Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

does anybody have any music theory questions?

Technique
guitarbadass  
15 Oct 2009 23:02 | Quote
United States
if so maybe i can help i,m good with theory,so whatcha got?
apollos  
15 Oct 2009 23:04 | Quote
United States
my friend at school is teaching me music theory and so far i know how to read some sheet music but im wondering how do i start makin music now that i know how to make the treble cleffs and lines and stuff. like how do i start composing music wiht the blank sheets in my hand
case211  
15 Oct 2009 23:56 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 2
Licks: 6
just start noodling with chords and the different notes in whatever order man. There's really no laws or rules with making sweet sweet music.
guitarbadass  
16 Oct 2009 01:50 | Quote
United States
thats right just experiment and you,ll come up with somethin good,
Empirism  
16 Oct 2009 16:45 | Quote
Finland
Lessons: 4
apollos says:
like how do i start composing music wiht the blank sheets in my hand!

Exellent! :P I underline that one ^_^, Well its cool what some Mozart did, but unlikely I cant jam or experimenting in my head. I need sounds XD.
apollos  
16 Oct 2009 20:26 | Quote
United States
Copy and Paste quote here!

Exellent! :P I underline that one ^_^, Well its cool what some Mozart did, but unlikely I cant jam or experimenting in my head. I need sounds XD.

i didnt understand what u said can u explain
Empirism  
17 Oct 2009 12:05 | Quote
Finland
Lessons: 4
Doh.. I just liked the line I quoted :). I mean its cool if you can think and write music or whole composition just to paper like Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart did to notations.

But me forexample, I could not experimenting scales or jamming to rhythm and you know... kinda stuff you do with bands or over the recordings. I need sounds or background (allright, Sometimes I have idea to rhythm or theme to song, but anyway...) to write or compose music.

I rarely do not have an idea when I start to make my own compositions, I just do some drums or rhythm track and start to jam over it... some times rhythm lead me to some way, sometimes chordprogression just born there and that leads me to some melodies through jamming and experimenting.

Cheers!
Empirism
apollos  
17 Oct 2009 23:44 | Quote
United States
o yea everyones different. im used to playing alone wiht myself(no homo) and i can just think of random riffs. i dnt have any tracks to play that i can jam to. im trying to learn how to write music so i canput my riffs that i make up down on paper
PummeledByFoliage  
17 Oct 2009 23:55 | Quote
United States
It seems like you're having more difficulty notating your compositions rather than coming up with them. (If I'm wrong, please tell me, haha.) Learning basic theory seems like a good place to start. If you feel like you need a more structured approach, start by choosing a key signature and a time signature (Or find out what key and time signature the riff you thought up is in) and try your best to translate that onto paper. I'm sure there are lessons on here that could steer you in the right direction.
Meister23  
28 Oct 2009 19:42 | Quote
United States
I'm having trouble understanding the relationship between the sub-dominant, the tonic and the dominant triads. Any insight?
BodomBeachTerror  
28 Oct 2009 19:47 | Quote
Canada
Licks: 1
tonic triads are triads that start on the first note of the scale.
Sub-dominant triads start on the 4th note of the scale.
Dominant triads start on the 5th not of the scale.

i think
guitarbadass  
28 Oct 2009 21:09 | Quote
United States
hes right
Meister23  
28 Oct 2009 21:10 | Quote
United States
But I thought I read something about the perfect fifths and the triads?
JustJeff  
28 Oct 2009 22:32 | Quote
United States
For those math majors out there:

There exists a perfect fifth for every major/minor triad in music between the root and the 5th.
gx1327  
29 Oct 2009 12:34 | Quote
United States
i haven't had someone explain to me the relationships between a major scale and its modes yet. for instance, G Major is G A B C D E F#. the myx. mode of the G Major scale is 1 2 3 4 5 6 7b, or G A B C D E F... but these are the same notes as C Major (obviously with a different root note).

so my question is: what is the difference between C Major and G Myxolidian? this question came up because somewhere on this site (in the licks section, i believe) there is a scale that someone has written in C Dorian... or whatever. i don't remember the exact scale/mode. but my question is if someone says "here is a scale written in G Myxolidian" why is it G Myx. and not C Maj? they are the same notes. what's the difference?

i know differnt modes have different sounds/feels to them, but that is just if you are playing teh scale. if you are just hamming out a solo you aren't playing a scale, you are just playing notes.
Afro_Raven  
29 Oct 2009 12:57 | Quote
United Kingdom
Lessons: 1
gx - check out my lesson on 'Modes and how to use them' and Jazz's lesson 'Major scale and modes within'. They should hopefully help you out a bit :)

Afro
Meister23  
29 Oct 2009 14:27 | Quote
United States

There exists a perfect fifth for every major/minor triad in music between the root and the 5th.

do you mean between the root and the 7th?

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.