Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

Indie Music

General Chat
shreadhead96  
31 Oct 2010 21:16 | Quote
United States
What do you guys think of Indie Music? i personally love it, but i want to hear YOUR opinions...and if you do tell me some of your favorite indie bands
btimm  
31 Oct 2010 21:34 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 2
Licks: 1
Love it.

Minus the Bear
Pavement
Dinosaur Jr
Sebadoh

Just to name a few.
Ozzfan486  
31 Oct 2010 21:38 | Quote
United States
Eh, if I find something I like, I'll listen, and get their music. Usually though, whats popular is popular for a reason.
nullnaught  
31 Oct 2010 21:41 | Quote
What exactly does indie music mean?
BodomBeachTerror  
31 Oct 2010 21:48 | Quote
Canada
nullnaught says:
What exactly does indie music mean?

it means absolutely nothing, it just means the artists that don't use huge major labels, its not even a genre
nullnaught  
31 Oct 2010 22:01 | Quote
Thank you bodombeachterror. I assumed it was a genre that im just not familiar with.
shreadhead96  
31 Oct 2010 22:13 | Quote
United States
yeah bbt your right but today is almost a genre,,,
btimm i love thos bands!
my favs got to be
arcade fire
animal collective( and panda bears solo work)
vampire weekend
grizzly bear
thats just to name a few
btimm  
31 Oct 2010 22:44 | Quote
United States
Bodom is technically correct in that it isn't truly a genre, but so many bands have a style that gets lumped into a made up genre, indie.
gx1327  
1 Nov 2010 01:55 | Quote
United States
this is a t.... ugh...

here's the problem. arcade fire are amazing. they're brilliant. they're NOT main stream. but are they indie?

technically no, because their most recent album hit #1 on itunes.

so how do we classify this style of music? we used to call it "alternative", but all of the sudden "alternative" music included nickelback and creed. we tried to call it "college rock" but now kings of leon are supposedly a huge college rock band... and also one of the biggest bands in the US now. and again, we can't call them "indie" becuase that term really doesn't mean a lot.

heck, even arcade fire are enjoying the same praise that modest mouse created! speaking of which, do you remember that summer? modest mouse's "float on" AND franz ferdinand's "take me out" were the numbers 1 and 2 videos on MTV! MTV!!! yes the same channel that plays "catering to the lowest common denominator" and "we care not about music! we care only for ratings!"

so... be careful when you wave that "indie" flag...

don't get me wrong, i fly that flag high and proud... it's just.. i dunno. i hate how all corporate rock music is labelled as "alternative" now... but what the sheez, if you are the only rock station in st louis, how can you be the alternative? liars!!!
macandkanga  
1 Nov 2010 11:36 | Quote
United States
Idie is short for Independent. Meaning, they don't belong to any major recording labels. It's not specific to any genre as such. However, a lot of genres start out this way. I remember garage bands in the 70's, that were really metal thrash, suddenly were called Punk. In the 80's, metal garage bands were suddenly called Thrash. In the 90's, bands that mainly do concerts and free music are called Jam Bands, like Phish and Umphrey's McGee. Now, bands on independent labels will probably be called Idie.
tinyskateboard  
1 Nov 2010 12:08 | Quote
United States
Independent from Influence.

I believe part of the current idea on indie, is independent from major label controlled songcrafting. Some labels sign on artists and then exert influence over the music they create. Your big huge labels could fit this bill. Some labels sign on bands and keep their hands out of the production process.

If a band makes music for themselves and not to try to increase album sales, then they might be independent...or Indie.

I like Mastodon.

Most of pitchforks sweethearts could be called indie.

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/best/

http://pitchfork.com/features/staff-lists/7744-the-top-50-albums-of-2009/5/
deadman2k666  
1 Nov 2010 13:37 | Quote
Canada
Lessons: 1
if NPR or CBC Radio 2 and/or 3 air it, generally it is indie music.

the ones im diggin these days are

Tokyo Police Club
In-flight Safety
English Words
Cuff the Duke
The Hold Steady

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.