Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

Recording Order

General Chat
btimm  
23 Jan 2013 19:06 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 2
Licks: 1
Once I finally get things situated, I plan on recording a song. I have the main guitar portion ready to go and would need to write a bass line and drums and maybe a lead solo, along with vocals. If I can get recording issues squared away, I am hoping to actually have something for you all by the end of February or early March! That lead me to thinking and I have a question for you.

What order do you use to record? Since I would be using EZdrummer for the drums for now, it would seem like I should start with the drums, since that would be perfectly steady and be almost like a metronome for my other pieces of the song? Then maybe bass, guitar, lead, vocals? I thought that if I did say rhythm guitar first, and then drums, there would be a chance that it would be off a little, since I doubt I would be perfectly steady in my guitar playing. What do you all do?
case211  
24 Jan 2013 09:56 | Quote
United States
Licks: 6
Okay, first you need to lay down drum tracks(hard to jam to a click with no changes-plus drums are the metronome in a song). Second you'll probably want to move to the bass line(if its a simple one it shouldn't take too long). Finally you will want to lay down the guitars-rhythm's first(double track them-meaning play the rhythms one time for the right channel and one time for the left channel). Then once you have laid down all rhythm for the song you have a choice-either finish the leads that need to be done or move to vocals(either one is going to feel like it takes forever), just be prepared to really do a lot of takes at this point of the recording process(vocals and solos are the two things people will immediately notice anything wrong with).
Once the tracks are laid down then get some decent monitors or nice headphones(probably not earbuds unless nescessary) and then mix it to where you like it. Personally I love the mixing process because you can totally change the sounds within a song to make it seem like something completely different-for example try bumping the bass up a little bit in the track and leave the guitars a little bit lower than you might want to, it can really accentuate the groove of the tune versus the riff.
Anyways, just some ideas(and the order is how my band will record things). Hopefully everything is smooth when it comes time to start tracking.
What you had an idea of how to record before is honestly perfect for(most of the time-sometimes you will have a solo acoustic guitar piece to record).

Case
thatguitarguy  
25 Jan 2013 09:56 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 1
^^^ exactly what I do. or used to... when I had a drum machine and a bass player...
carlsnow  
26 Jan 2013 12:48 | Quote
United States
EKKKKKK!!!!!!
Case, how it been goin' were still pals and all put if ya ever sa this
case211 says:
Once the tracks are laid down then get some decent monitors or nice headphones(probably not earbuds unless nescessary) and then mix it to where you like it.

AGAIN...
I will be force to let the Mastering Engineer section of my psyche, hunt you down and kill you !
'RRRR'

(nudge wink)

RAWK!
Cs

"Mix with headphones & Carl will slap ya upside the head with a Carp !!!"-"He weird like that!"
nullnaught  
26 Jan 2013 15:51 | Quote
@carlsnow. What is wrong with mixing with headphones?
Empirism  
26 Jan 2013 17:07 | Quote
Finland
Lessons: 4
Recording order... well, thats interesting question imo... Case have pretty solid order there, I use that a lot but do riffs often before bass, but depends what is your approach to song to record. Is it written already, or do you "jam" that song. Do it focus melody or a Riff or vocal maybe... they are all the questions that may affect the "recording order" and thats why that also affect the "result"

@Null

because the professionals, they just never do that :). Because you cant get best result with headphones + you kill your ears quite easily with that... Reason for that is a quite a story, but... that way it is. Really.
btimm  
26 Jan 2013 18:49 | Quote
United States
My understanding null is that with studio minutes, you hear more of the lower frequencies and they don't "pretty" the sound up like regular speakers of headphones will. Basically, what you hear when mixing, if you don't use studio monitors, is NOT what will be heard in your car when playing the tune. But I could be off here. I have been doing a lot d researching and am fairly overwhelmed with the information out there, hahaha. But I'd rather learn now with all the info on the net than try to learn 20-30 years ago. I feel like I have a reasonable chance to make good music now, probably now 20-30 years ago. lol
carlsnow  
26 Jan 2013 22:03 | Quote
United States
btimm says:
My understanding null is that with studio minutes, you hear more of the lower frequencies and they don't "pretty" the sound up like regular speakers of headphones will. Basically, what you hear when mixing, if you don't use studio monitors, is NOT what will be heard in your car when playing the tune.

On the money .. btimm !

Loudspeakers, HiFi's, Headphones ...etc
Give a false sense of , well (dont wanna hit 3 pages lol)
will LIE TO YOU
...Sob!..Tia true
If you do not own professional studio monitors, your best bet is the sound system you listen to most.
Refer Mixes to This and a really lame stereo source __ Car-Mp3-MePhobe/etc...
IF the mix sounds good on BOTH systems . its likely that the Mix is 'even'.
Headphones(hurl)are best left to over-dubs an such
H-Phones give no depth -- raises low-mid's exaggerates Mids and pumps Mid-Highs--Unless you spend 600bucks on those 'Cans' and even then (dismissing Forensic Analysis)
The Stereo "Image " will always be misrepresented by the law of physics.
Waves (sound) only 'mature' in "space" .. as Bass waves will travel longer spaces than Mid's which travel a bit faster than those Highs.

Its all a matter of time and s p a c e

RAWK!
C

nullnaught  
27 Jan 2013 00:02 | Quote
@btimm What do you mean by studio minutes?
btimm  
27 Jan 2013 08:39 | Quote
United States
iPhone auto correct null, sorry about that!! lol

Studio monitors
nullnaught  
27 Jan 2013 17:45 | Quote
thanks b

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.