Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

Do you think?

Technique
gshredder2112  
15 Jun 2011 20:32 | Quote
United States
Licks: 3
That a well set-up guitar and a good tone inspire to play better?
nullnaught  
15 Jun 2011 20:48 | Quote
Recording does that for me.
DarkRiff  
15 Jun 2011 21:01 | Quote
United States
Licks: 2
It does for me.
Ozzfan486  
15 Jun 2011 23:01 | Quote
United States
Licks: 1
Yes, but what is "Well set up" and what is "good tone" are completely subjective, so you've just got to find what you like, and know how to find it. I know I always seem to play better when the guitar is feeling right and the amp sounds like it's firing on all cylinders.
gshredder2112  
15 Jun 2011 23:59 | Quote
United States
Well set up means comfortable action and playabilty,no dead spots or buzz on the neck,pickup height,sfavorite tuning,string gauge,the strings are your preferable height away from the fretboard.and the scale is set correctly. And tone,I define as the timbre of your instrument that is pleasing to your ear,a well balanced eq suited to your playing style,preffered effects(compression,echo etc.),A good sounding room,the volume of your instrument to your liking.Well I could go on,but I os tired \:

\M/(*-+)
gs2112
Guitarslinger124  
16 Jun 2011 02:16 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 12
Licks: 42
gshredder2112 says:
That a well set-up guitar and a good tone inspire to play better?

Most definitely. If I can't dig my tone, I lose interest in what I am doing almost right away. I don't spend too much time practicing anymore, but when I did, if my tone was the most important part of my routine. And certainly when you are recording, tone is important. Though, I must admit, sometimes if I am itching to get an idea out of my head, I can live with a mediocre tone when recording; unless ofcoure there are stakes involved.

Rock on!
tinyskateboard  
16 Jun 2011 10:53 | Quote
United States
"well set up" can mean a few things, but the basic thing it means is that all bridge distances are adjusted for accurate intonation. If you bring your new guitar in for a setup, that is the main concern.

Not really any subjectivity there.

And I agree, this things make it fun to play. I just started working on trying to right hand mute between notes, and I had to lower all my pickup a lot to keep from having a clicking sound as my hand smashed the strings into the pole pieces of the pickups.

The biggest problem I have with tone on my electric is that I don't leave my rig setup overnight, or the kids may trash it the next day while I'm at work. I need a man-cave.
gshredder2112  
16 Jun 2011 11:05 | Quote
United States
@tsb You should do what the pro's do,whenever you find a setting on an amp/effect you like ,take a small piece of black tape and mark it,or just write it down ^_^

\M/(*-+)
gs2112
tinyskateboard  
16 Jun 2011 11:44 | Quote
United States
gs2112 - Good idea dude.
gshredder2112  
16 Jun 2011 12:02 | Quote
United States
yeah,i has pets(same thing as kids)And i put my rig away a night too,its a pain in the arse,but its the only way to make sure my gear stays in somewhat usable condition(i dont treat my stuff good)Any way use a magic marker(erasable).get a bunch of diff colors,and mark your amp/pedal settings in a color coded way per tone.Example
Blue dots setting means- metal
red dots setting -rock
You get the idea.

\M/(*-+)
gs2112
macandkanga  
16 Jun 2011 13:31 | Quote
United States
I think ANY guitar and setup has an effect on your playing. The challenge is to take what you have and make the best of it. In some respects, having a GREAT set up allows for mistakes. The setup I like the most is a guitar with great low action and tone, a little reverb with some delay, and a scooped eq. That allows me to play the music I like best with the best results. HOWEVER, I have another guitar that I like to play that has thick strings, high action, and a crappy pickup. I use a little reverb and just a little gain. It challenges me to work harder at getting tone, clean runs, and an overall good sound. Makes sense?

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.