Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

Acoustic String Suggestions

Instruments and Gear
btimm  
28 Jun 2010 23:05 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 2
Licks: 1
So I cleaned and restrung (word?) my acoustic today and it went well enough, but I just have on issue. I tune it, all the strings sound in tune and I'm ready to go. Aaaaaand the nice deep tone I loved with this guitar is replaced with a cheap sounding tinny piece of crap!! The person at the local music shop suggested D'addario Light strings. Does anyone have some suggestions for a nice set of strings that doesn't sound like I just picked up a junkyard guitar?! Much thanks!!
btimm  
29 Jun 2010 06:48 | Quote
United States
I forgot to add that I did some research and it appears that the factory strings for the AEL20E are D'Addario Bronze 80/20 Light 12-53. I checked the strings I bought and they are D'Addario Bronze 80/20 Light 12-54. These shouldn't sound much different should they? I am not sure why it sounds so different to me now. :o(
btimm  
29 Jun 2010 06:54 | Quote
United States
I know, why am I continuing to post on my own thread? lol I did some more research still and am gonna just try medium strings and see how it sounds. Hopefully it sounds better!!
Phip  
29 Jun 2010 07:39 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 1
Btimm, I'm not sure why they sound different either. You are aware that the fattest sting is the one closest to your chin yes? I'M JOKING BTIMM, JUST JOKING! LOL
I use D'Addario and I've used Elixir (both lights) and like them both. "medium" gauge will give you a deeper sound but remember that they are harder to fret (slightly)
Phip
carlsnow  
29 Jun 2010 08:45 | Quote
United States
Btimm :

btimm says:
So I cleaned and restrung (word?) my acoustic today and it went well enough, but I just have on issue. I tune it, all the strings sound in tune and I'm ready to go. Aaaaaand the nice deep tone I loved with this guitar is replaced with a cheap sounding tinny piece of crap!! The person at the local music shop suggested D'addario Light strings. Does anyone have some suggestions for a nice set of strings that doesn't sound like I just picked up a junkyard guitar?! Much thanks!!

Man. (thumps head) ... I dunno why yer Plank is acting up like that on ya .. those are good strings.
I'm not saying this is the case at your store BUT some chain-stores have been known to place old-strings (sold at singles) in a "name" box to make an extra buck. I know. I caught the local Home-Depot, er i mean, Guitar Center(M-Friend outlet) doing this to a student of mine; I string for him (he's 9 and just starting) and noticed that his "D'Addario's" lacked the color-coded "balls" (forgot what the heck ya call hat wrap-around-the-end thang) ...ain't saying this happened to you but always check if the strings are NOT in a bag in the bag, Dig?

Most likely you ran into a 'bad-run' / 'bad-batch' of strings that got past quality control...
-OR-
...bought a pair that had been hanging (literally) around way to long and/or exposed to quick changes in humidity and air-temperature.

Phip says:
I use D'Addario and I've used Elixir (both lights) and like them both.

...As do I !

after playing everydamnstringknowntoman(lol)i have settled on two 'go-to's
BUT first:
A suggestion (that could save ya some cash!)...
Try the 10-pack-box deal (for all my acoustics that = 10 set "pro-pack" D'Addario EJ16 Light 12-53 Phosphor Bronze) at Musicians Friend(etc) ... you end up paying something like $4.50 a pack that way, rather than the 650 or whatever ya pay at the local music store.
Dont get me wrong; i am VERY adamant about supporting my Locals (heck i know 'em all) but strings (esp fer a guy like me) are always wayyy overpriced there.

I don't know how often you change strings Btimm, but for me, its an 'every two weeks' deal for most of 'em (the planks that is). This is due to teaching, Gigging, Practicing, Session-ing, so much, but IMO strings (both Ac & Elec) 'need' changing at least once a month fer "normal" folk. This 'rule of thumb' was established in the 70's when i'd take Pop's check to Terry (my teacher) and with the extra 3 bucks cash Pop gave (..on Terry's suggestion) i'd have the store string my olden lil-kid guitar. When T more than suggested that I string my OWN guitar, I continued the practice. It was then as is now, the basic life of a string (thats played).
Elixirs are great strings but they are insanely overpriced... YES they last (a bit) longer and have great tonal properties, BUT, do not play/sound "twice the price(and then some)" better , if ya get muh drift.

Phip says:
"medium" gauge will give you a deeper sound but remember that they are harder to fret (slightly)

all medium-strings will do is mess ya up at this point , imo, as a guitar needs to be re-intonated and 'trussed' a bit (esp. Ac's) for this change to help you.

I would caution against that move for those reasons.
btimm  
29 Jun 2010 09:51 | Quote
United States
Wow, that is some golden advice guys! Thanks so much. I'll stick to light then for now and maybe just restring it again. Hey, the practice certainly can't hurt!

Carl, I have never changed strings on the acoustic before and did so once with my electric. I try to get in about 30 minutes of play or so per day. I know it isn't much and I won't become a star or anything that way, but I enjoy learning and that is really my goal. To learn and improve. I remember reading that just like you JustJeff changes his strings every couple weeks as well. I'll be making it a monthly thing from now on!! :)
carlsnow  
30 Jun 2010 08:07 | Quote
United States
btimm says:
I'll be making it a monthly thing from now on!! :)

Great! ... your guitar , your ears and your fingers will thank you! :)

RAWK!
Cs

nater2  
30 Jun 2010 15:22 | Quote
United States
well, just my two cents but godin's acoustic strings sound and play better than any other brand of strings i have ever tried and i would strongly recommend them to anyone
carlsnow  
30 Jun 2010 15:31 | Quote
United States
nater2 says:
godin's acoustic strings sound and play better than any other brand of strings i have ever tried and i would strongly recommend them to anyone

wow .. i was completely unaware that Godin even made strings, let alone good ones.
I'll try a pack of their Elecs on my Godin LGX-Pro! .. I mean wtf? should be a great match (tho the years tell me "don't believe it 'till ya hear it" (LOL) .. anyways ... pretty nifty, wonder who they sub-out to make them?

Hanx fer the Tip Nater!'

RAWK!
Cs
Guitarslinger124  
30 Jun 2010 19:53 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 12
Licks: 42
Personally I'd never buy anything besides Ernie Ball, but I'm not much for acoustic so I have no personal preference there. However, my father uses Dean Markley on his Carvin acoustic. I have yet to hear an acoustic that sounds better than his with the Dean's on there. They are so loud and well, I want to use the word rambunctious but somehow I don't think that is a good word hehe.

Seriously though, it sounds like there is a graphic EQ inside each string. Couldn't tell you what gauge, but I would recommend these strings for sure.

Just my 2˘

«Rock on!»
nater2  
30 Jun 2010 20:47 | Quote
United States
idk about Godin's electric strings but all seagull and Godin guitars have them from the factory
BodomBeachTerror  
30 Jun 2010 21:00 | Quote
Canada
nater2 says:
idk about Godin's electric strings but all seagull and Godin guitars have them from the factory

and Simon and Patrick
nullnaught  
7 Jul 2010 21:09 | Quote
I will try the godin's?

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.