Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

Busy making 1st CD

General Chat
Reinhardt  
10 May 2010 14:37 | Quote
South Africa
Im busy making a cd, wil be done in about 4 weeks(not like a album but just a few songs put together to sell at our live gigs and for demo's purposes. Already orginized it with the sound recording studio people.
My question?: Well I like taking licks from other bands like Rodrigo y gabriela and put it together to form my own piece but stil have much of their licks in it. Is it legal for me to put it on my cd? I see alot of bands do covers (even them) and make money of it? and ive heard alot of mix opinions on this subject like "no you cant steal that lick" bs like that. . .

The do's and dont's wud be appreciated thanks!
Admiral  
10 May 2010 14:51 | Quote
Germany
Lessons: 1
well, taking their licks on purpose wont make it "your songs" in the end, will it? I don't think on the scale of your CD sales (not pun intended, maybe this album will be your breakthrough!) i don't think anybody will try to sue you. As said, if you use them accidentally who cares? but i personally wouldn't want to take licks from other bands to make my songs.
Reinhardt  
10 May 2010 14:59 | Quote
South Africa
I wont claim a song that I got a lick from my own, but i can maybe at least say that these songs are inspired by this and that? on the cover or back?
Mistaluke  
10 May 2010 15:08 | Quote
I would say Do it!
No one owns Licks or guitar chords
I mean ive seen band use other songs licks and they dont get sued
i think you'll be able to do it with out being sued
Reinhardt  
10 May 2010 15:34 | Quote
South Africa
Yea i agree with u! as long as you dont copy the whole song exactly as the original?
Phip  
10 May 2010 18:14 | Quote
United States
Although it is not illegal you most likely WILL PAY ROYATIES to the original artist/writer.
Classic example of ALL TIME is Kid Rock's "All Summer Long" a complete and undisputed rip off of Warren Zevon's "Werewolves Of London" and Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Sweet Home Alabama.
When I first heard this song for the very first time I wanted to reach through the radio and smack him! My view has softened since but I don't in any way give any credit to Kid Rock for writing talent or originality. I give him credit only for being good at taking someone else's song and making a million bucks! Expect to pay royalties.
Phip
Bilbo  
10 May 2010 18:45 | Quote
United States
When I first heard this song for the very first time I wanted to reach through the radio and smack him!

Amen to that Phip! LOL :-D
Reinhardt  
11 May 2010 04:15 | Quote
South Africa
first of all its going to be a "instrumental CD" about 9 tracks, most of my own, there and there will be some familiar licks from rodrigo y gabriela and maybe one or two cover tunes from jesse cook ect. . .
Phip  
11 May 2010 06:10 | Quote
United States
@Reinhardt,
Just wanted to make myself clear, I wasn't slamming you for doing covers or using familiar licks. I only wanted to let you know that you might get a phone call regarding those covers or licks. My indifference to Kid Rock wasn't aimed at you! No offense intended.
Phip
Reinhardt  
11 May 2010 06:45 | Quote
South Africa
Lol thanks Phip no offence taken! What will that phone call be about?
carlsnow  
11 May 2010 07:20 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 2
i think Phip is refering to your stated usage of:
"familiar licks from rodrigo y gabriela and maybe one or two cover tunes from jesse cook"

as he mentioned in an earlier post, this will lead to 'you having to pay royalties' (prob wont happen cause its a Promo-cd as ya mentioned - but if released you could wind up in 'trouble' if ya don't get permission(s) from the artist(s) and/or their publishing company(s) to use the aforementioned "familiar licks", and certainly if you do an outright cover (Cook).

a way to cover yourself (this being a demo thing , as ya said) is to credit each songs 'references'. Thats an easy step if ya cover a Jesse Cook song, as ya just place "written by: Jesse Cook" under the tune and add his Publishing Company's name with HIS published name, (IE: I publish, under my name, through ASCAP as 'Useless Songs')
as for the "familiar licks" (Gabriela), a simple "inspired by" would work, unless (again) you end up releasing the cd to the public; if that happens you will need to treat the Gabriela licks the some way as the Cook songs.

Hope this helped ya !

RAWK!
Cs

Global Disclaimer :
Carl Snow is an old, jaded & slightly bitter old man who cannot be held accountable for anything, much less his opinionatedly opinionated opinions or those of his imaginary friends. We sincerely apologize if this Carl Snow and/or its behavior have infected you or others with its ugly brain and its juices.
Reinhardt  
11 May 2010 07:58 | Quote
South Africa
Thanks alot carl!
Yes this cd is not going to the shelves but only will sell it locally at gigs.

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.