Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

How to Create Your own Style

Technique
Notim  
29 Aug 2008 14:27 | Quote
United States
It could just be me but the way I play its hard for me to find someone to hang with me,But I quit lisening to other guitar players because every time I played I can hear this guitar player or that guitar player and I got frustrated and just quit lisening,So now when I pick up a guitar I play like my self,not some one else....just wondering what you guys and girls thought of this.I know its not good to do this cause I'm missing alot but its the only way I could figure to play whats in my head.
BodomBeachTerror  
29 Aug 2008 14:43 | Quote
Canada
Lessons: 2
Licks: 1
thats a good idea actually.. cept its harder to learn new things that way

like when i go on youtube and watch lessons or wutever, then play it, almost everytime i learn something new
Notim  
29 Aug 2008 14:49 | Quote
United States
We'll I'm really not trying to learn something I'm just trying to play like my self....Kinda hard to explain.
baudelaire  
29 Aug 2008 19:25 | Quote
Brazil
playing like yourself is of no inherent value. "there is nothing new under the sun". whatever you are doing, is not original by any stretch of the imagination, simply because 'creativity' is really just a measure of how well you hide your sources.

"the difference between a good artist and a bad artist is that a bad artist seems to copy other artists a great deal, but a good artist actually does". -william blake.

your job is to steal as many techniques and flavors as you can, and combine them in such a way it seems original. if you try not to be influenced by others, (your superiors no less) you will never be creative or have your own style.
EMB5490  
29 Aug 2008 20:29 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 1
i dont think u crate ur own style, its urs, u develop it.
telecrater  
29 Aug 2008 20:48 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 8
I think your sound can be different from person to person.

Look some guys can be happy just playing cover songs and such while others need to be creative. I think just what you like and what you enjoy an every thing else will fall into place.
CTown  
30 Aug 2008 02:39 | Quote
United States
I think you should do the exact opposite and listen to as many guitar players as possible. It's natural that you pick up bits and pieces from other guitarists. You've been doing this your whole life w/ everything you learned (speech patterns, belief systems, etc.) Your brain is always taking in information, taking the useful and ignoring the "junk." The outcome is what you got out of what you observed. Everyone's influences are different, thus, everyone's style is as well.

Any guitarist has direct influences who can be traced further and further back. I don't think you'd ever confuse the styles of Tom Morello with that of Son House, but there is a connection.

We could all play a cover of the same song and they could all sound different and I think there is a degree of creativity in that. (ie. Johnny Cash's version of Hurt).
league  
31 Aug 2008 16:09 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 2
Baudelaire has a good point. Thats a very straightforward way to look at it. Everyone is inluenced by someone; thats how humans are.
JazzMaverick  
31 Aug 2008 17:08 | Quote
United Kingdom
Lessons: 24
Licks: 37
I know what you mean; I used to be like that, and never want to listen to anyone else. But trust me when I say it's really, really not good for you. All you need to do is find your inspiration. Perhaps a teacher can help you there. Baudelaire is so right when he says to steal as many techniques and flavours.

What style are you into, Notim? Perhaps broaden your interests, you may find your real inspiration if you do that.
Notim  
5 Sep 2008 22:05 | Quote
United States
We'll I just play my own stuff,dont listen to much like i said ,The last thing I recorded sounds like this http://www.showcaseyourmusic.com/HeavyLaidin
JazzMaverick  
6 Sep 2008 11:29 | Quote
United Kingdom
I think it's pretty good, a little timing issues with your solo, but I like your phrasing along with your feel and techniques.

Just keep playing what you like to make, as long as it sounds good to you.
Notim  
6 Sep 2008 15:22 | Quote
United States
Thanks! Ya my timing has allways be wierd..GS said that too. That is probally the most mellow thing i have ever recorded ,just thought I'd do something diffrent.When ever i get my recording computer back I'll mix down the other music I have and give ya a yell.
JazzMaverick  
6 Sep 2008 17:39 | Quote
United Kingdom
Good, will be looking forward to hearing it.

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.