Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

What is the key of this song? Please help!

Music Theory
avwb  
19 May 2011 09:16 | Quote
Hi guys, I'm doing a school assigment of song analysis and recognising the key of a song
is one of the tasks... I'm clueless! I tried to read the tutorials and work it out
but it's just not happening. I was wondering if someone was able to tell the key by looking
at its chords (chords is all I have, no tabs, no sheet music). The song has never been released
so there will not be anything on the interent about it. The chords below are the
first part of the song (intro, verse, chorus). I would really appreacite it,
thanks in advance!

D min
G maj
C maj
D min
G maj
F maj
d min
g min
c maj7
d min
a# maj
c maj7
d min
a# maj
c maj7
g maj
d min
g maj
f maj
g maj
d min

The song finishes with G min
gshredder2112  
19 May 2011 11:09 | Quote
United States
Licks: 3
I dont have time to go over this whole thing but just by looking i would say
Cmin DONT take this advice,im.just throwning out my guess.
tinyskateboard  
19 May 2011 11:15 | Quote
United States
Which set (of chords) is the intro, the chours and the verse? At least give us that, eh?

And welcome.
nullnaught  
19 May 2011 11:20 | Quote
Id say mostly C. But it modulates.
btimm  
19 May 2011 11:58 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 2
Licks: 1
avwb says:
I was wondering if someone was able to tell the key by looking at its chords

I would say you should probably do your own homework. Asking for help and asking someone for the answer are two totally different beasts.
gx1327  
19 May 2011 12:32 | Quote
United States
eh, we can give him some pointers to get on the right track...

A#. think about it. how many keys have an A#?

key / sharps
C / none
G / F#
D / F#, C#
A / F#, C#, G#
E / F#, C#, G#, D#
B / F#, C#, G#, D#, A#
F#/ don't even worry about F# i hate F#

BUT --- how can it be in the key of B with a C, D, and G natural?

i don't know. you are the one studying music, you tell me!

but i will say that up until the A# you have:
Dm, G, C, and F. to me that looks like ii, V, I, and IV...
btimm  
19 May 2011 12:40 | Quote
United States
gx1327 says:
eh, we can give him some pointers to get on the right track...

I absolutely agree with this.
BodomBeachTerror  
19 May 2011 14:20 | Quote
Canada
The way my guitar teacher taught me was to find all the NOTES you are playing, and then put them in order, then walla!
avwb  
19 May 2011 16:08 | Quote
Which set (of chords) is the intro, the chours and the verse? At least give us that, eh?

And welcome.

Intro
D min
G maj
C maj

Verse
D min
G maj
F maj
d min
g min

Chorus
c maj7
d min
a# maj
c maj7
d min
a# maj
c maj7
g maj
d min
g maj
f maj
g maj
d min

tinyskateboard says:
I would say you should probably do your own homework. Asking for help and asking someone for the answer are two totally different beasts.

I would normally do my own homework myself but I study music BUSINESS, and this is just something we have to do because.... i have no idea why! I don't play any instruments or read music in any way so it's a bit hard to comprehend it over night. I tried too but it was getting me nowhere hence I asked for help with this one even if 'help' is the actual answer
tinyskateboard  
19 May 2011 17:13 | Quote
United States
BBT: Can you rephrase that? I don't quite understand.
-----
I'd really like to be able to figure this out...hmmm.
BodomBeachTerror  
19 May 2011 17:47 | Quote
Canada
Find out all the notes in the chords, arrange them in order, and then play them and you'll get the key.

Say we have a G, C, and a D (chords)
the G has a G, B, and a D
the C has a C, E, and a G
the D has a D, F# and an A

so if we play the notes in order:
A B C D E F# G
We end up with a G scale (or Eminor, if you want to swing that way), starting on an A.
as a generalization, the first chord often holds the key of the song

Although its not the way a "music theorist" would do it, it works usually.. unless you play out of key chords
gshredder2112  
19 May 2011 17:56 | Quote
United States
Use the puzzle system guys.
w w h w w w h
gshredder2112  
19 May 2011 17:58 | Quote
United States

Use the puzzle system
w w h w w w h
gshredder2112  
19 May 2011 18:01 | Quote
United States
Use the puzzle system
w w h w w w h
gshredder2112  
19 May 2011 18:03 | Quote
United States
[reg] Use the puzzle system
w w h w w w h
gshredder2112  
19 May 2011 18:06 | Quote
United States
w w h w w w h
gshredder2112  
19 May 2011 18:16 | Quote
United States
ok,sorry about the spam,idk what the hell happened.Anywho.i posted my response to this on my profile,Check.it out,it should.benefit everyone.
tinyskateboard  
20 May 2011 00:14 | Quote
United States
help me out here, applying the Puzzle axiom gets us to what key? what key is the song in???
TIA
JustJeff  
20 May 2011 06:10 | Quote
United States
So wait, you are doing music business, but have no interest in music? No wonder the music industry is crap :-P

No offense, if you want to do business in something, you should at least understand it.

To answer your question, the intro is in D dorian, your verse is in D dorian, and your chorus is C Mixolydian. And I'm assuming you transcribed it to chords yourself. Your "A# major" is really a "Bb Major".

You modulate into the chorus from the verse. that's what that Gmin does.

I never heard anyone say that it's the "puzzle" axiom. It is true you use wwhwwwh, but that's to find the Ionian of the scale. When you find the mode you've gotta push it around. I have a tendency nowadays to look at the chords to figure out the key. It's not the best way to do it, but it works.
gshredder2112  
20 May 2011 09:40 | Quote
United States
^^^Jeff,a key cant be a modal name,its either maj or minor.
@ tiny,go to my profile and look.if i use the puzzle for the intro i get 3 chords from cmaj,a 2-5-1.THe ionian chord scale in triads goes

w w h w w w h
maj-min-min-maj-maj-min-dim
C D G

^^those are the chords were given.so fill in the blanks and youll have a maj scale.1-2-5 or a 2-1-5 whatever way its in cmaj.like jeff explained,its alot of other things,but i would call it cmaj personnaly.I too tired to figure out the rest,but ill be here to answer more wuestions.
gx1327  
23 May 2011 12:50 | Quote
United States
JustJeff says:
To answer your question, the intro is in D dorian, your verse is in D dorian, and your chorus is C Mixolydian.

is this because the first note played is a D? (differentiating "D Dorian" from, say, "C Major")

i agree that you should understand music if you are getting into music business, but what practical application does determining what key/mode a song is in based on its chords have? i really don't think this will ever come up in the real world...
JustJeff  
23 May 2011 17:39 | Quote
United States
@gshredder & @gx1327

I basically say that a song is in a key based on the starting chord and the resolving chord. So yes, it may be C major, but along with that, it's focusing on the Dorian mode. You can sort of inherently assume the Major/Minor key from what's given. I'm just trying to be a bit more specific.

And yes, based on the starting/resolution note, I'm saying that it's D dorian... (It's still C major... just a mode of C major).

As it may not come up in the real world. If I'm working with you and you know ** about music, I'm less likely to believe what you have to tell me.
gshredder2112  
23 May 2011 18:09 | Quote
United States
Well,dorian would be a minor mode/key.It would be acceptable to say that his progression was derived from The D dorian mode,thats fine.But his question was to find the key of the song,D dorian is not a key,its a scale in the minor family.You could say it was in the key of D min,but that wouldnt be incorrect.The only answer.i can.come up.with is that its in.Cmaj.

M/(*-+)
gs2112

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.