6 Feb 2009 02:15 | Quote
Canada
Lessons: 2
Licks: 1

JustJeff  
6 Feb 2009 08:27 | Quote
United States
For the first one... You have more than 3 strings on a guitar! Utilize them! I know it's just a riff, but it's a very bland riff. It's structured very well for a verse of a song, but it's missing a lot.

For your second which I assume is a solo, I have a few suggestions:

Work on your timing! Get a metronome out and try to find what tempo you are playing at, and you will see that you aren't following any tempo. In some cases this is okay, but if you are going to be solo'ing, you need to follow the band, and if you aren't keeping an even tempo, you will lose your spot in the song and it will probably sound a bit off.

Other than that, it seems that you are a little shaky with your fingerings. Be confident in what you are playing! The minute you start holding back because you think you might mess up is the minute that you will never be perfect. You need to put it all out every time you play.

Take these with a grain of salt, if you listen to what I listen to, you would know this is not my style of music. However, this is coming from one musician to another.
JazzMaverick  
6 Feb 2009 10:59 | Quote
United Kingdom
Lessons: 24
Licks: 37
Exactly what JustJeff said. You seem to like things with bass, but the guitar isn't just about the low strings when it comes to a riff. You've got good ideas, but you need to venture out of what you know and experiment! Be brave and lose yourself in what you're doing! It's a lot of fun.

Second vid, definitely need to improve with your timing. Constantly play to a Metronome otherwise you'll never be able to understand timing properly. Also, you're still sticking to the same position I've been watching you play for a fair few months now. Study it in more detail. You might find my Scales and arpeggios lesson a lot of help here.

To add on the confidence, if you make a mistake, forget about it! Try not to think about it, espiceally if you're playing live! If you think about it it's almost certain the rest of the solo/ song will fall apart. Everyone makes mistakes and even the greats do it during their live performances, the difference between them though is that they turn their mistakes into a new part of the solo, they expand on their mistakes and make it sound awesome.

BodomBeachTerror  
6 Feb 2009 11:46 | Quote
Canada
first song
yeah, im not very good at acoustic guitar, im tryin to get better with it

2nd
when i play along with something i can keep timing fairly decent, here i was just improvising, and, ideas dont come that quick to me sometimes so there was lots of pauses and slow note switches.
and how have i been sticking to the same position? just wondering

ill havta find the metronome
soy.el.che  
6 Feb 2009 12:14 | Quote
Mexico
Lessons: 1
maybe if you make shorter the first one it will sound better like a riff

jazzy is right bout mistakes.. ignore them, even though sometimes i find it hard to ignore mines...
JustJeff  
6 Feb 2009 13:55 | Quote
United States
It is very hard to ignore mistakes, however I've learned that sometimes mistakes are fine, and become something as part of the song. Though it is easier to hide your mistakes behind grain, amp noise, and effects, you shouldn't have to worry about that much
JazzMaverick  
6 Feb 2009 14:50 | Quote
United Kingdom
Lessons: 24
Licks: 37
Well, sometimes the little mistakes we notice aren't even noticed by the listeners. So sometimes we just worry too much. If you're not using any effects like me, sometimes it can be a little difficult to hide your mistakes but then again it can show you what you need to improve on instead of rushing ahead.

Take a look at your second video again, do you see that you're only playing around the same frets the whole time? That's what I mean when I say you're playing in the same position, you need to look at what you're playing elsewhere, and not just jumping to the octave like almost everyone does. It's boring and lacks creativity. Play everything in between and you'll bring your solos and improvisations to life.
BodomBeachTerror  
6 Feb 2009 15:02 | Quote
Canada
hmm i see. thanks
league  
6 Feb 2009 19:14 | Quote
United States
I used to play like you when I started out except you seem more dedicated all you have to do is practice.

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.