREMELY. Most everyone who knows anything about Epiphone can tell you that.
baudelaire  
4 Sep 2008 01:51 | Quote
Brazil
i suppose... i've never seen a flubbed epi SG, though. the higher rate of failures on the semihollow is understandable.
TheAmericanBrit  
4 Sep 2008 01:54 | Quote
United States
Yeah.

I prefer Ibanez and such to Epiphone, anyway.
JazzMaverick  
4 Sep 2008 09:31 | Quote
United Kingdom
Lessons: 24
Licks: 37
Late reply to this conversation but my gear is:

Epiphone SG - plays beautifully
Peavy amp Bandit 112 (but better than the one online)- LOVE the tones!!
Takstar TS-600 Headphones

Don't really know the specks. Would love to learn but would have no clue where to start.
TheAmericanBrit  
4 Sep 2008 14:35 | Quote
United States
A buddy of mine has the blue Epiphone SG-400. Says it's great.

JazzMaverick  
4 Sep 2008 15:23 | Quote
United Kingdom
Lessons: 24
Licks: 37
I love to play on them, they're great for Jazz guitarists, I'd say. Really nice fretboart and thickness, just right for my tiny hands. :D haha. Also easy to wax and re-string.

Although, a Rainbow 1 is awesome too. Massive body, but really nice tone. (Semi acoustic)
ironman91313  
4 Sep 2008 17:03 | Quote
United States
starter guitar into starter amp.

be jealous
TheAmericanBrit  
4 Sep 2008 17:06 | Quote
United States
Haha, nice one, Ron.

Empirism  
6 Sep 2008 03:03 | Quote
Finland
Lessons: 4
Epi dot was my second choise, but I think I choose SG anyway, cuz I think its versality is more to my needs.
telecrater  
6 Sep 2008 06:53 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 8
baudelaire says:
NO, don't get the epi dot... just don't. they're bad guitars, all around. if you want a 300-500 dollar semihollow, go for a ibanez, if you want to spend another 1-200 hundred, ESP LTD has a AWESOME semihollow... with a bigsby tremelo! it kicks ass 3 ways in one direction, and it looks so damned slick you'd swear it cost 2 grand.

Epi dots are not bad guitars, I own one and love it. It's the only guitar i'm playing right now. just get it setup for what you play. but you have to do this with any guitar. I got mine 2nd hand but if you get it new talk the sales guy to throwing a pro setup in with the purchase.

My setup is just for pactice...

Epiphone Dot or Fender Strat or sigma Acoustic or Ibanez Les Paul or gibson marauder plugged int vox ac30 electronics or Johnson jstation

It's mostly the dot and the vox love the woody airy sound out of the two.
keniemn  
6 Sep 2008 10:21 | Quote
United States
ive got my "84" kramer i play through a tiny littel squire 15g(aint much loud enough to piss off the naihbors)
and a couple modeling pedales that i pretty much just use the tuners on ,havent been playin long enough to really know how to use them
Littlewing  
1 Oct 2008 21:05 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 3
Licks: 5
Stratocaster equipped with a Firebird mini-humbucker.
Fleshtone tube customs- 200 watts. Modeled after a Marshall circuits.
Boss DD-7 delay.
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
Dunlop Classic Wah.
Banshee talkbox.
Nightmare  
1 Oct 2008 21:27 | Quote
Lebanon
'foogered: awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeessssooomeee stuff except for the Snarling Dog

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.