Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

Complete beginner here left hand!!

Beginners
canova  
31 Oct 2011 06:00 | Quote
I'm a beginner with a guitar, a left hand guitar..do u have some suggestions please? any..
devilchild  
31 Oct 2011 07:26 | Quote
United Kingdom
I don't think a left hand guitar is much different to a right handed one, if you're left handed, when you look at tabs it might be a bit more difficult. Start by learning the string names and reading tab (Try this lesson http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/lesson.php?id=99) then learn some chords. (This lesson is kind of good http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/lesson.php?id=25)but you'll have to think of the tab the other way around, it might be a little bit difficult at first.
I hope this is what you were after, just remember to enjoy playing :)
Domigan_Lefty  
31 Oct 2011 14:40 | Quote
United States
Visibly: Left handed is an exact mirror of right handed.
Once you hold/wear a left handed guitar, it's exactaly the same as right handed, with the exception of you swap the word right with left and vice-versa.

Tabs are no different, Tuning is no different, Sheets are no different, strings are no different, etc.

If you read/hear/whatever a guitar lesson, just swap the words (left hand) with (Right hand), and (right hand) with (left hand).
Everything else will be done the same as labeled right handed.

SN Domigan-
4 years full time Left Handed Guitar
10 years total Left Handed Guitar

TABS ARE NOT REVERSED
Common mistake, but tabs are read exactaly the same.
JustJeff  
31 Oct 2011 22:42 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 2
As a beginner and a fellow lefty, I have some advice for you.

Get rid of it. Buy a right handed guitar, and learn that way. You'll be kicking yourself when you want to buy guitars and you can't because they are all right handed. Be prepared to spend more money for the same product just because you are backwards. Restringing right handed guitars for left handed sucks, and is a waste of time.

Anyway, you end up getting your dominant hand on the fretboard, which makes more sense than having your dominant hand picking.
devilchild  
1 Nov 2011 11:41 | Quote
United Kingdom
Domigan_Lefty says:
TABS ARE NOT REVERSED
Common mistake, but tabs are read exactaly the same.

Sorry, I was wrong
Domigan_Lefty  
1 Nov 2011 14:38 | Quote
United States
I prefer my dominant hand on pluck/strum duty.

I think of it as a pencil and paper. I hold my pick similar to how I hold a pencil, and my right hand takes care of tapping when I'm bored and turning the page, etc...

But true; don't waste time restringing right handed for lefty, it doesn't work out as well as it seems it would. And Left Handed guitars always cost more unless The owner/manager of a locally owned guitar shop has one in stock, and is nice enough to give you a discount.
Guitar Center rarely carries lefty guitars, and they are almost always EXTREMELY overpriced crap, or Not well built.
Lefty guitars come in less of a selection of shapes, colors, scales, and are almost always out of stock wherever you go.

But I still prefer to play left-handed.
It Distinguishes me from other guitarists, people don't mess with my guitar if I let it spend the night at school (I play for the Jazz Band), and I mostly play Barre chords, but in a way where my picking hand requires the more dominant hand to play
macandkanga  
2 Nov 2011 12:48 | Quote
United States
My Bro is a lefty and plays right-handed. He's much better at finger picking than I am. I think it's because your dominant hand is more staccato and the other hand is more legato. I solo better than he does.

One thing I do know is this: when I used to lift weights my left arm, overtime, got a lot stronger than the right. That's because the weaker arm curling the same amount of weight as the stronger was building more muscle as a result. It would tear down more. I could max curl more with my left than with my right.

None of this probably makes any sense. I'm bored.
Useless  
10 Nov 2011 19:44 | Quote
I think the only problem you'll have is finding left-handed strings.
Domigan_Lefty  
10 Nov 2011 19:47 | Quote
United States
^^ *facepalm*

Don't believe this guy. There's no such thing as left-handed strings.
Strings are the same Lefty or Righty
GuItArMeTaL13  
11 Nov 2011 04:57 | Quote
United Kingdom
yeah there all the same
Useless  
11 Nov 2011 15:28 | Quote
No they are not and I bet that's what is hoding this beginner back.
I've SEEN left-handed strings.
GuItArMeTaL13  
11 Nov 2011 16:28 | Quote
United Kingdom
Lol they can't be that different
MoshZilla1016  
11 Nov 2011 16:31 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 4
Licks: 19
He saw left handed strings after smoking left handed cigarettes.
Useless  
11 Nov 2011 18:18 | Quote

Truly I suggest what most of us apparently have done.
Start playing with someone you like.
Learn together and STAY AT IT no matter how dark it might seem.
Sometimes I haven't appreciated how far I've come until I lock up with someone else.
It grows exponentially and never forget that

nobody knows it all.
Ozzfan486  
11 Nov 2011 20:37 | Quote
United States
Licks: 1
I agree with Jeff. I'm a lefty too and the prices on those guitars are nuts. I haven't had any problems learning right-handed at all, I just think once in a while that I might have been able to adapt a little faster had I played lefty. But its all fine now, just practice hard and it'll pay off.
GuItArMeTaL13  
12 Nov 2011 05:47 | Quote
United Kingdom
One time i did not know if i was left or right,lol

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.