Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

becker malmsteen

Music and Bands
BodomBeachTerror  
3 Nov 2008 23:24 | Quote
Canada
Lessons: 2
Licks: 1
okay, well Yngwie Malmsteen has a song called Black Star, and i just saw on youtube Jason Becker playing the same song, or very similar. so who wrote it? or is it a song from the classical period?
Nutter166  
4 Nov 2008 00:45 | Quote
Wales
Licks: 2
I believe it was Yngwie who originally composed the song and Becker has covered it.
shredguitar17  
4 Nov 2008 04:07 | Quote
United States
Yngwie. However, Becker is in my opinion a better musician and guitarist. Eventhough he has ALS, he can still compose music and communicates with his eyes. He has the technical proficiency (ie fast, accurate) and he has the essence of music down really well. Listen to altitudes or air by becker and compare it to malmsteen's black star or arpeggios from hell. You will find that malmsteen, although extremely fast and technical, that his songs have no "essence" no feeling, just shallow arpeggios and sweeps with repetive licks and diminished descents. Becker's songs however, have feeling, and is played with feeling unlike malmsteen. Oh and Becker does an amazing arrangment of the violin virtuoso Niccolo Paganini's 24th Cappricio. Check it its legite.
exp  
4 Nov 2008 05:30 | Quote
Netherlands
Hmm, I must agree with you on Arps from Hell, but Malmsteen said, it was just for fun; a study in over the top arpeggio's.
Black Star is quite a song, and by calling it
Quote:
...just shallow arpeggios and sweeps with repetive licks and diminished descents.
you're not giving it the credit it deserves.
On the other hand, Becker is a player who is better at dosing his playing.

EMB5490  
4 Nov 2008 07:52 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 1
yngwie. but becker is better in my opinion, hes the most unknown/ underrated guitarist.
Empirism  
4 Nov 2008 08:32 | Quote
Finland
Lessons: 4
Yngwie wrote or should I say re-compose it more fit to heavy metal genre of our time. Melodies and tricks in that song was though orginally written by J.S Bach. Im not sure if it goes same note by note, but definately atleast inspired by Bach.
BodomBeachTerror  
4 Nov 2008 10:47 | Quote
Canada
okay thanks. im not putting one above another, ive heard alot more Malmsteen than i have Becker.. but Yngwie isnt all just fast and emotionless. there is quite alot of "feeling" in his music. altho i agree Altitudes has so much more
macandkanga  
4 Nov 2008 18:45 | Quote
United States
I don't know why anyone would even want to compare malmsteen and becker. Sure, they both do/did the neo-classical thing but they are very different at their approach to their music.

Personally, i prefer becker over malmsteen. He's more melodic and takes more risks musically than malmsteen.

And yeah, that's becker playing malmsteens tune on youtube.

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.