Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

Best ways to clean the fretboard at home

Instruments and Gear
MuseFan  
30 Apr 2011 10:36 | Quote
United Kingdom
Just wondering whats the best improvised stuff to clean the fretboard of your guitar before restringing??????
i've heard vegatable oil is good???
JazzMaverick  
30 Apr 2011 11:40 | Quote
United Kingdom
Lessons: 24
Licks: 37
I use pure balm bees wax. Really brings the wood to life again. But I always clean the board first before applying any type of wax or oil. Make sure to get rid of all the grime which tends to pack together, and can be found inside the little grooves of the wood.

Then once you've done that, apply the oil or wax onto a cloth and clean every part thoroughly.

Select a furniture oil that contains petroleum distillates. Lemon oil makes the product smell better and might add a little cleaning action due to its solvency, but it's not necessary. Avoid silicones.

Buy a good quality furniture oil. Since you use it sparingly and only clean once or twice per year, a typical bottle will last a lifetime.
gshredder2112  
30 Apr 2011 12:25 | Quote
United States
Licks: 3
Well it depends,do you have a finished or unfinished fretboard.You cannot,i reapeat cannot use a furniture polish on an unfinished fret board,such as that of a strat,it maybe to harsh for the plain wood.for unfinished fretboards use dunlop 65 ultimate lemon oil,its a lighter substitute for furniture oil,which will not harm the the wood.It usually runs about$3-$8 a bottle. and should last awhile. As for fininshed fretboardd,Do as jazzy said,she explained it perfectly.

heres a link to everthing you will,need.

http://www.google.com/m?hl=en&gl=us&client=ms-android-metropcs-us&source=android-launcher-search&q=dunlop+fretboard+cleaner
matt8675  
1 May 2011 17:57 | Quote
Australia
Licks: 2
Pour gasoline on it, set it on fire, put it out, paint over it, finnish it, repeat, wax it, and then sit it in a closet for a few years, let it rot, sand it, take a picture of it, burry it, find it, take it into outer space, stare at it, play it, replace the strings, freeze it, de thaw it, put nuclear fluid on it....... uh, see if it still works, and it should sound amazing after all that.
JazzMaverick  
1 May 2011 18:04 | Quote
United Kingdom
Lessons: 24
Licks: 37
Sounds legit!
MuseFan  
1 May 2011 18:39 | Quote
United Kingdom
sooooo trying that lol
JustJeff  
1 May 2011 18:51 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 2
So whenever I restring my guitar, I

1) Remove strings
2) Wipe down fretboard and body of guitar
3) Use cloth to apply lemon-oil product
4) Wait 10 minutes
5) Repeat step 3-5 2-3 times
6) Wipe off any excess oils
7) String guitar
8) Profit

Again, just pointing out that this is an acoustic guitar that warps when it dries out >.
BodomBeachTerror  
1 May 2011 19:02 | Quote
Canada
Licks: 1
I thought you were supposed to restring the gutiar one string at a time to keep the tension on the neck?
gshredder2112  
1 May 2011 19:07 | Quote
United States
@bbt thats for a guitar with a floating whammy bar.

@ matt tell me somethin i dont know o.0
btimm  
1 May 2011 19:10 | Quote
United States
Licks: 1
BBT and gshredder:

Correct me if I am wrong, but even if it has a floating whammy bar, it is okay to be without strings for a short duration when cleaning the fretboard right? I didn't think it would be a big deal if it was without strings for 15 minutes.
gshredder2112  
1 May 2011 19:26 | Quote
United States
yes,btiim it is ok to leave without for a few minutes.but the neck with a floating bar is used to a certain amount of tension,but it is also used to rapid tensiin changes due to a whammy bars detune feature.when u use the whammy,it changes the tension for.a few secs,no.biggie.but leaving it of.for.extended periods of time will result in some neck.warpage.
gshredder2112  
1 May 2011 19:29 | Quote
United States
so probably not more than a couple.of hours,also removing the tension off of certain brands of whammy(ie.edge pro series) will require you toi out a block ynderneath the bridge to keep the tension on the springs,so as to make it easier to add and tune bew strings.
JustJeff  
1 May 2011 19:31 | Quote
United States
get in the chatroom...

that is all.
gshredder2112  
1 May 2011 19:38 | Quote
United States
i ami am
MoshZilla1016  
1 May 2011 20:29 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 4
Licks: 19
Lemon oil is great but NEVER use on a maple fretboard. As Jazz said get all grime off of the fretboard before applying any oils.
As for the removing all the strings at one time, I've been told that if you are planning to put your axe in storage for a while be sure to loosen all strings before storing. The worse thing for a guitars neck is to lay it flat on it's back with the neck being supported by the back of the headstock. Also guitar stands with neck support is not good unless the support is just above where the neck and body meet. The best stands are the A-frame type that puts support on the back of the guitar without touching the neck. If you use a traditional stand place the guitar with the strings/fretboard facing the stand. The strings are already putting pressure on the neck so why add more tension from a stand pushing on the back of the neck. I will get a lot of disagrees on this but I was given this info by a luthier and I have guitars that have held perfect intonation for 15+ years.

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.