Home | Scales | Tuner | Forum

how can i fix the scratches on my guitar?

General Chat
admtav_21  
13 Apr 2007 12:09 | Quote
Is there a product that you guys know of that can be used to fix minor scratches on my guitar? I don't want to take it to the shop since they tend to overcharge on 5 minutes worth of work.

any ideas?

simon73  
15 Apr 2007 07:07 | Quote
Lessons: 8
Hi
Yes you can do this but be carful as liquid paste cleaners can cause a lot of problems as deep straches can penatrate into the wood of the guitar and when filled in make it look white and rather sh*t looking. GHS do some products to fill in strahes but that is up to you if you want to use them

http://www.ghsstrings.com/

Other wise you may end up paying for a re-spray if the straches are too deep. I think you are on a bout minor scratches that you can see in the light. But be carful not to spoil your guitar if you know nothing about this sort of thing this is why I am not going too deep into it for the time
Anyway good luck
kmish  
30 Apr 2007 21:49 | Quote
United States
if i were you id just leave the scratches there. theyre like battle scars, it shows you play the guitar a lot

look at stevie ray vaughan's guitar..........

anyway the scratches, even if you do get rid of them, theyll come back in less than 2 days
luckyhubbie  
3 May 2007 12:20 | Quote
United States
I'm with Kmish. Any repair you make to the guitar will only be for aesthetics. It will not improve the sound or the value. Now having said that be sure to continue to clean your guitar according to manufacturers specs. Also if the scratch is on the pick guard those can be repaired or replaced. I bought a martin and used the picks that Sam Ash gave me. The put black marks all over the pick guard and a little nail polish remover took them right off. Which was good because I returned the guitar three weeks later.
pronstmaster  
23 May 2009 19:54 | Quote
ok so i bought this guitar from a friend it works but i dont like the looks of it, mainly cuz there is a huge gash onthe side...

so i want to sand down the fisrt layer of the guitar so it is just the plain wood, then i want to stain it, a certain color is this ok to do?
BodomBeachTerror  
23 May 2009 20:08 | Quote
Canada
Lessons: 2
Licks: 1
dig, none of these members are here anymore
pronstmaster  
23 May 2009 20:53 | Quote
league  
23 May 2009 21:07 | Quote
United States
HAHAAAAAAAA!!!!! Sorry but this is really old.

New forum members always bring these topics up. Here's a tip:

If the thread is old or the post date is old just ignore it, unless it pertains to a question you have.
BodomBeachTerror  
23 May 2009 22:43 | Quote
Canada
Licks: 1
yea if its more than 2 or 3 pages back its probably too old
telecrater  
24 May 2009 09:14 | Quote
United States
Lessons: 8
Why ignore the old posts? would it make more since to continue an old conversation rather than to have 17 different threads on one subject?

anyway try using turtle wax or some other car wax and a buffer to get rid of scratches on the guitar. You may need to gut the guitar to do it right. If you don't want to use a buffer use a Pad (as in femail hygiene pad).
league  
24 May 2009 17:52 | Quote
United States
I guess if someone takes the time to retrieve an old post they deserve an answer. Also, sometimes there's a stagnation of random threads.
JustJeff  
25 May 2009 11:48 | Quote
United States
If a scratch or a dent gets to the wood of the guitar, you may suffer tone loss when fixing it. I know with my guitar, I have a deep scratch on my body (More of a split :() But I'm afraid if I fix it, I'll lose the tone of the guitar. If you've ever seen some guitarists and the guitars they use, minor body scratches/splits are not that important and tend to make a guitar sound more aged.

Copyright © 2004-2017 All-Guitar-Chords.com. All rights reserved.